Thread: how long of a varmint contour for 110

Basic Member

how long of a varmint contour for 110

like it says how long of a varmint contour barrel can i go on my flat back 110 with out stressing the action 26? maybe 28 inch ? i'm trying to decide on my next biuld and want to go as long as possible for shooting 300-1000 yds

Re: how long of a varmint contour for 110

Why not 30".Won't hurt it anymore than the factory 30's.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

I've got two 116's that have been converted to large shank and I've got 28" varmint contours on both of them and they seem to be fine.

Basic Member

I have a 28" bull on my 112, and its doing fine.

82boy

Lets put it this way majority of Savage varmint barrels measure at 26 inches, if this is so then there must not be any problem with 26. I have used heavier contours than Savage varmint contour, with lenghts out past 28 inchs, and never had a problem. Savage places a heavier contour in a 30 inch long tube on their target actions, again must not be any problem. I would say you would be safe with any barrel that the barrel nut will still fit on, at 30 inches long.

Now onto the second part you dont need a long barrel to shoot long range. Most 600 and 1000 yard benchrest shooters only shoot long barrel because they want to set back and re-chamber them several times. My thought is whay not give the barrel its best chance right from the start, and make it close to optimal efficancy? If I re-chamber a barrel I will do it once, maybe twice after than the barrel is fairly toasted and doens't owe you a thing. My findins is a longer barrel is more of a hinderence than it helps, and manginfys problems.

Basic Member

my thinking was to get that extra fps the last match i shot 300 i saw and spoke with a few guys who had there barrel cut down to 20-24" and the lost of fps they resulted in more adjustment than i had to do to compensate for the wind. i have 30" bull on my target action now but the action it beefier than a 110 that is why i asked the question i'm thinking of a 26-28" varmint contour for this one in what caliber i'm not sure yet i have another post about that . i'm finding out that every cartridge has its pro's and cons .the worst part about it is i may give this gun to my son so he can have his own rifle to shoot instead of mine .lol

I had a 32" heavy barrel on my 338 Edge plus a muzzle brake after that. It was much thicker than a varmint.

I believe the countour was similar to a Peterbuilt truck axle. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

"I believe the countour was similar to a Peterbuilt truck axle. "

LOL. That's what I thought about my 28" ones and they are just the varmint contour. But they're large shank and taper straight off of the shank instead of the step down like a factory barrel so probably makes them heavier than even a factory barrel of the same length.