Thread: Boyd's tacticool stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Boyd's tacticool stock

I just received an email from midway that they have the unfinished mark 2 stocks, in stock.
    I have been having a hard time locating one in stock. If anyone is looking for one it shows them as in stock after I purchased mine.

thomae

Re: Boyd's tacticool stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rlbol
    I just received an email from midway that they have the unfinished mark 2 stocks, in stock.
    I have been having a hard time locating one in stock. If anyone is looking for one it shows them as in stock after I purchased mine.
    Here's a picture and the link. Disclaimer: I don't work for nor do I have any financial interest in Midway. My last name isn't even Potterfield!

Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/298...ished-laminate

Basic Member

That is the one!

Sold out pretty quick...

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP
    Sold out pretty quick...
    "Backorder OK"

Rob Rat

I bought the finished stock from Boyd's along with with the bottom metal and metal trigger guard, to replace the plastic stock on my FV-SR. PROBLEM - The action screws from the FV are too short, and no rear wood screw for the trigger guard.

Anyone know the Savage part #'s, or where to buy these 3 screws otherwise?

Rob Rat

Well, I can tell you what screws they are NOT! (Thanks to the IDIOT at Savage parts) ETA - evidently not his fault.

I asked specificly for the stock screws for a Mark II TRR-SR. He asked me for sn, to which i replied- -the serial # won't get you the right part #, because I have a FV-SR rifle, and am installing an TRR-SR stock on it, and need the longer screws for a TRR-SR stock. "Oh, OK" Charged the card for $10 for 3 screws (1 rear wood screw PN: 703347, and 2 action screws PN: 100264)

Well, got the screws today, turns out I got screwed! The are the same *&&*^%$%^^% screws that I have for the FV stock - too short for the TRR stock. GGGGRRRRR!

Can someone who owns a TRR go to this link, and punch in your serial # and see what part # they give you for the front triggerguard screw, and front action screw?

https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

I came up with 703347 for the action & 100264 for the triggergard
    17 hmr * 22lr * 17 hornet * 204 ruger * 223 rem * 308 win * 243 win * 30-06 spring * 7mm mag

Rob Rat

Thanks for checking.

Interesting. I did some web searching, and it seems that some people have this issue with short screws, and some do not - I'm just lucky that way I guess!

I did find that Dip Inc: http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602 Sells bottom metal, trigger guards, and a 1" long screw set for the Savage Mark II. I ordered the 1" long Screw Set, as the screws on my FV, and the ones from Savage were 3/4" long, and 1" should get me where i want to be.

BKfromPA

Boyds sell the trigger guard and bottom metal and when you look at the details for those items, they explain that you need to buy the screws at a local hardware store or from Savage. My MK II FV doesn't have a trigger guard so I had to look at these items and that's how I learned that I needed new screws....

How much would it cost Boyds to add a couple screws of different lengths???

Rob Rat

I think they must be a rare thread, as the 1" screws coming from DIP are Torx head, not Allen. Again, looking at various threads on the web, you may not need the longer screws. Maybe the bushing at the bottom of the action that the screws thread into are different or something. You can get every thing from DIP, since they also sell the bottom metal and trigger guards.

I'm looking forward to bedding the action into the stock and posting some pictures once I get the screws. The short barrel, with a suppressor threaded on it with the TRR stock looks good so far.

Edited to add:

Savage FV-SR (16" threaded, fluted barrel), synth stock replaced with Boyd's Tacticool stock, Simmons 6.5-20x50AO WhiteTail Classic w/Mil-Dot reticle, Burris x-high Signature Rings w/-20 offset bushings, Harris 6-9" swivel bi-pod, and a Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 Suppressor. She's quiet, and accurate!

3fingervic

I may buy one, and try to convert it to left handed. Do you guys think it will be too difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rat
    Savage FV-SR (16" threaded, fluted barrel), synth stock replaced with Boyd's Tacticool stock, Simmons 6.5-20x50AO WhiteTail Classic w/Mil-Dot reticle, Burris x-high Signature Rings w/-20 offset bushings, Harris 6-9" swivel bi-pod, and a Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 Suppressor. She's quiet, and accurate!
    That's basically my FV-SR setup.

Unfinished Tacticool from Boyd's painted up, Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 in medium Signature Zee rings with 20MOA inserts, Harris 6-9 bipod, and waiting on the Form 4 for my Guardian to come back.