Thread: Konus mil/mil, Mueller or Bushnell Elite 6500

ssteel

Konus mil/mil, Mueller or Bushnell Elite 6500

Hello everyone. I am having a bit of a dilemma with optics for my Savage 112 BVSS in 6.5x284.
    I would like to install a nicer scope on the rifle than the ones I have already. I really have my heart set on a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50. I target shoot with it mostly, but I do take the rifle to the deer stand and have taken some deer and hogs with it.

I had a Konus M30 6.5-25x50 scope on it and it served well until I had a bit of trouble with the side focus knob. I sent it in under warranty and Konus sent me a new scope(kudos to Konus). This one they sent me is their upgraded version with a Mil/Mil retical. It has a mildot retical and 1/10 mil click adjustments. I have not seen any of these for sale yet.
    The scope has really good glass in it and some really nice features; locking turrets, side focus, internal bubble level and the Mil/Mil retical. But I am unsure if I can trust it for the long haul.

I also have a new Mueller 8-32x50 target model w/side focus and a used Mueller 4-16x50 tactical model
    I have not mounted either one yet. What I am wondering is should I mount the Konus up and run with it, or sell the scopes to fund the Bushnell. I don't have 100% faith in the Konus or the Mueller to be absolutely trouble free(tracking, returning to and holding zero).
    Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested in buying the Konus or Mueller, let me know.
    Thanks.

Aircraftmech76

Re: Konus mil/mil, Mueller or Bushnell Elite 6500

To be completely honest, I've come to value my Vortex PST riflescope. It does everything the big name optics do, but at a significantly lower price. My PST is the 4-16x50 FFP EBR MRAD model with Mil/Mil adjustments. Another nice thing about it is that there are "off" clicks between the different intensity settings on the reticle brightness dial. All in all, it's great glass for the money, and it won't be my last.

Kevin

ssteel

Thanks for your advice on the Viper. A local shop carries them and the 4-16 looked real nice. Only thing is they had a recent price increase and went up 150 dollars more than they were.

What I am trying to decide is should I sell the Konus 6.5-25x44 and Mueller 8-32x50 to fund getting a higher end scope. If I decide to sell them I don't want to mount them on a rifle, I'd like to sell them as new.
    I am going to call Konus and get some more info about the upgraded M30 1/10 mil adjustment system. I just want a dependable scope on this rifle that tracks well and holds zero.
    Thanks.

deerhunter85

Sell them sometime you get what you pay for

stangfish

Customer service is important. All have good service. I hear that Vortex is the best but not one of the options you mentioned.
    It has been my experience

Bushnell scopes are/were a good value until recently. Quality built. Good design, good customer service. I have had some minor issues with adjustable parralax not being set correctly when the reticle is fucused with the eypiece on both the 6500 and the 4200 tacticle(30mm tubes), Both of these saw heavy use. I love the resetable turrets on the 6500. I have another 4200 ( 1" tube )with PA and MD retticle that has been fantastic. Both of my 3-9x40's in the 4200 and the 3200 are perfect multi purpose hunting scopes.

Konus scopes have very good glass and very good customer service. Poor knob lock design(admited even by there importer), small or poor exit pupil on high power (Very tiring to look through on high power). I actualy like the on I have in M30 4.5-16x40. I think they are made by the same company as Hawke.

Dont be afraid of the 4200 tactical or the other PA 4200 models. Also if I was in the market for a higher end scope I would consider a Mil Dot Mil/Mil with FFP reticle

That is all I can add.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Take a look at the Sightron S3 6-24x or 8-32x

A better precision shooting optic than the Viper PST or the Elite 6500's from my experience.
    If Bushnell offered a decent reticle in their 6500's then I might try one again but the only reticle they have that is useful for precision long range shooting is the G2 in their DMR 3.5-21x.
    Their DOA and MilDot reticles stink.

Basic Member

Please let me know if you decide to part with the konus or mueller.
    I am.getting a 112 bt with base and rings for 30mm and 50-56mm objective.
    Thanks,
    David

Basic Member

If you have the opportunity, look through several 'high end' scopes and see the one that is clearest to you. See if you can view the scope at a range instead of just in the store room floor. This will not test a scope IMO.

Most of the higher end scopes will have a no nonsense warranty. Meaning, if there is a problem, a brand new scope will be sent to you no questions asked.

Scopes come on sale often, look for a deal on them.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Shaner72

I bought a bushnell 6500 elite 2.5-16X42 for my model 12 22-250 and I like it. It's nice and clear an nothing bad to say about it. I also shoot targets and varmints.

skypilot

Do whatever you need to do to be looking thru the scope you have confidence in and are comfortable with(knobs, reticle, engineering units of measure, etc.). You will become a much better marksman with the optics you know and like.

Cheers