Thread: Best distance to do load development for LR rifle ?

hound53

Best distance to do load development for LR rifle ?

will be breaking in a new barrel and developing a load for a 12FT/R being re barreled in Remington 260 in the next week or two. Just curious as to what you guys feel is the best range for LR load development. I have a choice of 100,200, 300, 600 and 800 yards. The gun will be primarily shot at 600 and 800.

My thoughts are:

100 - fewest external variables such as wind and shooter variables, but a lot of things can happen to a bullet between 100 and 800
    200 - what I am leaning towards, wind is pretty predictable on those targets
    300 - a good compromise
    600 and 800 - too many externals to know whether it was the load, the shooting technique, or the wind

pretty much decided on either 200 or 300. Range is pretty calm in early mornings but I have to fight sun in the scope because the range faces NE , afternoons tend to be windy. 200 has pretty predictable wind, 300 berm and target is fairly protected but if wind is from south (right to left) you get a swirl effect in the last 100 yards.

Trent

Re: Best distance to do load development for LR rifle ?

I like to use the OCW method at 100 yards and then verify and fine tune the load out at the distances I plan on using it at.

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by Trent
    I like to use the OCW method at 100 yards and then verify and fine tune the load out at the distances I plan on using it at.
    I have heard a lot about the OCW but never used it. read a bit on it but still don't quite grasp the idea. Always used a ladder but a lot of people seem to be turning to the OCW

Basic Member

Sorry, what does OCW stand for?

Basic Member

hound53

read up on OCW. Just seems to be a variation on the ladder method but instead of loading for the single best group you load for the charge that will give you a bit of leeway in case your charge is off a couple of grains, or have a temperature fluctuation or will shoot in almost any rifle. In other words, the most forgiving charge. Not sure how relevant it would be for someone who is as anal as I am about their reloads.I did load up some 140's with some IMR 3150 using his method. Still leaning towards shooting them at 200 vs 100 though.

Basic Member

For me, its the purpose of the rifle. If target shooting is the main purpose, I want to do load development at 200 meters. Most variables won't have a significant effect, wind for example on bullets, and can truly test a load IMO.

For hunting rifles where my shots will always be inside 100 meters, than load development at 100m is fine.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    For me, its the purpose of the rifle. If target shooting is the main purpose, I want to do load development at 200 meters. Most variables won't have a significant effect, wind for example on bullets, and can truly test a load IMO.

For hunting rifles where my shots will always be inside 100 meters, than load development at 100m is fine.
    I am tending to agree psharon.

82boy

If you have the ability to test at the ranges your planing on shooting at, the do your load developement and testing st that range. Most off us onlt have at best 200 yard to do load developement, consider your self blessed. If you have the range I would at mimmum test at 300 yards. (That is what Sam Hall does.) For most people I say do load developement at the longest range you have availble. All in all if you plan on shooting at 600 then test at 600.

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    If you have the ability to test at the ranges your planing on shooting at, the do your load developement and testing st that range. Most off us onlt have at best 200 yard to do load developement, consider your self blessed. If you have the range I would at mimmum test at 300 yards. (That is what Sam Hall does.) For most people I say do load developement at the longest range you have availble. All in all if you plan on shooting at 600 then test at 600.
    Well I am a bit leery of testing at 800 because if the nut behind the trigger issue. The least little thing could throw one or more shots off at that distance and I would never know whether it was the load or my technique that caused it. I have pretty much settled on 200 is where I will do my initial ladders, then tune the results at 600 before heading to 800. As you said I am lucky to have access to that range, it wasn't that long ago where I considered 200 yards a luxury.

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by hound53
    Well I am a bit leery of testing at 800 because if the nut behind the trigger issue. The least little thing could throw one or more shots off at that distance and I would never know whether it was the load or my technique that caused it. I have pretty much settled on 200 is where I will do my initial ladders, then tune the results at 600 before heading to 800. As you said I am lucky to have access to that range, it wasn't that long ago where I considered 200 yards a luxury.
    Exactly. Even at 200 yards most people can impart different effects on the gun enough to cause a flyer and not realize it. If a person is going to load test at long distances then you better be a dang good bench rest shooter.

Trent

I have heard a lot about the OCW but never used it. read a bit on it but still don't quite grasp the idea. Always used a ladder but a lot of people seem to be turning to the OCW
    Hound53, the OCW (Optimal Charge Weight) can seem confusing until you actually write down your loads and start working up your cases. I was confused the first couple of times I read through the procedure. Do it once and it will all make sense.

hound53

Hound53, the OCW (Optimal Charge Weight) can seem confusing until you actually write down your loads and start working up your cases. I was confused the first couple of times I read through the procedure. Do it once and it will all make sense.
    yep that is what I did, it was pretty simple once I did that. I have always just found the min and max loads then started at the min and worked my way up in .2 or .3 increments and picked the smallest groupings then went .1 above and below them. Newberry accounts for temperature changes, slight variations in powder lots, or operator error on the part of the reloader. That is how I interpret it at least.

showgun

When I work loads I run my ladder in groups of 5 rounds for each powder weight. When I initially begin I set my range up with 100 yard and 200 yard targets. Come shooting time I place 3 rounds on paper at 100 and 2 rounds on paper at 200 working through my ladder. Each target will have rounds from that specific load... Some might say 2 rounds isn't enough to judge accuracy etc however it gives me a good feel for bullet drop, drift and accuracy. At 200 yards I definatly know when I pull one vs the load not being in par with the rifle. The results might amaze you when you work loads a bit farther than 100. I was working loads in a factory Tikka T3 .308 and the 175's were more accurate at 200 then they were at 100. If I hadn't shot them at 200 I might have overlooked that load...

Sundo

Sounds like you answered your own question. 200-300 yds sounds reasonable. I'd favor 200 yds on a windy day and 300 yds on a less windy day. If the wind is in a horizontal direction, just measure vertical spread for accuracy.

At 100 yds, not all bullets fully stabilize. These bullets may not show their true accuracy until you get beyond 100 yds.

I don't think 600 yds is worth the effort. I would do most load development at 200-300 then confirm/refine at 600+.