Thread: Mkii decision- please help

Kraash

Mkii decision- please help

I did a forum search really, but still having problem deciding. my problem is I sold my 15 yo mkii g to Have money for a 10/22,... Problem is now I miss it and want another soooo...
    Im trying to decide between walmart mkii f synthetic that's tapped for mounts but has no accu trigger for 140.00, OR a mkii g ordered on line for about 210.00 after ffl, that has accu trigger.

What should I do? Accu or no accu? Is it worth about 60 bucks more? I have noticed tht the wood stock quality has gone down a lot since I bought that one all those years ago, bummer.

thomae

Re: Mkii decision- please help

Just to throw some more variables into the works,
    Think about an aftermarket trigger. They run about $100 more or less.
    And I believe the current wood stocks are made by Boyds. In any case, Boyd's stocks are very nice and not very expensive.
    So you could purchase an inexpensive used one and upgrade...
    Also, do you want a heavy barrel? Something else to consider.

Personally I don't think you get enough with the newer model G. So I'd vote for the F. If it were me, I'd get the BRJ...
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

kris7047th

So what 10/22 did you buy? A new one or an older version? I am noy one bit impressed with the new Ruger 10/22's with all of the cheap plastic on, including the really cheap barrel band.

Kraash

I want to go reg barrel on this one, and price is kind of a big part atm, I did consider going with the F and putting an after market walnut stock on it... Main thing really is deciding between triggers :/

Sardine

Go with the accutrigger. It will get you 3 1/2 lbs. If not your stuck with 11 pound pull like on the wifes new 64. Smithy took it down to 3 1/2 but it still sucks. It's the worst rifle trigger I ever had until I bought a Marlin 30 30 with a 17 pound pull. It cleaned up better than the Savage as it's actually okay with the 3 1/2 pull but the Savage still sucks. I took them both in at the same time for the trigger jobs and they both are 3 1/2 now.

shaman

With some work the accutrigger can get pretty low.

JCalhoun

Having had both I would say the accutrigger is worth the extra money.

Jeff56

The F synthetic stock is enough reason to avoid that rifle. Plus no AT??? Go with the MkIIG. It's a much better rifle. I had a MkIIFV with the synthetic stock. It flexed a LOT. So I bought a Boyd's thumbhole stock and I haven't regretted that for one second.

BTW Boyd's doesn't make the G stock. Savage does. Boyd's stocks are always indicated with a B in the name. They are laminate stocks, not wood.

mh434

Well, I'll go against the grain here - I bought the F ("FXP" package) model with no accutrigger. I did the 20 minute trigger job on mine, and now it's incredible. My gun has the slightly tapered, no-sights barrel. The rifle shot incredibly well BEFORE the trigger job (10-shot, 50-yard group under 3/8", right out of the box), when it still had a 6-lb trigger pull. After the trigger job (cost = a piece of sheet metal scrap & half of the spring from a Bic disposable lighter), the trigger is a consistent, creep-free 2 lbs. 4 oz., like a glass rod breaking. Literally, the job took 20 minutes. Now that I've done it once, I could do it again in 10 minutes.

As for the synthetic stock, I don't have a problem with it. It fits me fine, it's light & seems sturdy, and the butt is hollow in the event I want to use the space for storage down the road.

For me, cost was a big factor (fixed-income pension). The money I saved (vs. wood stock & Accutrigger) will be going into some nice glass on it (mine came with a 3-9X40 Bushnell...it's okay, but I'll be moving up).

I'm just sayin' - it's a heck of a package for the money, and it's a real tack driver...

Walt T

Do yourself a favor and lose the Bic lighter spring and replace it with a spring from a set of old needle nose or diagonal cutters.
    When that lighter spring fails you'll get trigger reset problems and slam fires when closing the bolt-trust me on this, my own personal experience.

mh434

Quote Originally Posted by Walt T
    Do yourself a favor and lose the Bic lighter spring and replace it with a spring from a set of old needle nose or diagonal cutters.
    When that lighter spring fails you'll get trigger reset problems and slam fires when closing the bolt-trust me on this, my own personal experience.
    I am on the lookout for a better spring, for sure. The plan I saw originally called for using the spring out of a click-type pen, but a) I think they're too soft, and b) they're large enough in diameter to require over-boring the spring hole in the trigger. I didn't want to do the latter, as my gun's brand new & under warranty, so non-reversible mods are out for now. I'll be searching my shop for a pair of cutters I can sacrifice to the task...

cheap22

Have a G model and F model both have accu trigger.They both are set at under 2lbs. with no cutting of the spring.both shoot 3/8th inch groups.I like the feel of the G better.But have no trouble with the F.But my BTV is the best.It has an 8oz trigger straight out of the box,and it will shoot 1/4th inch groups all day long.with SK standard +.

Jeff56

I switched from an F stock to a BTV stock and I was amazed at the difference. Yes I could get a decent group with the F stock. But the BTV stock was just much more consistent. I suppose if you don't use a sling (I do) then an F stock wouldn't be so bad. I like a good synthetic stock. But I got a lot of flex with my F stock while using a sling. I actually had the stock flex so much it would touch the barrel.

Of course the differences in accuracy aren't all that much but to get a little better accuracy sometimes it takes a big change in hardware. My group sizes dropped from an average of about 3/8ths to half an inch at 50 yards (5 shots) to a quarter inch to 3/8ths. That probably doesn't mean a lot to most people but I really like accuracy. When I average under 3/8ths of an inch I'm going to get some groups that are quite small at times. I'm talking groups under .1". I really like being able to shoot that small of a group but the practical applications of that extra accuracy aren't really that great. It does allow me to hunt squirrels from a longer distance. If you're not interested in getting better accuracy then it probably won't matter that much to you. I do have other rifles that don't shoot as well which I use for different things like varmint control etc.. I also have a really light Marlin 795 semi-auto that's absolutely great for hunting squirrels or for popping varmints. I can carry it all day and shoot from the shoulder fairly accurate. Different rifles have different uses. I just like to get as much accuracy as I can with any rifle. As always YMMV.