Thread: .338-06 Savage Build/Load Development - Moved from Picture Post

Team Savage

.338-06 Savage Build/Load Development

After this year’s monster deer season in Kansas with my Savage F Class .308 (168 Berger Hunting bullets – 4 killed from 330 to 500 yards) I decided to step up on my caliber for a medium to long range hunting rig. The .308 did fine, but I need something with more energy. After researching all the .338’s flooding the market, I decided that was ticket. However, I wanted one that was efficient and I didn’t have to feed 100 grs of powder too nor did I want a muzzle break.

The .338-06 was the choice I settled on. If this performs as planned, I’m never looking back… I’ll still stick with my 6.5 Sweede in Texas. The Hornady brass I’ll neck up from .30-06, the bullet will be the Hornady 225 gr Interbond (Not SST), BR2 primers and Alliant Power Pro 2000MR or 4000MR (still pending load data from Alliant). My calculations should put me at 2700 fps without any issues. Load development results to follow.

The spec’s:
    Action: Savage Model 111, LA, Center Feed DBM
    Trigger: Rifle Basics
    Lug: NSS
    Barrel: Shilen Select Match, 26 inch, Varmint Contour
    Stock: Hogue Over Molded, full length 7075 aluminum block (skim bedded)
    Base: Weaver 20 MOA
    Rings: Leupold QR
    Scope: Nikon Buck Master 6-18 Fine Cross hair with target dot and target turrets

These were the results of my first load testing. I did further testing out to 500 yards and all held MOA (Even with another shooter who has never seen the rifle).

Last edited by kschilling; 11-25-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

Team Savage

Re: .338-06 Savage Build on Model 111 DBM - Moved from Picture Post

After inspecting the brass from the use of PP 2000 MR, a few of them started showing the on set of case separation >. Initially I used S&B Match Primers and then tried BR2's and things got ugly. It shot great, but I didn't have that "warm and fuzzy feeling". So, I think the PP2000 MR was a bit too slow. I developed the following:

Powder: Varget
    Primer: S&B
    Brass: WW
    Bullet: 225 SST

I tried the powder charges of 49 - 53 and all of them performed outstanding. If it wouldn't have been for the 25 mph cross wind and head wind, I'm sure they would've been worthy of pictures. However, each load seemed to put two in almost the same hole, then I'd get behind the wind and I'd toss one 3/4 inch directly left of the others. The good sign, everything was horizontal.... no vertical climb at all.

When I returned from the range, I inspected the shells. NO pressures issues and NO on-set of separation. I picked the charge that I felt confident with and began reloading the same shells. However, this time I did something different. I only partially sized the neck with the full length die. I double checked all the primer pockets for increases. Nothing. Went back to the range and checked MOA at distances from 100 - 500 yards with the same nasty wind.

I'm happy to report the load did well. It held horizontal all the way out to 500 yards with a 25 mph cross / head wind. Everything was MOA. The cool factor????? It only took 14 MOA from Zero to print a straight line of 3 shots 5 1/5 inches wide at 500 yards!!!! :D :D :D

More to follow. I'm now moving up to the 250 grain BTHP's.

efw

Re: .338-06 Savage Build/Load Development - Moved from Picture Post

You're getting great results there; I'm impressed.

I absolutely LOVE that cartridge. Did you chrono that load?

One question... did you install/headspace the barrel yourself? I'm REALLY surprised that you'd get case head separation indications after one loading of ANYTHING, unless you had overly generous headspace. I could be way off (Heaven knows its happened before!) but I've never heard of head separation issues after one firing except in generously headspaced chambers. When I headspaced my barrel I set it so that the go gauge would BARELY close; it had to be forced a bit. That coupled w/ neck-sizing would have helped my brass life had I kept it long enough .

Can you tell I miss her?

As for powders, I had GREAT results from Ramshot's Big Game & Hunter, the latter particularly shined w/ 250s, giving superb accuracy & speed. I also ran RL-17 & IMR-4530 and both gave good results w/ 215s & heavier.

Good luck,

efw

Team Savage

Yeah.. I headspaced it just like I've done the other 10 barrels I've installed. I always set the Go gauge tight. When I re-checked it, it was the same as before. I'm thinking I wasn't using the right speed of powder. I'm trying to narrow down my powder use to only a few different types so I don't have so many sitting around.

efw: Sorry for your loss :-\

leatherlunger

Nice rifle man. Ive been wanting to build a 338-06 for a long time! Theres a company called Rocky Mountain Bullets that is making ULD 225 grain and 250 grain bullets with a rebated boat tail design and super high BC's that would be sweet in that caliber. Also Bore tech is making 245 grain monolithics with a higher BC than Berger 300's. Check em out. Nice build.

leatherlunger

howa the 250bthp's treatin you. got any data?

