Hello All from Northern CA,

Great site!

New to the sport, I recently inherited a number of firearms and also picked up my first rifle Savage 111 30.06.

I've only been able to take her out once thus far and put about 5 rounds through her (was with some friends).

So i haven't had a lot of range time with her.

However i'd like to put an inexpensive muzzle brake on her to reduce the recoil.

Couple questions, i've read while searching around various sites that while muzzle brakes reduce recoil about 30% they also increase the sound of the rifle to the sides of the gun? true? yes/no? Is this something that people in general frown upon? say are people gonna be pissed at me if i plop down next to them at the range with my 30.06 muzzle brake? I assume there is a certain amount of acceptance that hey we are at a gun range it's gonna be loud... (the thing is already SO loud... lol)

All that being said...

Can anyone recommend Muzzle brake more on the inexpensive side? say under $100

My plans for the rifle short term and long term...

I picked up 100 rounds of the cheap russian bear 30.06 stuff from CTD.

I'm planning on going through the 100 rounds and hopefully really getting a feel for the rifle and shooting a rifle in general. My father in laws hunts and i may go with him sometime as i'm also getting ready to take my hunter's ED course.

The hunting part is of course a maybe... i'll more likely be picking up a shotgun and going for some turkey's

I don't have a range nearby with any distance longer than 100y (that i know of)

This rifle will probably spend most of it's time at the range.

SO

My thinking is...

Because i can't find any decent ammo under .63 cents

I'd like to get the muzzle brake for the 30.06 barrel...

then perhaps a new trigger from http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

At that point... depending on my initiative and weather i've found a longer range or am going after bigger game hunting... I'll go for some new glass.

OR... if i find i'm not hunting... and spending more time at the range... i'd like to rebarrel to .308... (cheaper ammo from what i've seen)

I've read over and over how versatile 30.06 is.. but if i'm not hunting and only spending time at the range plinking away and paper... why not get some cheaper ammo.

I have a daughter on the way so budget is the most important.

In the long run i'd like a nice little shooter where i can hunt with the 30.06 and plink with the the .308 (hopefully doing the smithing myself)

IS it possible to get all this done... for under $1000?

Also would like a suppressor and new stock at some point.

I have more questions but i'm sure they will come up with replies.

Thanks!