Thread: Unwanted ejection...

Stagdag

Unwanted ejection...

Hey guys,
    I just got my Savage 10/GY back from an experienced friend who modified an adult-sized stock to fit it.
    Problem is, whenever I try to load it, as soon as I push the bolt forward, it "flips" the shell out of the action onto the ground.

Could this be because one of the "ears" are bent up (as he suggested) or because he might not have seated the mag spring right? The magplate currently dips "forward" (toward the action) when pressed on...but it's been so long since I fired my rifle that I can't recall which direction it is supposed to lean.

Pic:

I'm really not gun-savvy aside from being able to use them...IOW, I don't know how to fix them very well (I'm not a smith).
    Also I can't afford to pay a smith to look at it. This is why I had a trusted friend work on it. He is very good with firearms of all sorts. He also reloaded a couple of boxes of spent brass for me. He put his own scope on it to see how the accuracy was and it grouped 2-3" at 50 yards.

It's not the end of the world (I can still load it by pressing with my other hand on the shell, guiding it into the chamber) but it's a PITA.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give me, in advance:)
    Cheers,
    PMZ

ellobo

Re: Unwanted ejection...

If it wasnt doing that before this friend got ahold of it I would be suspicious. 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards is not accptable, something isnt right. The problem you speak of could be 2 things that come to my mind. Check to see that the extractor is in the bolt face and gripping the cartridige or, the lips of the magazine need some work. or both. 2-3 inch groups makes me wonder what this friend really did to that rifle. It should be shooting an inch or better at 100 yds.

El Lobo

Stagdag

Well I checked the target sticker he gave me and two rounds are within an inch and the third round is up in the right hand corner, might've been snatching problems.

I checked the ejector for damage, it is a bit rough around the edges but I guided a round into the chamber with my fingers over the action and then pulled it out, it works right well coming out, but it is still having issues feeding.

I also (before this) removed the barrel and action, and the mag spring seems to be in there OK. So I don't think it's that.
    My guess is it's a problem with the lips. But not sure how to fix that other than a strong tap w/a punch and mallet...

PMZ

Stagdag

Oh and IIRC I might have loaned this rifle to a kid from my church a year ago or so. Not sure if it was the Mossy or this one.
    But if it was this one it wouldn't surprise me to learn he effed it up.
    That'll teach me to loan out my guns
    PMZ

Basic Member

Does it eject like that no matter which side is next up? I have seen some that would act up when the next round was either on the left or right, but not both.

If it's only doing it when on the left (looking from butt to muzzle) then the right mag lip might need tweaking, if the right shell pops up then tweak the left mag lip.

Your "smith" friend might have tweaked them if he removed the mag for the stock swap. Does the amount of pressure needed to place the round in the magazine seem normal? Or does it seem too light or too heavy? Just curious.

Also, make sure the rounds are all the way back in the magazine.

For the pathetic grouping, I'd first remove the scope and make sure all the base screws are tight, and re-install the scope. If the groups still suck, then try another scope. The kid might have dropped it.