Thread: 308 Lapua Brass

Basic Member

308 Lapua Brass

Just got my midway order today. Very impressed with lapua brass. Now I just hope the 1k Hornady match 178 grain bullets work that I ordered too. The wife told me to make one order, so I decided on the Hornady bullets. Varget, Lapua, and Hornady should make a good combo. Hopefully I wont have to anneal if I keep the loads moderate.

Basic Member

Re: 308 Lapua Brass

Mine likes 42.8 gr Varget with those bullets seated to touch the lands. This is good for 2640 in my 23" barrel and is a mild load which I should be able to get 15 firings from the lapua brass. Don't go above 44 grains if you want good brass life, and you don't need to considering the bc of those bullets.

Basic Member

Thanks for the info. Mine has a 26" barrel. Thinking of buying an annealing machine down the road.

Bamboolongbow

Those 178 Hornady Match bullets are fanatstic. I also load with 43.8 grs of Varget Federal Gold Medal match brass. My question is OAL, measured from the ogive currently I am at 2.265. My rifle is a 110 Tactical.

stangfish

Where are you getting that dimmension Bamboo?

Andy, I made these for the cordless drill, use propane to get it hot and a pan with water to chill 'em off..

When annealing with the method you're using, how do you know when you've got the brass "hot enough"?

Or, maybe explain your method?

Basic Member

You can buy Tempilac. A special paint that changes color at a certain temp.

stangfish

Carlos, Good question.

I use a Raytech infared digital thermometer I found in a pawnshop for $35.

You can use Tempilstiks at 600* and 650*. They are a hard marker that when at or above rated temperature they will mark the heated surface...too hot and it burns after it marks. This is done in low light. One thing you need to be careful of is heat soak. You do not want the heat to get to the bottom of the case. Heat it up and quench quickly. The worked hardness of the primer pocket is neccesary and softening that area can and will cause issues that could be catistrophic at the worst or cause loose primer pockets or the soft extraction lip would/could fail during extraction.

Tempilaq is another product made from the same company it is painted on prior to heating via a fingernail polish type brush. Our vendor stocks the sticks so I use that. These products are used in welding shops and where the temperature of metals needs to be quickly checked. I use them when heating bearings to shrink them on shafts where there is an interference fit. 200* +/-.

Stang, you're able to get the infrared gun to read directly on the heated brass? Mine won't do that. Is there a trick to this? Or is it just that some guns will/others won't read it? I figured it was because the surface is too narrow and rounded??

Your picture of the thermometer didn't make it through. Is it the "gun" style, with the laser pointer?

stangfish

Proximity is important. Most of their guns readily available guns only read up to 525 or less. The one I have reads up to 1400 degrees.

Bamboolongbow

Strangfish

I am measuring from the ogive to the base of the case with a Hornady comparator attached to a pair of calipers.

I almost purchased 100 count of Lapua 308 brass after my day at the range.