Thread: Best reticle for long range hunting?

Best reticle for long range hunting?

I would like some input from you folks on the best reticle choice for a mid - long range hunting scope. The scope will be used on an antelope rifle I am building right now and I anticipate dialing windage and elevation adjustments rather than "holding off". I have a couple of 6.5-20 Leupolds laying around right now and one of them will be going in for a reticle change in the near future. They both have target dots right now and while they are great on the range I just don't think they will work very well on pronghorns. So if you have a preference I would greatly appreciate your input, I'm not familiar with some of the newer reticles from Leupold.

The scopes are an older Vari-XIII EFR with target knobs and a newer VXIII with finger adjustable knobs so if I send the newer one it will get some sort of knob change, I would like to hear your input on the knobs also.

Thanks!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Re: Best reticle for long range hunting?

For a Leupold, I go with the Varmint Hunter reticle. A little finer lines than the Boone & Crocket version and has more range lines. Should work well with a flat shooting speed goat round.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    More shooting, less typing.

Thanks for the reply, that was one of the ones I was looking at but I figured that since I was going to dial the W&E I really didn't need the clutter. That one may work pretty well though if I can get my bullets to sync up with the aiming points.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

pa hog

All the fellas I hunt with use Fine CrossHair or Fine crosshair Dot reticle's me included, the Nikon BDC and Burris B-mildot are jokes they are way to busy and cover too much of your target, One of the guys we hunt with has a VH Reticle in a 6.5-20 Leupold and is changing to a SIII 8-32 FCH/Dot

I really like a duplex with a really fine crosshair for longer stuff to, the heavier lines help as to not lose the fine crosshair. But I'd stick with your target dot and try it out hunting you maybe surprised. Remember your aiming for a kill zone not a bullseye.

I'd say if your clickin W/E a Duplex with a fine crosshair or a Target dot will do you good.

I was strongly considering the fine duplex and also the CPC, since I have two scopes I will leave one with the target dot. I have yet to use the dot on game and I don't think I would try it on the local whitetails but it just might work out OK on the pronghorns especially in good light. I can always take the other one along for back up if the dot doesn't work out.

Bob