Thread: bedding

timmymic

bedding

I am looking at a savage model 10 fcp mcmillan, the only problem is that it is not bedded. (I know that the hs model comes bedded already but i like the mcmillan look better). But i was wondering what is the best/most accurate way of bedding... glass, aluminum block, or pillars?

Basic Member
    What makes you think it needs to be bedded?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

timmymic
    I guess that would have been a better question but everything I read says any gun can benefit from a bedding job

Basic Member
    If it's already pillar bedded I would bolt it in and try it first. You may not need it. Some will say you always have to have glass bedding on top of pillars, but I have shot and know others who shoot guns with pillar bedding only. A lot of the time they will shoot bug holes without the glass bedding.

timmymic
    Alright I will have to check that out because idk if it even has pillars

Basic Member
    Mc Millen stocks don't have pillars, and if you ask them, they will tell you that they are not necessary.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

timmymic
    That's not what this video says from mcmillans YouTube page...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6m4EAGmz8&feature=plcp

Basic Member
    I wouldn't doubt if sharpshooter is correct. They probably wouldn't hurt, but they may not be necessary. I have a friend running a weatherby mkIV on a carbelite classic with no pillars or glass bed and he is getting real consistent sub 1/2 moa groups out to 300 meters. It opens up to about 3/4moa to 600 after that, but it is a sporter contour barrel after all. The video may say otherwise, but I would bet he may have called them direct for his info.

I have a FCP McMillian 308. It's a tac driver. I skim bedded it, tweaked the trigger, and I have left it alone. 300 yards, it will shoot 1/4 groups when I do my job. Even using factory ammo. It was one of the first guns I have bought now 5 years ago. I still shoot it in some matches that require a magazine. Factory barrel. It's still a tac driver shooting factory ammo.

The only complaint and I shouldn't even mention it, the barrel does require a good cleaning after a 150 rounds. It's the only barrel I use JB on as my patch is tight the first 10 inches of the barrel. But it's still a shooter. I am use to my barrels only taking about 5 patches and your finished. Dennis

PS: I shot this gun in a F/TR match using factory ammo. It still holds one the highest scores I have ever shot in F/TR.
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]