Thread: Tell me how you like your 220 slug gun

Tell me how you like your 220 slug gun

I read a few reviews and they sound good. But I would like to hear from you guys that have been using them for years. Tell me about the accuracy, and all the plus's and minus's, likes and dislikes, and how you feel about the performance with the 20 gage.

Re: Tell me how you like your 220 slug gun

No one has anything ???

The main reason I am asking is because a buddy of mine is considering one or possibly a browning. He said he read that occasionally the savage has misfires if the bolt handle is slightly open. I am not sure of the definition of slightly open, but that sounds like the users fault to me. With the heavy bolt lift that most savages have , I would think this would be a very rare thing.

scotts94_z28

I have one and love it. I did not have alot of time before the season this year to experiment but had no problem gettin 1.5" groups with 2 3/4" accutip's. I have mine set up with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 in EGW low rings on an EGW base. I am very happy with the way the gun shoots and killed 3 deer with it this past season.

I have had none of the missfire or extraction problems that some others have had. My only dislike was the plastic stock so I ordered a McMillan which will be here this week. I am starting to gather slugs now and hope to do some real accuracy testing this spring and summer to find what the gun shoots best.

scotts94,
    are their other stock options besides the Mcmillan ?

scotts94_z28

Not that I am aware of at this time. Don't get me wrong for the price of the gun I could live with the factory stock no problem. Once I saw how accurate the gun could be in my small amount of testing I decided it deserved something a little better. I am also considering having the gun cerakoted since the finish is rough and seems like it may rust easily.

If you look around you will find several threads on here regarding the 220F Everyone that has one that I have chatted with loves them. I have one and I love it. It handles like a rifle, shoots like a rifle, kills like a rifle. It's light, carries well and functions like it should. 2-3/4" Remington Aero-Tips shoot best in mine, 3" is a close second. Mine is the camo stock and I find it to be more than satisfactory. I have a Loopy 3-9 VariX2 on an EGW base.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Thank you for the replies !

Basic Member

I had thought of buying a Savage Bolt slug gun but I got a used Mossberg bolt slug gun for $100.00. It's one hell of a great shooter. I am limited to hunting in Delaware with a shotgun. Most of the time I use my ML'er. Getting back to the Mossberg it's not as smooth or build as good or look as good as the Savage but even at the new price its worth it. Both have fully rifled barrels the MB has a brake. The MB has a cantiliver scope base. If i didn't have a slug gun I would opt for a Savage over the MB and it would be a 20 gauge, asier on the shoulder and trajectory is better and will do just as good on a deer. One thing in favor of the Savage you don't see them for sale that alone speaks for itself. My 2 cents Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust