Thread: Savage Axis

bigkahuna1019

Savage Axis

I also just bought a Savage Axis in 25-06. Someone told me that I can get another barrel and a different bolt to make it a different caliber giving me 2 different rifles. Is this in any way true? I'd ike to get a 22-250 barrel and bolt if it is.

CJ in WY

Re: Savage Axis

Just a barrel will do if you dont mind long stroking the bolt. I converted my Axis over to 6.5-284 with just a barrel swap. Just for grins I loaded the mag with Sweede and 22-250 s just to se if they would cycle=They does!

Basic Member

It would be just about as cheap to buy another rifle in 22-250.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Kaianuanu

From what it sounds like, you want something to switch calibers quickly, and this is not really ideal for this purpose, to switch calibers, you would have to rebarrel it every time, this is not a fast process, this is the type of thing you get a gunsmith to do and it takes him a couple days. The savage barrel nut does help alot but you still have to sight in your scope every time, and test at the range to make sure your headspacing is right, and so on. Its not like you can go deer hunting w/ your 25-06, see a coyote, then switch the barrel and bolt in the stand and nail him w/ your 204, 22/250, or whatever predator cartridge. Maybe if you were looking to keep it in 25/06 for deer season, then change to 22/250 in the off season for coyotes and varmints, it could work fine for this. However, it could be possible that constantly interchanging parts could wear out tolerances and eat away at your savage accuracy (just a thought).