Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

muttdog

6.5 Grendel

hello all, new here and have been doing a lot of reading and well... I am a huge Grendel fan , mostly because of the 6.5 cal. My question is has anyone had or heard of a blot gun in 6.5 Grendel and what are some opinions? I am starting my 1st savage build and need some help deciding on caliber. Thanks

Re: 6.5 Grendel

Welcome to the forums! I too have been wondering the same thing. A member in the know should respond shortly to answer your question.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I know I am just a retired old duffer here in the woods of PA. but what is a blot gun? Help enlighten me please, & do I have to buy another action now?

VA Bigbore

The 6.5 Grendel is a really neat cartridge. It was first offered by Alexander Arms on the AR-15 platform. The cartridge was designed to function with the gas operated platform and was hopeful to replace the .223 Rem as a higher powered cartridge for our troops; much like the 6.8 SPC. Ballistically it is very similar to the 6.8 out to 300 yds. There are 6.5 Grendel bolt guns in the market, but currently they are only offered by specialty builders as no mainstream companies have picked up the chambering yet. It is possible they will in the future because the market is doing very well for this cartridge. There are several specialty shops who make barrels for the Encore frame in 6.5 Grendel and still others who make barrels for the AR. I have seen some barrel makers who will chamber a barrel for the Savage rifles for 6.5 Grendel. The barrel would not be difficult to obtain for this build on a short action 110, 10, 11, etc..., but you would have to change the bolt head to accept the 7.62x39 case head that is on the Grendel. There is also another cartridge that is offered that is almost identical which is the .264 LBC. This case was introduced by Les Baer and came to be because of the patent that Alexander Arms held on the Grendel cartridge. It is identical to the original except for the shoulder area of the case. Both cartridges will fire in both chambers very much like the .223 Rem and the 5.56 Nato.

6.5 Grendel or .264 LBC cases can be made from 7.62x39 cases, 220 Russian (parent case) or the PPC cases. Of course Hornady, Lapua, and Alexander Arms sell properly stamped cases already available. Their is also ammo available from Wolf for the 6.5 Grendel as well. There has been a long standing promise from Wolf to manufacture steel cased ammo for the Grendel, although it is still waiting to see the light of day.

I have the 6.5 Grendel on a TC Encore pistol Frame. My barrel is a 10" bull barrel. I intend to someday get an upper chambered for this cartridge, but I am still waiting for their prices to become reasonable. The cartridge is accurate and light recoiling which would be very comfortable for children. Basically it is a necked down 7.62x39. Proponents of the cartridge tout its ability to kill deer sized game at distance, but I question this blustering. I agree that it is a good cartridge for deer up to and including 200 yds. There are those who have killed larger game and at longer distances, but I would not be in that belief. There are many other cartridges that are better suited for that. You can kill an deer with a .22lr, but I won't do that either. With that said, distances within its usable power range are very well suited for this cartridge. Of course if you intend to merely punch paper with your rifle, then throw out all the stops and use it for 1000 yd targets as many others do. I like this cartridge a lot but do question some of the claims made about it, just as I question the claims and the abilities of the .300 Blackout (whisper).

Gun Shack has a group buy from ER Shaw:

Savage Small Shank, Magnum Contour, 24” length, 6.5mm (.264") bore, 1-8” rate of twist, 416 Stainless Steel
    Available in the following chambers:

6.5 Grendel
    6.5x55 Swede
    6.5/06
    6.5/06 Ack.
    6.5 Creedmoor
    6.5 Rem. Mag.
    6.5/284
    .260 Rem.
    .260 Ack.
    .264 Win. Mag.

Good price on a stainless barrel.

I wish Savage would chamber the Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Grendel. It's a perfect fit for a lightweight carry rifle.
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

A slight expansion to VA Bigbore's excellent summary:

1) Bill Alexander says that the Grendel was designed as a deer cartridge for the AR platform.
    2) The cartridge does very well in this role.
    3) While the 6.8 and Grendel are similar in performance at short ranges, the 6.5 bullets tend to outperform the .277 bullets beyond 250-300 yards.
    4) SAAMI has approved specs for the Grendel and the Grendel trademark has been released.
    5) We should see an increased number of offerings towards the end of this year (takes time to do these things!).

What is a blot gun?

davemuzz

Not to "Pick a fight" with VA BigBore... ;D......but I'm gonna disagree on the Grendel not being a viable deer cartridge past 200 yards. If you look at the ballistics as posted on Hornady's web site http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Grendel-123-gr-A-MAX/ the 6.5 bullet is pushing out almost 1200-ft\lbs of energy at 300 yards and even at 400 yards you have just over 1000-ft\lbs of energy. The 400 yard shot would be pushing it on a big heavy whitetail.

I'm a die hard fan of the 6.5 Swede and the only thing I think the Grendel can't do is push a heavy 140gr. bullet well. However, the "rule of thumb" is that it takes 1000-ft\lbs of energy for a bullet to do a quality job of killing a whitetail. So, I would have no problems shooting the Grendel as long as I'm getting those kind of velocities.

Now, it may be that VA Bigbore is not getting that from the short barrel pistol. In that case, the Grendel may be limited to a shorter distances, and if you look at the Hornady data when it's shot from a 16" barrel, that shows it. On a large whitetail 300 yards may be a push.

I know that when I take my 7-30 Waters Encore Pistol out, I set up so my shots are no longer than 200 yards. That way there is no temptation to wound one.

But with a rifle, I think 300 yards would be a good rule of thumb with the Grendel. And here in Pa., heck....a 400 yard shot is almost unheard of. You will hit a hill before you get a shot that long!!!!

DAve

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith

What is a blot gun?
    A blot gun is exactly like a bolt gun....except the firing mechanism resets when you close the bolt instead of when you open the bolt. Gun manufacturers make 'em that way so the average guy gets confused and will send his rifle back to a factory or a "qualified" gunsmith for repairs. Yeah......would I not tell the truth? ;D

muttdog

thanks for the outpouring of information... I have a custom left hander 6.5 Grendel AR upper that I built in August of last year(20 inch AA barrel) and got the oppurtunity to take a couple of whitetail this season and with awesome results the 1st a doe at 80-90 yds (complete penetration to both shoulders with a devastating exit wound) 123 g a-max. 2nd a cull buck at 145yds 123 g a-max complete pass thru one shoulder and exit thru ribcage (also with a nasty hole). i have also printed sub 3 inch groups at 500 yds with this gun and love the cartridge. i think after reading all the info that I can soak up here that I will be pursuing the 6.5 Grendel Savage. Thanks again y'all, ill post pics of the progress as soon as the funding (wife says ok) is available!

lrpv-shooter

I love my pta with 20" heavy bull 1:8, I have got this gun figured out for up to 1000 yards.
    I would wish everyone could get one

muttdog

awesome lrpv-shooter, i am having a real hard time finding a 762x39 bolt head. also how do you like the 20 inch barrel? i an considering a 22-24 incher but i have some questions regarding barrel length, im sure that there is a "happy medium" length for the Grendel but i do not want to exceed the length of the barrel in leiu of burning up all of the powder before the bullet gets out of the barrel. any thoughts? im thinking 26 is too long. but the longer the pipe the more velocity right?

Basic Member

The 6.5 Grendel is an amazing round, my son recently built one for his AR-15 upper.
    No problem hitting a 10" steel plate at 600 yards with 123 grain Amax's over 8208 XBR...from a 20" barrel :)

If the 5.56 "fanboys" got their heads outta their azzes long enough to be objective, they'd realize there's absolutely nothing that round does that the Grendel doesn't do FAR better- and in fact, it beats the **** out of the .308 out of an AR-10 platform in most respects as well.

The problem has been AA's marketing, but now that it has SAAMI acceptance, look for a lot more in terms of bullet choices and factory ammunition.

But keep in mind it was designed to be the optimal round able to be loaded to mag length in the AR-15 platform.

While it excels at all levels in that application, and as much as I LOVE that cartridge, in a bolt gun my choices would be different. But, we're long range shooters, so the bias is in that direction.

MrMajestic

Got a 10 CFM in 7.62X39 with a 22" sporter weight Pac Nor, 8tw, Grendel chambered tube screwed on. Shoots 3/4 MOA average and wouldn't hesitate shooting whitetail to 500 yards with it. 123 grain A-Max chrono's 2575 fps and that gives it plenty of retained energy at that range. Remember, "Shot placement is King, adequate penetration is Queen and the rest is just dancing on the head of a pin"!

muttdog

Mr Majestic, that is awesome! i would not hesitate either, i agree 110% on the shot placement. Since i am getting to be more and more of an accuracy buff at medium ranges i like being able to shoot the grendel without getting my "eyes crossed" by larger calibers constantly. The main reason i want to build a Grendel besides the fact that it would be the only one around the area that i live in, will be for my son in a couple of years to have for his first deer rifle. So my main motivator is a 5 yr old that loves to hunt and be in the outdoors. Then after "his" is complete i may prusue a 300WM with a brake (to tame recoil), but little man comes first.

@tobnpr, thanks i also agree 110% on the preformance of the 6.5G, those 5.56 guys dont know what good really is. if i mayy ask what calibers do you prefer at "long distance".? I am interested in building a long range gun in the future so any suggestions would be welcome.

good luck and good chootin y'all!!!

Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by muttdog
    i am having a real hard time finding a 762x39 bolt head.
    I have ordered a several 7.62x39 bolt heads from Savage and will have them up for sale at www.gunshack.com as soon as they come in. I was told they take the same standard extractor/ejector parts.

Regards,

Lance

Werewolf

I think someone said that a head cut for a ppc cartridge would work too. I may be wrong.

MrMajestic

Yes, that is correct. Fred(SSS) has them on his site.

VA Bigbore

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz
    Not to "Pick a fight" with VA BigBore... ;D......but I'm gonna disagree on the Grendel not being a viable deer cartridge past 200 yards. If you look at the ballistics as posted on Hornady's web site http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Grendel-123-gr-A-MAX/ the 6.5 bullet is pushing out almost 1200-ft\lbs of energy at 300 yards and even at 400 yards you have just over 1000-ft\lbs of energy. The 400 yard shot would be pushing it on a big heavy whitetail.

I'm a die hard fan of the 6.5 Swede and the only thing I think the Grendel can't do is push a heavy 140gr. bullet well. However, the "rule of thumb" is that it takes 1000-ft\lbs of energy for a bullet to do a quality job of killing a whitetail. So, I would have no problems shooting the Grendel as long as I'm getting those kind of velocities.

Now, it may be that VA Bigbore is not getting that from the short barrel pistol. In that case, the Grendel may be limited to a shorter distances, and if you look at the Hornady data when it's shot from a 16" barrel, that shows it. On a large whitetail 300 yards may be a push.

I know that when I take my 7-30 Waters Encore Pistol out, I set up so my shots are no longer than 200 yards. That way there is no temptation to wound one.

But with a rifle, I think 300 yards would be a good rule of thumb with the Grendel. And here in Pa., heck....a 400 yard shot is almost unheard of. You will hit a hill before you get a shot that long!!!!

DAve
    Well, not to pick back, but a 30/30 has more energy than the 6.5 Grendel. Nobody considers it more than a 200 yd gun. I am a fan of the Grendel, but seriously, people need to accept the cartridge's limitations. Look, its a 7.62x39 Russian. Its the same cartridge shot in the SKS and/or AK-47. The only difference is that it is 6.5mm instead of 7.62mm. Seriously; Would you consider the 7.62x39 to be an excellent deer cartridge out to 300 yds? How many people talk about how great the 30/30 Winchester is at 300 yds? The 6.5 Grendel is a neat and well intended cartridge. It will kill critters at extended ranges, but so will a .22 mag. All I am sayin is that it is credited with more than it has to offer and hyped up much more than it is, IMHO. Paper punching at 1000yd is totally acceptable, but depending on it to cleanly and efficiently taking deer every single time at 300+ yds........NO. There are much better suited cartridges for this purpose and as hunters we owe it to the game we take to not make them suffer.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by VA Bigbore

Well, not to pick back, but a 30/30 has more energy than the 6.5 Grendel. Nobody considers it more than a 200 yd gun. I am a fan of the Grendel, but seriously, people need to accept the cartridge's limitations. Look, its a 7.62x39 Russian. Its the same cartridge shot in the SKS and/or AK-47. The only difference is that it is 6.5mm instead of 7.62mm. Seriously; Would you consider the 7.62x39 to be an excellent deer cartridge out to 300 yds? How many people talk about how great the 30/30 Winchester is at 300 yds? The 6.5 Grendel is a neat and well intended cartridge. It will kill critters at extended ranges, but so will a .22 mag. All I am sayin is that it is credited with more than it has to offer and hyped up much more than it is, IMHO. Paper punching at 1000yd is totally acceptable, but depending on it to cleanly and efficiently taking deer every single time at 300+ yds........NO. There are much better suited cartridges for this purpose and as hunters we owe it to the game we take to not make them suffer.
    As bad as Dave needs to change his shirt I got to agree with him on this. My bolt grendel is pushing a 123 amax at 2610fps. Now if i back it down to 2510 and you run the numbers against the 30-30 with the standard 170 grain soft point you get 2200fps with 1827 flbs and you drop to 1023 ft lbs at 200 yards while the grendel does start a little lower in energy it maintains it a lot better. Grendel using a 123 amax starting at 2510 fps has 1720 ft lbs of energy but it goes out to 380 yards before dropping to 1013 ft lbs of energy. just another prime example of bigger is not always better. Your 7.62x39 using a 123 softpoint runs out of energy at 150 yards with a whopping 1001 ft lbs of energy. There really is no comparison.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by VA Bigbore
    ...a 30/30 has more energy than the 6.5 Grendel. Nobody considers it more than a 200 yd gun. I am a fan of the Grendel, but seriously, people need to accept the cartridge's limitations. Look, its a 7.62x39 Russian. Its the same cartridge shot in the SKS and/or AK-47. The only difference is that it is 6.5mm instead of 7.62mm. Seriously; Would you consider the 7.62x39 to be an excellent deer cartridge out to 300 yds? How many people talk about how great the 30/30 Winchester is at 300 yds?...
    The 30-30 is an excellent deer cartridge, and yes, not many seriously look at them as 300 yard cartridges. The problem is the Model 94 Winchester started out with iron sights and was never known for superb accuracy. The Grendel starts out within 5% of the energy of the 170 grain 30-30 Core-Lock at the muzzle and quickly overtakes it with increasing range.

