Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

Team Savage

Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

270 win vs a 30-06.
    The 270 barrel is a keeper for sure.
    I am thinking there is not that much difference certainly as far as deer and pigs.
    How about Elk, moose, Bear etc, but then again I have a 338-06.

I would think a win 270 160 gr nosler or similar weight barnes bullet would do anything a 30-06 heavy load would do.
    Besides in the family we have 3 Remi 30-06's.

Wondering why bother even keeping a 30-06 barrel.
    Only reason I can think is if I take a hunting trip with say taking a 338-06 and 416 ruger complete rifles, I could drag along a 30-06 barrel
    like if I cant find other ammo.

Right now I have these barrels - 270, 30-06, 338-06

I have 95 gr TTSX 270 win loads runing at 3700 fps so its a very flat shooter, but causes a real mess on game close up.
    With a 30-06 I could run heavier 220 grain bullets.

Later will be picking up a 22-250 barrel for varmints and a 416 ruger or taylor later on for a heavy hitter.

Re: Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

Saw a large elk being takenby 270 in mannlicher stock on the outdoor channel
    Shot placement is key as usual and bullet selection
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

Re: Re: Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

If you can find an elk that can tell the difference between an 06 & a 270 I'll wash your car :)

Seriously though, if you already have a 338-06 I think you have it covered. Now if you just plain want to have an 06 in the safe, then by all means do it. I'm not one to advocate for less firearms.

No reason to feel undergunned with a 270 sighting down on nice 6 point bull. Heck, I once saw a guy shoot a relatively small northern CA muley with a 30-378, had to put 3 in him to get him down. Poor thing looked like swiss cheese when we got to him. A bigger bullet wont make up for poor shot placement, I don't care what anyone says.

Basic Member

Re: Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

The 270 is all a friend of mine hunts with. Deer, elk doesn't matter to him. He uses 150gr soft points, and not the bullet I would recommend, but I think your 160 would be great. A 160 TSX or std construction 180 in the '06 is good medicine, so no reason a 160 from a 270 won't do it too. It would be a little slower than the '06's 165, but not enough to matter.

Basic Member

check out this article its very interesting.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...shooting-1.php

Team Savage

I like the 270 and will definitely keep that barrel.

I can load it with 95 gr TTSX bullets at 3700 and the trajectory is 0 at 250, -2.3 at 300, -10.5 at 400, -24 at 500.
    Really hot load and causes a lot of damage, but will blow a pig apart at under 100 yards.
    I also load the 130 game king which is a more civil bullet and 160 gr partition.

The 95 gr TTSX shoots of to the left about 6" from the other two so I have to fiddle with the scope for it..

In 30 caliber I guess 90% of why I am interested is the 208gr Amax.
    Great super long range bullet. Used it to hunt with one year.

I have one field I go to regularly that is 800 yards long. Would never try a deer over 400 yards, but would try a hog at any distance
    even with a pellet gun if that is all I had.

That said the 338-06 beats the 30-06 for killing power and the trajectory is great with a 185 gr TTSX.
    The 270 with a 130 gr pro hunter is probably a better deer round IMO.
    30-06 is just sort of in the middle.

Flyinsquirel - My car needs washing so I will look for that Elk.

Basic Member

Re: Re: Would like to hear opinions on the actual killing power of a 270 Win large game

I wish you luck my friend :)

Basic Member

In the last 50+ years of my hunting the .270 has never failed to kill what I've shot at. I have other clibers but seem always take the .270.
    While doing other things I often wish I were hunting.
    While hunting I seldom, if ever, wish I were doing anything else

NATTY BUMPO

The 270 is adequate for everything up to and including field mice, assuming a good, stout 150 gr. bullet is used, but only for female and juvenile mice. I wouldn't recommend one for a bull mouse as they are much tougher and it is simply not enough gun.

Some of my relatives were lucky enough to go on an African plains game hunt recently. While stalking one species they came upon a 1600# Eland. The guide told my cousin that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he took the beast with one shot from a Ruger M77 in .270
    Don't doubt the killing power of the .270 for one second.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

were are Elmer & Jack when you need them ?
    oh well Chuck Hawks will have to do
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/column8_oconnor_vs_keith.htm
    Last edited by Willoughby; 07-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.

skypilot
    I would recommend bigger than .270 if hunting moose or in bear territory unless you can outrun your hunting partner.

Basic Member
    Up to Elk a 130g JSP will drop them with ease & yup shot placement like any other caliber will do the job. Thats all my pal has ever used on them in 40 years with his .270 on every hunt we have done out here. I use a 7mm-08 with a 140g bullet myself.

or a be very good shot and have the gods on your side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rCy5M5Y74o
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I would stay in the 140 to 150gr range to keep the speed up and hunt anything you want, the 270 is a fine cartrige.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by flyinsquirel View Post
    If you can find an elk that can tell the difference between an 06 & a 270 I'll wash your car :)

Seriously though, if you already have a 338-06 I think you have it covered. Now if you just plain want to have an 06 in the safe, then by all means do it. I'm not one to advocate for less firearms.

No reason to feel undergunned with a 270 sighting down on nice 6 point bull. Heck, I once saw a guy shoot a relatively small northern CA muley with a 30-378, had to put 3 in him to get him down. Poor thing looked like swiss cheese when we got to him. A bigger bullet wont make up for poor shot placement, I don't care what anyone says.
    Best advice so far.

