Thread: Ruskie ammo question

wiredgeorge

Ruskie ammo question

I just bought a 30-06 Savage 111. The cheapest ammo at Wallys is Federal at about $14.50 a box of 20. I can get Ruskie ammo; either Golden Bear at about $12 a box of 20 or Wolf Gold for about the same price; both are somewhat less expensive than the Federal. (BTW: My Wallys has three different grain Federal from about 145 gr to 180 gr) Anyway, the Golden Bear is steel covered with brass and the Wolf is actual brass cases. Will it do any harm to shoot this stuff? How about steel case 30-06? Be gentle; I don't use steel case in my AR15 or Su16 but then 223/5.56 is cheap anyway.

Basic Member

Re: Ruskie ammo question

If it were me, I would get the brass. For a few dollars more, you can get twenty pieces of 30-06 brass that you can reload.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Will it hurt, no. But I have only seen 1 instance where Wolf ammo has performed even at an acceptable level. Lets just say that Wolf always goes bang, but doesn't always hit where aimed. That's the nicest way I can put it.

My advice is spend the extra $2 and get the Federal for now and save the brass and start reloading later. Your wallet will thank you for it.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cgeorgemo

Are you going to be shooting your 30-06 a bunch?
    If like me you have a rifle that you are only using for a hunting rifle then the choice might need to come down to which of the ammo has a good bullet for harvesting game.
    If you reload the brass from the Federal is a nice bonus after a range session. However at the range where I typically go shooting, there are always brass cases that can be had just for picking them up off the ground.
    If you are just wanting some trigger time to get used to the weapon then any of it would be good for that.

I'd buy the Federals, all three weight's and see what shoot's the tightest.

Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

I've had the opportunity to shoot next to guys using Wolf. I usually learn a new curse word or two while there, too.

I like to stay with brand name quality stuff. Especially if it's going BANG! a few inches from my mug....

You want cheap(er) ammo..... Start reloading. You won't regret it. It's a whole new fun addiction.

Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member

I would also go with the Federal. Decent brass you can reload with later on, and I have seen several Savages that shoot the WalMart Federal stuff really well.