Thread: Savage 93 Accuracy?

Basic Member

Savage 93 Accuracy?

Hey all, got out the 93 the other day (after not shooting it for about a year) and decided that i would put a scope on it and get it to shoot. (I bought it cuz i like to have a handy open sighted rifle around for plinking prairie dogs...long story short it would still shoot like a foot high at 100yds with the sights moved all the way down.) So the scope i put on is nothing great, a 3-12-40 bushnell (prob from the 90's, but it has worked well on other rifles as well). Range time. Shot it yesterday just to sight in at 50yds and i supose it did ok, but it wasnt great...maybe barely under inch groups using Remington 22 Win Mag 40gr PSP. I have some 30 gr winchesters to try too so that may be the case....anyone else had the same kind of luck? Can you rebarrel these little guys to something better? Oh by the way the stock is free floated as well....but not bedded....yet ;D
    Henry.

Basic Member

Re: Savage 93 Accuracy?

Is it a varmint barrel? Have you tried any other ammo? How windy was it?
    My brother had a ss 93 in 22 mag (sporter) that shot slightly better than that but not much. I think he was shooting the green tipped ballistic tips if I remember (not sure on the brand)... I don't think ~2 moa at 100 would be horrible if you were originally planning to use iron sights anyway. Try a couple different types of ammo before you give up on it. He now has a 93v in 17hmr since mine shot so good. They are both .75moa or less at 100 "when it is calm out" even a little wind will really mess with a little bullet.

I don't think it would be worth it to pay to rebarrel one when you can get them so cheap. I also think your only option would be a 17??

Old Grizz

I just bought one two weeks ago and find the accuracy to be excellent. The rifle is .17 fluted barrel with an accu-trigger. I don't have a picture of the target but at 100 yards off a bench shooting Hornady 17gr. HMR it shot groups you could cover with a a .50 cent piece.

Basic Member

No varmint bbl, and i havnt had a chance to try any other ammo....yet! Wind was 5-10mph coming from the direction i was firing twards (west). Man maybe the 17 is the way to go for accuracy, i just wish the 17 had the ballistics of the 22WMR at extended distances.

Man griz that sounds like you got a shooter! Mine has the accu-trigger too, maybe it will shoot better when i run some dif. shells through it. will update you when i do so you know. THanks!
    Henry.

LabRat2k3

Yep, I would try a few different types of ammo. My .22 mag is not a Savage, its a old Mossberg, but it will not shoot the Hornady or Remington ballistic tip bullets but loves Rem hollow points and CCI. May just have to play around with it a little to see what it likes. Also don't forget the little stuff, like checking to make sure the scope rings and bases are all tight, action screws are tight, ect. Can't tell you how many times stupid little stuff like that has bit me at the range.

Basic Member

haha seems like that for everyone else too! ;D Thanks labrat! I will try some different kinds and see what i can muster out of it...seems like every time i go shooting with someone they are wondering why their gun is shooting 4" groups @ 100...Checking those screws has become a job for me...I just need to remember to check my own once in a while.
    H

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by placek59
    How windy was it?
    Was wondering the same thing. My .17HMR doesn't buck wind at all, I'm shooting .17gr VMax. On a calm day it's a tack driver at 100 yards, but a moderate crosswind and it really drifts.

It's just the nature of light bullets.

kris7047th

Bought a 93FSS .22WMR Black Friday, put a Nikon Rimfire scope after purchase before ever firing it, sighted it in ...

Shot both targets @ 25 yds, My 2nd outing with this rifle.

I love this rifle !

The sling has been switched around

dksac2

I have to agree with the others.

Find the ammo your rifle likes the best, then practice, try different ways of holding the rifles, some like to be hardly touched, some like to be held firmer.

Have a good front rest, rear bag set up. Make sure the rifle is level every shot.

A scope that is an AO scope is almost a necessity so parellex does not become a problem.

I'm betting that with some work, your groups will close up. I have to experiment with every new rifle I get to find out what it likes the best.

Play with the action torque, sometimes more torqe on the middle screw than the tang screw helps, every rifle is different.

Best of luck, John K

bstrddsm

savage 93 .22lr with cci std velocity ammo at 50yrds

100yrd group

sorry for the large pics guys, 50yrd groups were 5 shot groups