Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annealing temperature

gotcha

Re: Annealing temperature

LOL! Guess I missed that part ??? So.......... now I have to deal with blisters AND frostbite?

ellobo

Here is how the old timers of my youth did it. Get a shallow pan that will hold about an inch of water. Stand the cases in the pan butt down. Heat the necks-shoulders that blue-grey color with a berz-o-matic torch with a pencil flame nozzle and tip over into the water. Nice shiney cases right out of the tumbler are easier to see the color on. Been doing it for yrs, seems to work OK.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Here is how the old timers of my youth did it. Get a shallow pan that will hold about an inch of water. Stand the cases in the pan butt down. Heat the necks-shoulders that blue-grey color with a berz-o-matic torch with a pencil flame nozzle and tip over into the water. Nice shiney cases right out of the tumbler are easier to see the color on. Been doing it for yrs, seems to work OK.

El Lobo
    +1, that's the way I did it years ago. I do like the Tempilaq method though, lets me know what the heat is doing at critical areas of the case.

I did some 308 cases yesterday (LC 71 Match) that came out good.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

gotcha

Update, decided to go w/ Coverdogs advise since I already had 650* tempilaq. W/ single torch I duplicated his results by starting at a short dwell time then allowing case to cool completely. Continued to increase dwell time in 6/10th sec. increments followed by complete cooling. Got perfect Tempilaq readings @ 6 sec's........ 1&1/4" cone length, tip of cone 1&1/8" from center of case holder...... Color on the Lapua 6.5X47L cases was a beautiful gold ( I can see gold :D) W/ a thin ( 1/8") blue stripe 3/16" below shoulder. Critical casehead DIDN'T overheat..... Necks passed the "springback" test. Why the gold color? damedifiknow!....... Maybe cause I didn't quench in Iced tea ::) Next step, ( I'm OCD too) a 20 lb. propane tank w/ "t" fitting & two torch heads. If I don't end up burning down the garage, I'll let y'all know how it works out....Coverdog... Thanks for the excellent advise. Dale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12