Thread: Savage model 840, 30-30 scope recommendations?

CJ

Savage model 840, 30-30 scope recommendations?

I was given the gun and a new scope, problem is the action cannot cycle properly because the bolt lever strikes the aft bell of the scope when ejecting a round.

Obviously the scope bell is to large.....? Other side mount opportunities I'm missing...?

Do you have or know of a scope model/brand that fits the 840 well?

Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Savage model 840, 30-30 scope recommendations?

It sounds like you need taller rings to allow your bolt handle to clear the objective bell of the scope, the down side of this will probably be the inability to achieve a good cheek weld.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

CJ

Thank you Bob,

You are correct in that greater scope elevation will cause cheek weld/comfort issues. In addition I have not found alternate "higher" rings that will fit the original factory weaver side mount.
    Again thank you for your response, can you recommend a scope that fits the 840 without interfering with the bolt?

CJ

Does anyone own an 840 and if so what scope have you mounted?
    Thanks again

CJ,

It's been a long time since I owned a 340 but the one I had that was scoped wore an old Weaver K2.5, the steel tube scope made in El Paso Texas. You might try the auction sites for a higher set of rings if you decide to go that route or you could look for one of the older scopes like the Weaver or the Kollmorgan Bear Cub, Lyman Alaskan etc. Some of these older scopes had 7/8" tubes so you would need a set of spacers to adapt your 1" rings, if you need them I probably have a set around somewhere or I can make you a set in a few minutes.

Good luck!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Eric in NC

That was one of the probs with the 340 series - just not a great way to put a scope on them.

You could try a scope with a smaller diameter "bell" like one of the Burris 2-7x compacts or something (or an old Weaver as suggested).

rohk

I have a 840 and have had a mueller TACII and a bushnell 4200 mounted neither gave me any problems.

jds30cal

I have an 840 with a sightron 3x9x40 scope with a weaver side mount and detachable ring setup. The bolt does clear the scope but it is close. MidwayUsa has the parts in stock. #574071 for the base and #272671 for the side mount rings.