Thread: 20 practical question that may get me flamed

chesty for president

20 practical question that may get me flamed

Here goes: I put a lubed 223 case in my 204 Hornady full length sizer die on a rockchucker press ran it up and it resized the neck a little more than half way and it looked very good for the small portion it resized. The Hornady die is bottle necked at the bottom which I am assuming is so it can also be used on a progressive press. My question is this.....there is about 1/4 inch of the bottom of the die that has no threads, if I were to sand that 1/4 of an inch off very evenly would it allow the 223 case to go far enough into the die to resize it enough to be used. I know trying to get out cheap isnt always the answer but every penny counts right now. Thank you in advance for any advice or insight on the subject matter.

Semper Fi

chesty for president

Re: 20 practical question that may get me flamed

Answered my own question. My friend had a Hornady 204 neck sizing die he let me borrow. I took the guts out of it and ran a 223 case in it and whammy a perfect 20 practical was born. I tried several different brands of brass with the same results...perfection. There was no donut or any inperfections to speak of. I will post the ID and OD numbers with all brands of brass accordingly tomorrow. I will try to check runout on these and runout using my Redding bushing die setup for a comparison but anyone needing a 20 practical die as a backup or in a bind the Hornady 204 neck sizing die works perfectly, now if Jim will get that barrel shipped out I can get to shooting this darn thing.....Hope to get the call soon. If anyone has any questions, comments or advice please send it....thanks for looking...Semper Fidelis

stevec

204 ruger has a 30deg shoulder and a 20 practical has a 23deg shoulder. If you shove the shoulder back to 30deg you will have to much head space.

If you have only neck sized you should be ok.

Steve

chesty for president

yes Sir only sizing the neck nothing else, Ill compare it do the Redding dies I have on the way and ill use them cuz i paid what to me is a lot of money for them but itll be fun to compare the two side by side.

stevec

Sounds good. I shoot a 20 Tactical and I used 204 dies cut off 100thou. very nice little roun, I think you will enjoy!

Steve