Thread: MKII starting to shoot well at 50 yards

thomae

MKII starting to shoot well at 50 yards

Mark II Heavy Barrel. Pre E receiver, not bedded, stock trigger guard and bottom metal.
    Finally tried the close to 20 year old Eley Tenex (Pre-EPS, round nose) I have been saving for pistol matches to see if it really was the magic elixir. Apparently it is. Here are my best results from today.

I was shooting outdoors. The WX was sunny, 45 degrees F, winds variable up to about 15 MPH from my 3 O'clock. I was shooting from the prone position with an inexpensive Caldwell bipod and a sandbag under the butt. My barrel was dirty and although I was pausing and waiting for ideal wind between shots, there were some shots that I took fairly quickly because the wind was at a lull.

I am sure my technique leaves much to be desired. I am also sure the flier was me, but I am not sure what I did differently (or failed to do) for that shot.

I have not yet stretched it out to 100 yards to see what the rifle will do at that distance.

So far, the ammos I have tested run the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous:
    Eley Tenex
    CCI Standard Velocity
    Federal 714 Blue box
    Wolf Match Target
    Aguila Super Extra Standard velocity
    Remington Subsonic Hollow Point
    Remington Eley Target Rifle
    Eley Sport (Purple Box) (Sorted by rim thickness and unsorted)
    Winchester Xpert Hollow Point
    Federal 510
    CCI Subsonic Hollow Point
    Federal 714 Red Box
    Aguila Super Extra Subsonic
    Aguila Golden Eagle Pistol Match
    RWS Target Rifle
    Aguila Pistol Match
    Federal 719 Gold Medal Match
    PMC Target 22 (No longer made, yellow box)
    CCI Blazer

The only types of ammo which have given me less than .50 " CTC 5-shot groups are:
    Eley Tenex
    CCI Standard Velocity
    Wolf Match Target.

The brands that resulted in 4 shot groups (discounting single fliers) less than .50" are:
    Eley Tenex
    Remington Eley Target Rifle
    CCI Standard Velocity
    Eley Sport
    Remington Subsonic Hollow Point
    Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity
    Federal 714 Red Box
    Wolf Match Target
    CCI Subsonic Hollow Point
    Federal 510

Does this mean anything to you? Probably not, because what works in my rifle may not work in yours.
    Also, you are likely a better rifle shooter than I am.

Reading the posts, however, there seems to be a trend of a lot of people getting good results from CCI standard velocity.

As far as the sweeping generalization that Eley Tenex shoots well in any firearm? I certainly have not disproved that theory.
    ;D

dksac2

Re: MKII starting to shoot well at 50 yards

Congrats, it does take some time to get the Savage RF rifles shooting their best sometimes.

Experimenting in many ways from the rest the rife is in, the ammo, the hold, the scope (I like higher power AO scopes), action torque and so many other things, done one at a time so you can see what helps and what does not is worth the time.

Every once in a while, a bad crown etc may hurt groups, but if you have a good rifle, it's taking the time to experiment, it pays off in some darn nice groups.

Mine has had a lot of work done to it, but it has paid off in a very good shooting rifle, well worth the trouble.

Keep at it, My Best, John K

thomae

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

dksac2

Your welcome, many think a rifle will shoot it's best right out of the box. While some do, the majority of the time the rifle needs some works as do we, getting used to how the rifle likes to be held, the best ammo, scope and just making sure you are doing everything right, I know that when I do my best to do everything right, my groups are always tighter.
    With my savage as well as many others, I like to load 6 or 11 and fire one off to the side, then shoot my group, it seems to get rid of the occasional first shot flier. I have ideas what cause first shot fliers and I think a very clean chamber, getting rid of the hard ring that builds up just ahead of the case mouth adds to them as well as just a cold barrel.
    I have also found if I don't hold the rifle the exact same way every time as well as have it perfectly lined up on the bull, it helps also, if you are pushing the rifle to get it on the bull at all, you will have a flier.

Your group looks very good, especially with out the darn flier, good job.

My Best, John