Thread: Forster sizing die

Luckus

Forster sizing die

I'm thinking about ordering the Forster Ultra full length 2 die set for my 6 Dasher project. Has anyone sent their sizing die to Forster to have the neck honed to needed OD and how has it worked for you? It should eliminate the need for an expander ball. Thanks, Luckus

Basic Member

Re: Forster sizing die

I have done it with my Forster 22BR and 6mmBR dies, actually set of 3 dies with different neck sizes for each cartridge, works great for me.

Luckus

b()()ga, How much or little runout have you found? Thanks, Luckus

Basic Member

Haven't checked run out, but have been getting excellent accuracy. The main purpose to was to be able to try different neck tensions and still full length re-size. Both are just varmint/target rifles with 14 twist Douglas barrels. I turn the necks for the 22 BR and the 6 BR is a no turn neck.

Mike

Basic Member

why not go with a neck bushing die you can change sizes all you want

Luckus

Frank1947, I have tried numerous bushing dies including Forster and just have not had any success with them. I always get more neck runout, and I think the chances for a donut are higher. I know many use them but I will try a different route. I Love the Lee collet die, and if my Forster honing job doesn't work right , I will probably have a custom collet die built. Thanks for the input, Luckus

Basic Member

I use all Redding type S dies, I have tested a Lee seating die against the type S die and found runout high with lee and none with redding, if the bullet doesnt go in straight then you will have high runout just as well as neck not being correct, I think seating plays a much bigger part.

Luckus

Frank1947, I have several Redding S dies and iirc runout up to .005. I have a Forster shoulder bump die for my 308 FTR rifle with bushing that I thought would be the answer. Runout with fired case 0, after running thru die .003. I removed the bushing and use LCD and Forster mic seater for runout of .001-000. This is what make handloading so interesting. Also use Redding T7 press, and wished I would have had it the day I started loading.

Basic Member

T7, manI sure could have used it today, had to take some 6mm br to 30br, in two steps .28 expander then to 30, turning the necks is the easy part. I been wanting a T7 for long time sure makes multi tasking easier, yes that forster mic seating die does a good job I have one for my 308 but I been useing it on my 30BR so I got a redding mic seating die for my 308 in place of the forster now that it is all adjusted in the press for the BR, glad you got that runout down usually it is a seating issue, best part is if you did not have a runout gage you would never know like so many who just grab a book and load and that is just fine to do but you mentioned FTR so it takes a whole lot more stuff to compete, I hope to shoot some F Class this year 600 yard at our place but I been so busy with this 30BR for VFS I hope to work on some loads for my F class gun 6BR and I just got a new Savage model 12 in a .260 shows alot of promise so far.

Luckus

Frank1947, All this loading and shooting keeps old guys out of the taverns and into something interesting and entertaining. If 1947 is your birth year, it's also mine. Best of luck and good shooting. Luckus

Basic Member

Luckus, yes 1947 is my birth year, yes all this shooting does keep me busy, I tell people this is my golf game , some retired guys golf, some fish, some stay drunk in taverns, we shoot, Right!

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    Luckus, yes 1947 is my birth year, yes all this shooting does keep me busy, I tell people this is my golf game , some retired guys golf, some fish, some stay drunk in taverns, we shoot, Right!
    +1, born in 46, retired and LOVE to shoot. I won't say no to a bit of Crown Royal once and a while on non-range/loading days.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Luckus

I enjoy a little whiskey and coke once in awhile too!

Basic Member

To funny all 3 of us same age like Crown (only thing my and wife will buy maybe every 6 months) and I chase it with coke.

Luckus

I like Crown, but I drink plain old Kesslers most of the time. I think it's called vitamin K.

Basic Member

he he, vitamin K huh, thats a good a name as any.
    today I think I will do nothing , yesterday I loaded and test my 30 br shot well had one 5 shot group at 200 yards under 1/4 moa, just under .23, I was happy with that, so then I deprimed sized and made some more 30br cases put them all in the ultrasonic cleaner, now drying, so its about time for a nap, retirement is tuff.

gotcha

Born in 1946 & 1947 and still "bottle fed". What's this younger generation coming to ??? Do you guys realize you were born in the 1st half of the last CENTURY ;D

Luckus

Sounds like that 30BR is a good one. What kind of barrel and action etc have you got there. I never thought of my age in those terms. I'll be 65 on 8-10 if I make it that far. I feel good and keep active. I snowshoed back to my hunting shack this afternoon in about 18" of fresh snow we got two days ago. Went this morning on snowmobiles with my buddy to his shack to clean his roof off. We got 20" plus on Wednesday, I plowed out with my Rhino, but thats the max for that rig. My wife and I are leaving for St, George, Utah area Wed or Thursday depending on the weather. Going to do some bumming and hope to call some coyotes. I hear they're dumber out west. Luckus

Quote Originally Posted by Luckus
    I like Crown, but I drink plain old Kesslers most of the time. I think it's called vitamin K.
    I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    Born in 1946 & 1947 and still "bottle fed". What's this younger generation coming to ??? Do you guys realize you were born in the 1st half of the last CENTURY ;D
    Go ahead Dale, try to make us feel older..............like you are!

Basic Member

Luckus, you wore me out talkin about walking in snow shoe's

Luckus

It wasn't a big hike, one third of a mile in and the same coming out. The return trip on your tracks is a LOT easier. Breaking trail is the tough part, but once you get it done, it's as easy as walkng on bare ground. I did have some vitamin K that night though.