Thread: First time gun owner Savage 114 Euro Classic

etamme

First time gun owner Savage 114 Euro Classic

Hey all just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm a first time gun owner - just bought a new in box Savage 114 Euro Classic in 30-06 from gunbroker.

I read a few posts on here after searching for "114 euro". Seems like it is a bit of an interesting/odd duck gun in the savage classic line (which kind of suits me). I got it because I like monte carlo stocks and iron sights.

Any links or references about the gun would be appreciated. Also, any general tips for a new gun owner too :)

Thanks

-Eric

Basic Member

Re: First time gun owner Savage 114 Euro Classic

Welcome to the site ;D The main advice I can give you as a new gun owner is just be safe and enjoy. There is a wealth of knowledge on here if you ever need any help, don't be afraid to ask.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

efw

Nice rifle, but I don't know if a 30-06 is something I'd shoot ducks with ;D ?

Seriously, take the gentleman's advice given above and be absolutely certain of the direction that your muzzle is pointing at all times, amongst other things...

I really love the classic rifles. Savages are extremely accurate, and add to that those beautifully classic looks and you've got a real winner! The sights, unlike many offered on factory rifles these days, are quality and workable. Get some quality glass in 2-7x or 3-9x and you've got a fantastic hunting rig that'll take about anything on this continent... though ducks might be a little overkill :) .

Best of luck,

efw

DarnYankee

Treat it as if it is always loaded !!! Many accidents have happened by unloaded guns. I went to a mans house one day to pick up some rifles to clean for him. His wife was sitting on the couch telling him to not point a rifle in her direction. He stated that it was not loaded and pulled the magazine out of it to prove this true. I reached and took the rifle from him. Noting that the safety was not in the safe mode I opened the chamber and ejected a shell. I was very happy that this gentleman did not shoot his wife that day.
    Never trust the safety on your rifle it is there as a back up for safe handling.
    Take a good hunter safety class. They will have alot of good info for you. Besides if you intend to hunt many states require it [no matter your age] before you can buy or apply for a license.
    Enjoy shooting it.

etamme

Yep not planning on shooting ducks ha ha. My girl friend and I are already signed up for a hunters education course this july (earliest we could get) she is looking to pick up the lady hunter that they just came out with so she's got some thing to shoot at the range as well.

Like I said, first time firearm owner, but I do own big bore airguns, so gun saftey is not a new phenomenon to me. I do appreciate, and agree with all the advice given so far.

Thanks again for the welcome.

-Eric

Basic Member

and the addiction begins...lol

Basic Member

Yep, welcome to the sickness! you are going to love that rifle. And remember, one of the best things about a Savage, other than the incredible out of the box accuracy potential, is that you are never stuck with one caliber. If you decide for whatever reason that you wish you have a ____ (fill in the blank with any rifle caliber), you can change the barrel out relativley easily and make your rifle into whatever centerfire caliber you wish. Sometimes you may need a bolt head swap, etc. but most of the time that is no biggie either. This site is an amazing place with a tremendous amount of knowledgeable folks willing to help. Alot of gun places on the net the folks will bash you for being new or asking a question, but on here that is not the case. You can learn all you want and more by reading through the info. Good luck with the new rifle. Let us know how it shoots!

P.S. I joined this site about a year and a half ago after I purchased my first Savage...a .17HMR rimfire. I now have 6 Savage rifles, several of them with multiple barrels and stock, including two complete builds. Also have a few in the works. Be careful with your bank account, and the late night reading of the classifieds section! You will wake up the next morning with some goodies on the way to your house if your not careful. ;D

mjbell

I have the same 114 30-06 as you which I also picked up from GunBroker! Picked it up last week and reset the trigger to 2 1/2 pounds for hunting. It was flawless at the range the other day and the action was really smooth. Love those iron sights too!