Lets assume that you are going to wait for a proper shot, and NOT take a hail-mary into the general side of the animal.
    Does "More killing power" mean anything tangible? No. Having no lungs and running 50 yds on adrenaline, is the same as having no lungs and running 50 yds on adrenaline. Between me and my Idaho hunting group, we have killed 5 Elk (5*5 or bigger) with 130gr Hot-Cor's(270) and 165gr Hot-Cor's(308), 1 moose with that 270 loading(130gr) and one with the 308 load. Honestly don't know for sure, but somewhere in the 15 black bear range. Bear are the easy one to kill, IMO. Breaking a hip when they are unhappy with you being there, is not difficult.

IMO, FWIW... MOST of what people "KNOW" about needing this or that for large, or dangerous game comes from 2 interconnected sources:
    OLD popular journalist writings and OLD bullet construction.
    Remember back in the "golden age of the west", like when Elmer and Keith were alive? Bullets were constructed from generally round copper tubes, a chunk O lead that had the SNOT lubed out of it so they could be pressed together.
    There were no expansion tests, there were no heat treated, or skived jackets. They had no inner locking rings, or bonded cores. If you DIDN'T want a bullet failure IF you hit bone, you had better use the heaviest nastiest bullet that existed; or it may deflect/seperate.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

WuzYoungOnceToo
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    IMO, FWIW... MOST of what people "KNOW" about needing this or that for large, or dangerous game comes from 2 interconnected sources:
    OLD popular journalist writings and OLD bullet construction.
    Remember back in the "golden age of the west", like when Elmer and Keith were alive? Bullets were constructed from generally round copper tubes, a chunk O lead that had the SNOT lubed out of it so they could be pressed together.
    There were no expansion tests, there were no heat treated, or skived jackets. They had no inner locking rings, or bonded cores. If you DIDN'T want a bullet failure IF you hit bone, you had better use the heaviest nastiest bullet that existed; or it may deflect/seperate.
    There is much truth here ^^^^^^^^

On the same note if you like those 95gr Barnes, try some 90gr Sierra HP and the Barnes 85gr both the MPG and RRLPs, with a full case of RL17 they are good for 4000 FPS +, poor poor piggy's and yotes don't fair that much better either, and the best thing yet is that you can shoot them from an adjacent county and not have to worry about bullet drop.

Tanks Dean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    or a be very good shot and have the gods on your side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rCy5M5Y74o
    good thing he was wearing shorts.... God is on his side, and the lead was flying man. best shot he'll ever make.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Luckus
    I don't own a 270, but I know a bunch of good hunters that do. They kill everything they want to with them, and many of them would'nt use anything else.

BigHorn
    Living in Elk country and with the majority of hunters not being "Rifle Loonies" a .25-06 and a .270win are fairly common, fairly normal use on everything rounds here. Vast majority are fed the cheapest ammo Wal-Mart sells. Lots and lots of dead elk with them.

Contrary to what the slick magazines tell us, having guided for and killed a few elk myself, I do not find them to be tough to kill at all. They take a shot, teter around a bit and tip over. This is with pointy sticks and with "normal" calibers .... 257, 25-06, 270, 30'06 that sort of thing. A good friend of mine uses a 338, there are a few 300's, but for the most part a .30'06 is considered a Cannon here.

1happyshooter
    I think the 270 is plenty for anything in North America. Not perfect for every situation but plenty for any.

Basic Member
    I find it interesting that Dakker mentions something I have often wonder a LOT about. When going after elk all the writers say ya gotta use this bullet or that caliber, and I noticed that he even used a 168 in the 308, but only a 130 in the 270. Not sure if this is for BC or what, but I have really been wondering about using the Barnes 130gr TTSX in my 'o6. Currently i have 168gr TTSX's in it, and it is fine, but the little 130gr would be slightly less recoil (not a big deal) and considerably better trajectory. In fact it pretty well outdoes the 270 with the same bullet. It can be pushed slightly over the 3200fps mark, but I figured a trajectory path with under 3100 fps and it is pretty much point and shoot clear to 300yds. With a 250yd zero, it's about 2.4" high at 100, and 3.25 low at 300, with only 14in drop to 400 and still retains over 1500ftlb of energy at 400.

Maybe when this crop of 168's are gone that's what I'll do, then I'll have my 30 cal 270

thomae
    Woodleigh makes a 180 grain 270 projectile.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/871...oint-box-of-50

Sectional Density: 0.334
    Ballistic Coefficient: 0.513
    Might be a good, hard hitting long distance bullet.

flatshooter
    just me two cents...

Shot placement is the key to any successful hunt.

O'Connor shots were, from what I read and heard, open country hunts. Kieth on the other hand was hunting in brush and heavy cover, that why he prefered a stouter cartridge because he took "raking shots".

I recently asked a tech. at Sierra if thier bullets would penetrate heavy bones and continue to do the job. His answer was, "I don't know of any bullet that could"..... , so I took it that he was saying no. So for added assurance I loaded 180 grain Nosler partitions for my .308 pump, for deer/bear, and 130 grain Barnes TTSX for my .270 winchester, for deer/bear.

Barnes did mention that you could drop down a caliber or bullet weight and still get the job done.
    Last edited by flatshooter; 11-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast