Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

kevin_stevens

There's nothing wrong with a .270. I prefer the .30-06 because of the wider selection of factory ammo, and its world-wide availability. All of the arguments of the .30-06 superiority at the upper end of terminal ballistics seem moot in your case as you'd be using the .338 anyway.

KeS
    Last edited by kevin_stevens; 11-13-2012 at 05:37 AM.

flatshooter
    wider selection of factory ammo...

the 130 .270 can do all.... shot placement.

So the 165 .30-06 can do all... both have the same BC

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by flatshooter View Post
    wider selection of factory ammo...

the 130 .270 can do all.... shot placement.

So the 165 .30-06 can do all... both have the same BC
    :shrug:

I put a 180g TSX diagonally through a zebra and broke the off shoulder with the TSX stopping under the skin. I wouldn't have taken that shot on that animal with a 130g bullet. But like I said, for the OP it's moot as he has a .338 and isn't trying to do everything with the .270.

KeS

flatshooter
    Kev...

meant do all North America. A zebra.. with a premium bullet the .270 WILL do it.

medium to heavy game.

bigngreen
    Three bulls and three cows in two days from three hunters using 270's loaded with 165 Matrix or 130gr BTSP, all very effectively killed. The only reason I will shoot my 338 RUM over my 270 with 165 Matrix is when the range dictates a 300gr Berger!

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I find it interesting that Dakker mentions something I have often wonder a LOT about. When going after elk all the writers say ya gotta use this bullet or that caliber, and I noticed that he even used a 168 in the 308, but only a 130 in the 270. Not sure if this is for BC or what, but I have really been wondering about using the Barnes 130gr TTSX in my 'o6.
    [QUOTE= I recently asked a tech. at Sierra if thier bullets would penetrate heavy bones and continue to do the job. His answer was, "I don't know of any bullet that could"..... , so I took it that he was saying no. So for added assurance I loaded 180 grain Nosler partitions for my .308 pump, for deer/bear, and 130 grain Barnes TTSX for my .270 winchester, for deer/bear.

Barnes did mention that you could drop down a caliber or bullet weight and still get the job done.[/QUOTE]

The reason I use 165's in the 308, is because they work every time. Likewise in the 270, jack killed half of the animals on the planet with them. When I shoot for the 1,000 yard line, I concern myself with BC. If someone knows drop tables and HONESTLY how far they actually shoot big game; BC is irrelevant in hunting distances.

1)

2) WAY more info is needed for that conversation to be usefull, was he talking about getting a GK tip plugged? Barnes has to heat-treat their bullets, to keep them from instantly opening. So, unless you can ask the right questions; you think you CAN go lighter than normal. The REALITY is that you HAVE TO. Call Barnes and ask them what the guaranteed operational velocity window for a SPECIFIC bullet. Then call and ask any other bullet maker, about the same weight class.
    Barnes has a MUCH higher velocity requirement for reliable expansion. That is why you heard they penetrate so well, and why you can go lighter. If you don't, you may not get them to open; so yeah, they are going to penetrate....
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    T
    2) WAY more info is needed for that conversation to be usefull, was he talking about getting a GK tip plugged? Barnes has to heat-treat their bullets, to keep them from instantly opening. So, unless you can ask the right questions; you think you CAN go lighter than normal. The REALITY is that you HAVE TO. Call Barnes and ask them what the guaranteed operational velocity window for a SPECIFIC bullet. Then call and ask any other bullet maker, about the same weight class.
    Barnes has a MUCH higher velocity requirement for reliable expansion. That is why you heard they penetrate so well, and why you can go lighter. If you don't, you may not get them to open; so yeah, they are going to penetrate....
    Um, lots of questionable statements in there, so I'll ask some:

A) What's wrong with "opening instantly"?

B) So, Barnes has to heat-treat bullets to keep them from "opening instantly", and as a result they don't open at all? Wouldn't it seem that Barnes could develop an intermediate heat treatment if this was a problem?

KeS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NATTY BUMPO View Post
    The 270 is adequate for everything up to and including field mice, assuming a good, stout 150 gr. bullet is used, but only for female and juvenile mice. I wouldn't recommend one for a bull mouse as they are much tougher and it is simply not enough gun.
    I Have to ask, Have you ever used a .270? Also what is your source of such a wealth of information?
    I personally have seen a lot of bull moose taken down with a winchester model 70 in .270. As for the field mice you mention, It is probably accurate enough for those too

Basic Member
    Ahem, gerard: Learn to recognize sarcasm. I know they don't have sarcasm on your planet but the rest of us are familiar with it and hate necroposts coming back because some etymological genius from a galaxy without sarcasm can't figure it out.

Basic Member

Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

.270 is plenty gun to kill any North American animal. It's all about shot placement. My old man has killed everything in Alaska but a grizz and polar bear with his .270.

He hasn't hunted either yet because they don't taste the best and no point in killing something you aren't going to eat.

Some people are trophy hunters and may disagree, but I don't need a rug on my wall to prove I can hunt.

Taken at 400 yards one shot and flop

Taken at 50 yards one shot and flop
    Both taken with a 270 Win enough said.

Basic Member
    Charles,
    Those are nice. Gotta say, that 50yd shot on the sheep is not the norm, at least from what I see on TV. All those guys say you're lucky to get withing 300yds so you need the 300 Ultra Super magnums just to have enough energy to scare them.

