Thread: Osprey scope mount

Basic Member

Osprey scope mount

I bought an Osprey 10-40x50 tactical and it needs to go further back for eye relief. Any suggestions?

Re: Osprey scope mount

I just put one on my 260AI and had plenty of room. I used an EGW base and Weaver tactical rings.

Basic Member

Ya. I tried the mounts that were already on my 12fvss and Osprey mounts. Aftermarket gotta be better. Thanks

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

You folks that are using Osprey scopes...

How do y'all like them? Reasonably decent glass?
    Do they work OK on the highest power setting without a "frosty" image?

I look at them everytime I open a Natchez or Midway catalog. Although I'd like to have a $3000 glass on my rifle(s), I can do just fine with the lesser cost / quality brands.
    As long as it survives the recoil of my 30.06, I'm a happy shooter. I kissed Simmons goodbye quite a while ago as I couldn't keep a scope longer than 4 range sessions. I even had one of those Simmons AETEC Master Series scopes, which I really liked... Alot. Nice clear glass, adjusted nicely, everything about it was great until one fine autumn day..... After firing a 180gr Nosler thru my '06, I look to line up a second shot & can't seem to find the horizontal line in the scope . That was the end of my days as a Simmons customer. When I brought it back to the gun shop, I upgraded to a Leupold

Tell me a little about those Osprey's, If you don't mind.

Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    You folks that are using Osprey scopes...

How do y'all like them? Reasonably decent glass?
    Do they work OK on the highest power setting without a "frosty" image?

I look at them everytime I open a Natchez or Midway catalog. Although I'd like to have a $3000 glass on my rifle(s), I can do just fine with the lesser cost / quality brands.
    As long as it survives the recoil of my 30.06, I'm a happy shooter. I kissed Simmons goodbye quite a while ago as I couldn't keep a scope longer than 4 range sessions. I even had one of those Simmons AETEC Master Series scopes, which I really liked... Alot. Nice clear glass, adjusted nicely, everything about it was great until one fine autumn day..... After firing a 180gr Nosler thru my '06, I look to line up a second shot & can't seem to find the horizontal line in the scope . That was the end of my days as a Simmons customer. When I brought it back to the gun shop, I upgraded to a Leupold

Tell me a little about those Osprey's, If you don't mind.

Frank in Fla.
    I too would like to know about them.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

As soon as I get mine mounted and start shooting, il let ya know.

I have the same one the OP has mounted on my 6BR (there's a pic and description of the rifle in the "Post a Pic of your Rig" thread) I am using the supplied Osprey rings with it for the moment and have had no troubles. For the money the glass is clear and POA has yet to shift on me. Clicks seem positive and consistent. The side focus is a nice feature on any AO equipped scope, however this one is a bit touchy and gets touchier at higher levels of magnification, but once you have it set it does not change or move due to recoil. The mounts are solid and have held great, they have not loosened at all but they are too tall for a standard stock. The Hart LRT stock seems to keep my cheek weld higher than my other stocks so the higher mounts are working in my application. I can't really speak for how well it handles recoil since I have only used this one on the 6BR. I will probably buy another in the future, and the Lifetime Replacement Warranty is nice too. Reviews I have read elsewhere say they are good to deal with concerning warranty issues.

I am curious to see how yours handles the 30-06. Let us know.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

CJ in WY

This is the view through my Osprey 10-40. No it aint that blurry I was just gettin a pic of the offset reticle=The gun and turrents are level!!

The good news is it aint got any worse and it holds zero. The bad news is I cant use the reticle or the knobs for elivation adjustment=It does not track and is about worthless @ 40x in the mid-day sun.
    Its on an old 12 twist 223 that is used for prairie dogs to 300 yards. With its prefered load of 2200 powder and 55spsx it will put them in one hole@ 100 yards if good brass is used.
    Long way around the barn but I'll use this one till it pukes but am not looking for another one.

I am using one on my 260AI that I just got together. It was on a 308 FCP-K for about 100 rounds and then replaced with a Leupold. I was short a scope and so I used this one. It is not a Sightron III but it is pretty clear but does not have as much light gathering as others. So far I have not had any trouble with it other than the lack of the light gathering, and I can see details better at 32 power in my Sightron than at 40 power in the Osprey. You have to realize the difference in cost also.

Live Oak

I put an Osprey Scope on my daughter's Savage VLP .223. I mounted the scope using a DNZ mount. The scope is not bad for the money. As already mentioned, it does not do well with magnifcation turned way up but otherwise does VERY well as holding zero and making elevation and windage adjustments. I can regularly hit a round 10 inch half inch think target plate out back up the hill at 400 yards with it. If you are going to shoot more than 400, I would recommend the DNZ Tactical 20 MOA mount. For a decent scope that won't cost you twice the value of the rifle, I highly recommend the Osprey. The DNZ mounts are fantastic mounts as well and are among my favorite along with the Picatinny Rail mounts.

Good information, thanks guys.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Yeah... What he said /\
    l

Except, I get the impression it's much like any other econo-priced scope. Roll the dice, take a chance & hope you get a good one.

Thanks guys
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member

i used the 10-40x50 milldot all last year at williamsport 1000 yard and never had a problem, turned it up and down 300 times, put it on different rifles allways returned to zero. i have the range finding and the milldot both work perfect MARK25-06