Thread: Savage Axis bolt issues

autonomousbydesign

Savage Axis bolt issues

Okay guys, I'm new here but I'm not exactly new to guns. Their bolts, however, I am new to. My Axis is two weeks old as of today, and after 50 rounds being put through it, I took the bolt out to show my friend how it worked and this happened.

It's stuck in the un-cocked position and won't go back in. I can't get the bolt handle off to fix it, and what happened to the front baffle? Can someone help a noob out? Thanks.

autonomousbydesign

Re: Savage Axis bolt issues

Basic Member

Push the cocking pin on the side back to recock.
    Some how you lost the ejector detent ball and probaly the spring.
    And the baffle is the part behind the bolthead, nothing wrong there I can see.
    Midway has the parts you need. (or should have)

autonomousbydesign

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    Push the cocking pin on the side back to recock.
    It won't move. That pin at the handle is what is keeping it from going into the gun.

Basic Member

Call savage, I've never heard anything bad abou their customer service. And they've helped me out once.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Basic Member

Hook the edge of the cocking piece pin on the edge of the work bench and push down and twist. Taking the bolt handle off will do you no good, because you have to de-cock it to do that anyway.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

82boy

Looking at the pictures, the bolt is decocked. (The cocking piece is at the lowest part, and the firing pin is prutruding out the bolt head.) There should not be any thing sticking out the back action screw, you should be able to place an allen wrench in the hole, and take the BAS off. If there still is something sticking out the back I would say the firing pin is broke. You dont need to take the handle off to re-cock it, just use the corner of a wood bench, and you should be able to recock it.

In the picture it looks at if the extractor was pushed to one side, alowing the ball bearing, and spring to exit. Maybe I am just seeing things, but it looks like the ejector pin, is beat up on the nose. Did you have a case head sepration, or an over pressure load?

I don't know how that happened to you extractor, but many of us have had the bolt de-cocking issue. I sent the bolt on my .223 back to savage and had it back working in 2 weeks I don't know what they did as the spring looks the same without taking it apart. I also could not get the bolt assembly screw to budge with just an allen wrench- i even attached a vice-grip on to the wrench and couldn't get it to work- i didn't want to try a vice- i figured best to send it in.

So far my .30-06 is going good at 50 rds. But i think my .223 had more than that through it before it started happening.

How do you guys get the BAS to come off? Do you use a vice and a bigger wrench or what???
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by farmer44mag
    How do you guys get the BAS to come off? Do you use a vice and a bigger wrench or what???
    place an allen wrench in it, lay it on the floor, and stand on it.

I'll have to give that a try if it happens on my '06.
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

autonomousbydesign

I managed to get the bolt handle loose and re-cocked the bolt. I ordered the extractor spring and bearing from Savage and am going to attempt to fix it myself. I still have the extractor, just no bearing. Found the spring in the bedroom floor.

Is this wise, to try to fix myself?

And as for an over-pressure load, no. I've only fired up to 180gr rounds through my -06.

thomae

Yes, it is easy. PM inbound.

Kaianuanu

Are you sure its not just the super stiff striker spring that you're not used to? I have done this a few times but i have to put on a pair of leather gloves and push the pin back with my thumb, w/ the gloves its still super hard and leaves my thumbtip a bit sore.