A good friend of mine has hunted elk for many years, always used the 270 with the 150gr ROUND nosed bullets. Never had a pass through, but never lost an elk either. He has quite a few to his credit too.

By the way, not all Barnes bullets have the same design parameters. Some will open at speeds over 2100fps and some down as low as 1600fps (LRX bullets) and the TAC X bullets are also designed to open at slower speeds. Most of the bullets are designed to operate correctly at velocities that would fit the ballistic curve of the caliber of cartridges they are expected to be used in, ie. .308 cal spitzer bullets would be expected to perform normally from cartridges like anything from 300 Savage and up.

I am very familiar with those issues, and have spoken with Barnes folks either via email or phone many times on that very topic.

Hatari
    Quote Originally Posted by 1983Weatherby View Post
    .270 is plenty gun to kill any North American animal. It's all about shot placement. My old man has killed everything in Alaska but a grizz and polar bear with his .270.

He hasn't hunted either yet because they don't taste the best and no point in killing something you aren't going to eat.

Some people are trophy hunters and may disagree, but I don't need a rug on my wall to prove I can hunt.
    I've killed a very big full maned Tanzanian lion with the 270. Two shots were needed, but he was very sick after the first shot and just limped away less than 20 yards to crouch down again on his belly. A lesser but much better maned lion was collected in the same area with 375H&H a year earlier with two shots. The .375H&H didn't kill any quicker. I've killed a griz in Yukon that won my guide the silver buckle. Two elands and two bull elk huge 66"Yukon moose zebra etc. as well as a dikdik also fell to 270 win. Unless you're hunting huge Alaskan brown or polar bear, I feel that 270 with 130gr NosPT is all you need on your continent. I'm not talking LR hunting here. And a 7mm Rem mag with 160gr Nosler PT will have you covered if you limit your shots to 300yds.
    BTW I didn't get to eat my polar bear because it couldn't be imported into the US, but the Inuits told me they were good eating. I ate my lion, but I prefer eland.
    Last edited by Hatari; 01-20-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: To add more info

mike grant
    Ive killed many a deer with my 270, anywhere from 75 too 250 yards and never had one run more than 50 feet..

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by NATTY BUMPO View Post
    The 270 is adequate for everything up to and including field mice, assuming a good, stout 150 gr. bullet is used, but only for female and juvenile mice. I wouldn't recommend one for a bull mouse as they are much tougher and it is simply not enough gun.
    I once took a bull mouse with a .22 LR. True story. Shot placement is key.

About 6 or 8 years ago there was a story written by Ken Howell entitled "The Indoor Safari" that was published in the Varmint Hunter Magazine. On a whim I just did a Google search and low and behold he's posted it up on the 24hourcampfire forum. So this one's for all you hardcore mouse hunters....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/6231639/1

And if you don't know who Ken Howell is, well....you're missing out on some darn good stories! And no, I'm not talking about the one that played baseball.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

And a 7mm Rem mag with 160gr Nosler PT will have you covered if you limit your shots to 300yds.
    Maybe even a bit further if you are up to the task.

Got to love the back and forth between Jack and Keith over the years concerning the merits of the 270. My favorite is when Keith said "he preferred to hunt his game before he shot them rather than after." When all is said and done the 270 will get it done.
    Last edited by wbm; 07-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.

mike grant
    Thank you mr furious for sharing the story.. good laugh!

Basic Member
    i witnessed my first long range shot ever at a large animal (a deer) take place with a model 70
    in 270 with a unertle scope on it. the shooter was laying prone on a dirt mountain rd while using the back seat from his car as a rest.
    it took 3 shots to hit and kill the deer at a claimed 700 yds. wether he dialed the scope i cannot say. the year was 1956 and i was then a
    mere 21 years old. about 15 years later the long range bug bit me and i aquired a surplus military rangefinder which i still have.
    his claim was right on as for distance. irronicly my first and only pa black bear was taken at the same spot 50 years later. i took that with a wildcat 7x300 weatherby on a lefty 700 action. i didnt use the back seat from a 56 chevy as a rest but rather a portable bench.

The only elk I ever shot was with a 150 grain Partition from a .270 at 50 yards or so in heavy cover, I pulled the trigger, the elk politely fell over where he stood. I have killed a bunch of deer and a few antelope since then and the .270 has always done the job.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

we truly obsessed with caliber, in southeast Asia they kill elephants with .22 ;-)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    we truly obsessed with caliber, in southeast Asia they kill elephants with .22 ;-)
    if were obsessed with anything here it would be performance. that no doubt due to the desire for a more humane kill.
    im sure at some point in history groups of natives killed elephants with spears and clubs.

Cold Trigger Finger
    The old 06 vs 270 debate. Personally I greatly dislike the 06 . And I've had 5 of them. I've owned a 270 and got 1 for my wife. I really like the 270, just because it ain't an 06. But we don't have one any more. The 270 will kill anything the 06 will just as well. . Around here plenty of moose are killed every year with the 270. The 338/06 has a very loyal following in Alaska and like the 35 Whelan is a good killer. For myself tho I hunt all big game with a rifle that will dump a brown bear at close range with a chest shot . My personal favorites are the 9.3×64 Brenneke, 416 Remington and 458 Win Mag. I've killed lots of deer with both the 416 s and the 458. And plenty of bear with them. The 9.3 is just a wonderful little round. Comparable to the 375 H+H. Which I really like also.
    If it were me and you wanted to stay with the 2.5" case, I'de build a 6.5/06 AI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12