Thread: Blind mag help

seanhagerty

Blind mag help

I have an older 110 with a blind mag arrangement. It started life as a 223. It has now been resurected as a 260 rem. I kept the 223 blind mag and follower and installed a single shot follower.

Lately I have wanted to be able to place multiple rounds in the mag, so I ordered a 30-06 blind mag and follower. I figured since it was a long action this would be the right choice. Well, it wasn't. The 30-06 blind mag is too long to fit into the space for the mag box.

What should I have gotten? 308? FYI, the distance between the action screw holes is 5.025" (I think! its tough for me to get it exact, but it definately just over 5")

Sean

helotaxi

Re: Blind mag help

.308 maybe. Measure the length of the mag box. I have a similar vintage rifle that was a .243 from the factory and they cut the mag well shorter for the shorter cartridges. I'm not sure if they cut the .223 shorter still.

The bolt is long, the magazine is sized for the round that the gun was made for. I wanted to convert my .243 to a .280 but without milling the bottom of the receiver out and finding a different mag box it isn't possible as a repeater.

Basic Member

You need a 243-308 short action staggered feed mag box and follower.
    If yours was a 223 you will need to change the front bolt baffle (if yours has the dog leg) so the bolt will come back
    enough to pick up a shell in the mag.

seanhagerty

I have a bolt that is a 30-06 and it works fine, since it is a long action. The cut out at the bottom of the action the issue. ???

I will get the gear for a 308 and see how that fits. Thanks for the help

Sean