How about the .257 Roberts? The Grendel trajectory with the 129 grain bullet is about 1-1/2" flatter 300 yards when the Roberts is using the 117 gr Core-Lokt.

The drop at 300 yds is within about 3 inches of the drop for the 100 gr Core-Lokt .243 Winchester round. Sighted in at 200 yards, put your crosshair at the deer's spine, and both will drop into the vital zone.

For more, see:
    http://shootersnotes.com/grendelmani...or-large-game/

That discussion addressed rifles with 24" barrels to allow a consistent comparison. Yes, the velocity will be lower and the drop greater if one hacks 10" off the barrel but that is true of all firearms.

davemuzz

Oh heck man.....if you want to shoot 'em at longer than 200 yards, then just do what I did....and get a Shilen barrel in 6.5 Swede and bolt in onto either a short action (yes...this will work even with berger VLD's) or a long action....load some 140gr. bullets....shut up....and go shoot anything at 500 yards with all the confidence in the world. ;D

thomae

Before we get our respective panties in a knot, remember that when discussing 30-30, 7.62x39 and 6.5Grendel, we are discussing three different types of bullets.

It's like discussing Apples, Oranges, and Nectarines.

Both 30-30 and 7.62x39 are 30 caliber bullets (the x39 either .308 or .311 depending on your rifle and loads), but the 30-30 is a round nose bullet and the x39 is pointed, possibly boat tailed. Thus we have for each bullet a different ballistic coefficient (BC), which translates to a difference in how fast the friction of the air slows down the bullet.

The 6.5 bullet, if it is the same weight/mass as a 30 caliber bullet, is a smaller diameter, thus thinner and longer.
    This translates into a higher BC, i.e., less slowing due to air friction. Thus the 6.5 bullet retains its speed for a longer time and distance.

Kinetic energy = 1/2MV2 (1/2 times the Mass of the bullet times the Square of the Velocity of the bullet)

Therefore the retained Kinetic energy of the 6.5 bullet is proportional to the SQUARE of the velocity, so since it retains more velocity downrange, it retains much more energy downrange (For example, if it is moving twice as fast, it has 4 times the energy).

I will not argue about your specific numbers, nor will I argue about your particular experiences (especially since you guys are all better shooters than I am!), but I also will not argue with physics. ...after all, it's the law. ::)

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by thomae
    [color=purple]Before we get our respective panties in a knot, remember that when discussing 30-30, 7.62x39 and 6.5Grendel, we are discussing three different types of bullets.

It's like discussing Apples, Oranges, and Nectarines.

Both 30-30 and 7.62x39 are 30 caliber bullets (the x39 either .308 or .311 depending on your rifle and loads), but the 30-30 is a round nose bullet and the x39 is pointed, possibly boat tailed. Thus we have for each bullet a different ballistic coefficient (BC), which translates to a difference in how fast the friction of the air slows down the bullet.
    The 30-30 isn't always round nosed! I have 5 30-30's that I load for and none of them use round nosed bullets. A 168 grain tipped boat tail turns them into a solid 300 yard deer gun.

The thing to remember with all the cartridges that are made to try to shoehorn more "oomph" into the AR is that they may be a great cartridge within the limits of the AR platform. Why accept those limitations when you are working with a more versitle system like a Savage? 6.8 SPC (special purpose cartridge - the "special purpose" was to work in an AR!), 6.5 Grendel, etc. are all severly limited by trying to fit and function in an AR.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    The thing to remember with all the cartridges that are made to try to shoehorn more "oomph" into the AR is that they may be a great cartridge within the limits of the AR platform. Why accept those limitations when you are working with a more versitle system like a Savage?
    The simply answer is "Because we can" otherwise everyone would only have a 22lr, a shotgun, a 30-06, and a 375 H&H. Almost forgot the Red Ryder bb gun.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Eric in NC

Of course that is always a valid answer!

But a 6.5mm BR would be even more of a good thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast