Thread: Need Advice: What Burris Signature Rings/Bases for a Savage 116 FHHS 7mm Mag

_Aaron_

Need Advice: What Burris Signature Rings/Bases for a Savage 116 FHHS 7mm Mag

Hello everyone. New to the board, I was hoping to get some advice on mounting a Leupold VX-R 3-9X40mm to a Savage 116 FHHS 7mm Magnum using Burris Signature Rings and bases.

I have been looking around for a good scope mount for my new hunting rifle setup. I think I have settled on the Burris Signature bases for their secure hold and flexible scope alignment adjustments. My challenge has been to find which set of rings and bases will work with my rifle. Due to the long actions of the 116 I have been told that reversible mounts will be required. I was thinking I would like to use the Dual Dovetail bases for extra strength as I will have less need of the windage adjustments with the signature rings.

Looking at the chart here on the Burris website (http://www.burrisoptics.com/mountchart1.html) for the Savage 116 it suggests the TU110 Reversible bases, but does not show the Dual Dovetail bases (DD-110 Reversible). I found another chart that suggested that the DD-110 Reversible bases would work with a long action Savage. In both cases the chart suggests that I use a Low ring. However, I was unable to find a Signature ring in the Low height. The closest I found was a Medium.

So my questions are. Is anyone using a Burris signature ring setup on their long action Savage rifle with success? If so what components are you using? Next, would a Medium signature base be comfortable in this setup? I am 6'2" if that helps for a point of size reference. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

hornet13

Re: Need Advice: What Burris Signature Rings/Bases for a Savage 116 FHHS 7mm Mag

If you are set on Burris you might have to use a med. ring. Something to consider is that the closer the centerline of your optic is to the centerline of your bore the better. Brownells has a very nice ring and base height chart for all products in their catalog i dont know if its on the web site. It may be helpful.

helotaxi

Re: Need Advice: What Burris Signature Rings/Bases for a Savage 116 FHHS 7mm Mag

I've used the Burris standard style reversible 2-piece bases with a set of Med Signature rings on a model 111 with great results. It has the windage adjustment and unlike every other type of ring out there, the Sig. rings actually allow you to take full advantage of the windage adjustment with no chance of bending or binding the scope tube. The windage adjustment in the base gives you much finer adjustments than the offset bushings allow for as well. They'll be plenty strong for the 7mag recoil.

Basic Member

The DD bases are reversible, but the scope mounting location does not change much if at all. In addition, one end of the base is rounded, whereas the other end is squared off. I placed the rounded out outwards.

The Signature rings simply do not come in a low height. I called Burris about this a couple years ago and they said they do not make them because there would not be enough metal in the system due to the shape of the opening for the plastic inserts.

For my BVSS 7 Mag with a 4.5-14x42 scope I used a EGW rail with Burris Signature Zee rings. I had to cut off about 0.375" of the rail so it would clear the occular bell when I had the scope and rings where I wanted them. After filing the end of the rail smooth, I applied Birchwood Casey blackening to the cut end of the rail.

On my other long action rifles I just use longer scopes with two piece bases and Signature Zee rings.

Do you have a round rear or a flat rear?

The Dual Dovetail for a flat rear is nearly impossible to find.

Burris doesn't make lows in any of the signature rings.

The easiest way to go is with the Burris Xtreme bases and Signature Zee rings.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

+1

Basic Member

Those are round rear. Easy to find for about the same price.

Flat rear are the impossibles. About the same odds as finding a LH LA 223 bolt head. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

_Aaron_

Thanks for the tips everyone. A quick update. I called Burris and they said they no longer make the dual dovetail bases. He did say however that the Burris rings would compatible with Leupold Dual Dovetail bases. I'm not really set on a particular style, I just want to get the best setup for my rifle. It is a new model Savage with the round rear.

So at this point it looks like my choice is either Leupold Double Dovetail Bases with Burris Signature rings or Burris Signature Zee rings with either Burris, Warne, to Leupold Weaver style bases. Anyone have a preference between those two setups? I was interested in the Dual Dovetail design before because I was thinking they were stronger with less screws too loosen. Seems strange Burris would be cancelling them if that was the case.