Team Savage

Leatherlunger: Sorry for the time delay on this. Been running around 4 different states Shooting F Class T/R. I'm finally back in TX and getting ready for three different matches.

I've changed the load to RL19 and have shot both the 250 Horn BT and Sierra MK. Both rounds shot at 1 inch at 100. No adverse signs of any pressure and great to shoot. I'm currently working on the 285 Horn BT load now. I've only shot a couple to determine recoil. Actually it's better then the 250's. All I know is I have too much fun shooting clay birds at 500m with it..... they simply don't break.... they get turned to DUST!!!!! It's freak'in AWESOME!!!!!!!! I'm currently working with a powder node of 57-58 grains of RL19.

Worked a load with PP4000 but was not happy with the speed. She topped out at 2600 fps and the performance sucked! I didn't Chrony the RL19 load. I'll work on that next.

$%^&.... just thinking about it makes me want to go out and shoot it again!!!!!! No..... I can't...... I must prepare for the match on Saturday.......

Ken

Team Savage
    Try some 210-225 grainers over RL17.

leatherlunger
    You shot uer 338-06 anymore lately ks?

Aircraftmech76
    I'm interested in hearing your development with the 285 Hornady's!

Kevin

Team Savage
    Hey Guys!!! Yep, been shooting it between F Class Matches getting ready for this years season. Worked another load for it... 200 grain Combine Tech (Nosler) with 55.5 grains of PP 2000 MR. Almost 2800 fps and hell on energy. Couple of my buddies have shot it and had a blast at 500 meters with it on a Ram swinger. Typically we can't ever get the swinger to move, but not that day! 4 shot, rapid fire!!!!! We had that 85lb swinger moving 2 1/2 feet!!!!!!

As for the 285's haven't messed with them in a while. They are only target bullets. May play around with them after Deer season.

Team Savage
    Here is a new update with the new Berger 250 OTM. Same powder load, COL now out to 3.58. What a dream to shoot. We had it out yesterday at an F Class Clinic shoot smacking a 10 steel plate at 500 yards...... only 2 shooters out of about 18 missed...... and that was in a 15-20 wind!!!!!

leatherlunger
    Keep the updates coming in i am still very interested in your rifle combo. Nice 100 group

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherlunger View Post
    Keep the updates coming in i am still very interested in your rifle combo. Nice 100 group
    Following this one as well. Keep it coming

Team Savage
    It's now time for deer season.........

Team Savage
    Up in Kansas guys...Sure has been dry this year. Using the Model 111 in .338-06 with 200 gr Nosler Combined Tech bullets. Confirmed all the sight settings, I'm good out to 600 yards. Velocity is running at 2750 fps. Time to start watching the tree lines again.......

Ken

Team Savage
    Well.... Kansas didn't prove to be a winner this year for me. The drought up there wasn't kind........

But, got back down to Texas and setup for some Hog Hunting yesterday. No hogs, but did get a average size doe. Taken from 220 yards with the .338-06 and Nosler Combine Tech 200 grain bullets. Perfect hit into the vital zone and she dropped in her tracks. Very little meat damage. Very impressed with the initial results. Going after some hogs after Christmas.....

I have two 338-06's Have not been able to work up any loads yet. The first one when it was test fired with 225's in the rubber made stock it kicked like a mule, I had a brake installed can't make my mind up on what I want for a stock. The other is a new build but that is as far as I have got. Any input that you may have would be great.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Team Savage
    Hey Whelen...
    Even before I purchased the barrel, I found the stock that would suck up the recoil. It's the Houge. It controls the recoil and makes it enjoy to shoot. I also weight my stocks. I don't mind the extra weight and yes I do hunt in extreme elevations. Low down here in Texas, but our Family Ranch in NM sits at 8500 ft. I tried the "brake" thing when I first started, but I never liked the feedback from the muzzle.

Ken

Basic Member
    Kick ?
    I have a stevens-a&b 338-06 with sss work, they fluted barrel and bolt, burris signature 1.5x6 with warne bases and rings, dura max stock.
    200 and 215 grn bullets with 61 grns imr 4350
    clover leafs at 100 yds, 1 1/2" at 200 yds.
    No kick, more like a shove
    Love my build
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Team Savage
    Yeah.... you're right. A shove would be more descriptive then kick. I've worked loads all the way up to 285 grain bullets and the recoil remains the same.... a shove. I really enjoy the 250 Berger....

Basic Member
    I am helping a friend find loads for a 338-06 he recently acquired. Sierra sent me their load tables with the 220s and 250s. Sent me a PM with your email if you want a copy. It is a pdf file.

Tim