Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zebra wood stock. Ready for the range. Final post.

sparky123321

Re: Bedding completed on the first zebra wood stock. More photos.

I completed the inletting of the trigger guard and trigger area today. I also did a little more shaping on the tang area. Not much left to go. I just need to do the cutout for the bolt handle, install a recoil pad and give it a final shaping and sanding. I plan to have it completed, including the finish, within the next week. Here are a few more photos. I won't be posting anything else until it's completed and ready to go to the range.

tinkerer

Re: Zebra wood stock. Trigger and trigger guard inlets completed. More photos.

OK, I give. Why no pillars during bedding?

Larry
    Tinkerer

sparky123321

I pour the pillars using steel epoxy. The pillars are around 1" in diameter. The pillars and the action bedding are one solid piece of steel epoxy. Very very strong and a nice tight fit.

sparky123321

Just going to hit it with a little bleach and then do a final sanding before I apply the polycrylic. I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. The pictures don't even do it justice.

Basic Member

Re: Had to post a few more photos before the finish goes on. Zebra wood stock.

just FABULOUS, you did a really good job.

Re: Had to post a few more photos before the finish goes on. Zebra wood stock.

Simply amazing!! nice job!

sparky123321

Re: Zebra wood stock. Done! Final photos! Thanks again for everyone’s encouragement.

Basic Member

Re: Zebra wood stock. Done! Final photos! Thanks again for everyone’s encouragement.

WOW!

Eric in NC

Tough stuff to work with. Did you find the smell pleasing?

You must be a great wood worker to get a stock out of zebra wood!

What finish did you use? Did you fill it all?

sparky123321

Zebra wood is definitely the toughest wood I've ever worked with. It beats the "you know what" out of bits and blades. I guess it's lucky I've had 3 sinus surgeries because the smell really didn't bother me too much. I didn't want it to amber or yellow anymore than necessary, so I used polycrylic instead of polyurethane. I didn't use any filler. I was very careful when I picked out the wood, laid out the patterns and made my cuts.

leatherlunger

I wish I was that handy, Incredible stock man.

Really nice! I have always had a soft spot for Zebra wood.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

thomae

Very nice work. You have the the patience, craftsmanship, (and the right tools and jigs, to be sure :D ) that have allowed you some impressive results. Congratulations.

Now you should install a suitable action and barrel, go on an African safari with that rifle and bag a trophy zebra with it. Mount the zebra with the rifle on your wall, and the circle will be complete.

If you were get your zebra amongst a stand of trees, there would be great headline potential: "Zebra wood Savage takes savage zebra in woods." or something similar. ;D

sparky123321

Re: Zebra wood stock. Ready for the range. Final post.

I made the recoil pad and cut and installed the action bolts today. That's it. It's all ready for the range. This was shooting 1/4 MOA and I expect it will do the same in this new stock.

Don't worry I have a better front rest to use at the range. Thanks again everyone. I really enjoyed all thecomments, suggestions and encouragement.

Incredible job!

Great thread, and posts on your part.

deerhunter85

Wow really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Carvera
    Incredible job!

+1

You did an outstanding job and it has been really neat to see it from start to finish.

All of your posts in this thread should be put into an article by the mods!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvera
    Incredible job!

+1

You did an outstanding job and it has been really neat to see it from start to finish.

All of your posts in this thread should be put into an article by the mods!
    Agreed! Thanks for for letting us follow along. That stocks a work or art!

Leonardo63

That is mighty purty! I've worked with zebra wood veneers and done a few projects with it. It's a really cool wood. Very nice craftsmanship! I'd almost wager that you might have the corner on the market if you offered that up.

Basic Member

Yea id buy one for sure!!! You did an awesome job!!!

sparky123321

Thanks savy22br. I appreciate your comments. Actually got to the range with it today for the first time with this stock. There were only 2 other guys there, but they were immediately drawn to the gun and wanted to know all about it. My brother and I both shot one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it.

Basic Member

Awesome how much to build me one for my model 12 full bull? Looks like a lot of work but im sure it was all worth it!!! If you decide to sell one let me know im 1st in line!!!

Team Savage

2nd that

drybean

I probably can't afford to get in line, but that's one of the prettiest rifles I have ever seen, and I'm old enough to have seen a few. :)
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

sparky123321

Thanks again everyone. I'm just so pleased with the way it came out and the way it shoots. It's like a magnet to anyone that sees it. Even my Wife, "The Old Bird", loves it. It spent a lot of time on her kitchen table and counter and she never complained about it. I have another one that's almost done and just needs to be finished up that I'll probably use for a MBR .223 I have in a factory stock.

The zebra wood and mill work alone cost right around $200. It's VERY tough wood so there's another $20-$40 in router bits and forstner bits. Sandpaper, glue, steel expoxy and polycrylic probably another $30-$40. I figure $300-$400 for labor(including inlet, bedding and finishing) and it all adds up quickly.

When I get some time I need to finish up the other zebra wood stock and a few other laminated stocks I have started. I've already got my eye on some really really cool exotic woods I saw at the specialty shop last time I was there. Of course I always seem to like the most expensive woods. They were dying to see the zebra wood stock when I finished it, so I have to head out there soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast