Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor on a varmint rifle

Tony in SC

Suppressor on a varmint rifle

Does anyone use a suppressor on their varmint rifle? I shoot a .223 and have never gotten more than one shot at coyotes. One of my buds has a silencer (old one that sounds like a .22 rimfire). I have seen him get two. Yesterday I had three nice yotes come up on my bait at 200yds and I got one shot off. Here in SC we can get one but It takes about five months. Just a wild thought,, Tony

thomae

Re: Suppressor on a varmint rifle

Unless you shoot subsonic ammo, you are still going to have the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier - a small sonic boom.

Tony, you can legal have them in the majority of states. Whether or not you can legally hunt with them is another issue.

The nice thing about hunting suppressed, is they can't locate the origin of the shot.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkker
    The nice thing about hunting suppressed, is they can't locate the origin of the shot.
    ... Which in some cases will allow you the chance for a second shot if you work the action quickly. They will still take off, but that split-second delay while they try to figure out where to run could be the difference between dog down and see ya next week. I use one hunting groundhogs and love it. It has more to do with not disturbing "the neighbors" than a chance at a second shot.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

Tony in SC

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh5317
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker
    ... Which in some cases will allow you the chance for a second shot if you work the action quickly. They will still take off, but that split-second delay while they try to figure out where to run could be the difference between dog down and see ya next week. I use one hunting groundhogs and love it. It has more to do with not disturbing "the neighbors" than a chance at a second shot.
    I know it's not going to make my .223 quiet but it will take the edge off the blast. Like I said the one my friend has sounds like a standard .22 rimfire or a little less. I've seen him shoot one coyote and the other one that was there didn't know which way to run. Thanks, Tony

Basic Member

I use one for coyotes for the last 2 seasons and don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Works pretty good in prairie dog towns too.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Tony in SC

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    I use one for coyotes for the last 2 seasons and don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Works pretty good in prairie dog towns too.
    How do I find the best(quietest) model?? Every dealer at the gun shows has the quietest one. I see on the internet some reduce noise by 36 db, that's pretty good. Any adivce on brands? Thanks, Tony

Basic Member

Quietest...? Unless you are shooting subsonic ammo, you won't see the benefit. Pick one. Ased on your application. I would presume that weight and length would be more important for your uses. Head over to Silencertalk.com and try not to get lost in the information soup. I have a YHM Phantom and am pleased with its performance.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

Basic Member

Hersh5317, i've been looking at the phantom as well but wondering about the weight hanging out there. Any thoughts or tips you can share about it?

Tony in SC

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh5317
    Quietest...? Unless you are shooting subsonic ammo, you won't see the benefit. Pick one. Ased on your application. I would presume that weight and length would be more important for your uses. Head over to Silencertalk.com and try not to get lost in the information soup. I have a YHM Phantom and am pleased with its performance.
    Thanks alot for the web site. Now if I can just get one before I get too old to pull the trigger > >. Thanks, Tony

davemuzz

Here in Pa. they are legal to hunt with. I'm currently in the process of obtaining one. I'm waiting for Savage to release the new Model 25 in 17 hornet and I will have my local Smitty thread the end of the barrel (and make me a cap as well) for the 17 hornet. I'm buying the Kestrel supressor. http://www.huntertownarms.com/kestrel22.php

I know where I hunt groundhogs in the summer these critters are very much "sound trained" and know when the crack of the shot is off.....if they are the one that is still breathing, they head underground for hours. So, in addition to fox hunting in the fall\winter, I should get some good use out of it in the summer.

Dave

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluealtered
    Hersh5317, i've been looking at the phantom as well but wondering about the weight hanging out there. Any thoughts or tips you can share about it?
    I don't hunt coyotes (yet), and have only used it on a 20" LTR and a 18" Hornet. Most of my shooting with it has been from stationary positions within a few hundred yards of my vehicle and proned out. Weight to me wasn't the main concern. Cost to function ratio was. My rifle was close to 11# loaded with the can attached. Balance the rifle by adding weight to the butt if you plan on shooting from any position where the front is not supported by a bipod or bags. It will be heavier, but you won't have to fight an overly muzzle heavy rifle. I am happy with the direct thread attachment. I have about 1k rounds through my can of various .223, 22H, and 5.7x28 with no sign of internal erosion. Longer barrels reduce the amount of damage the blast baffle takes because less unburnt powder is forced into it while still burning.

nuclabuyer

For a good supressor I would look at Wells Custom. [urlhttp://www.wellscustomguns.com/class-3---nfa-services.php][/url] I have one of the first ones that he made, and have never looked back. I contacted him about making me another one for a 338 caliber and he is going to work on a design and get back to me. Since he started making them he is getting a small group of followers and I am right in there. He is a small outfit and he cares a lot about his customers and will help how ever he can. There is a thread on snipershide right now about the his suppressors. One guy has compared to an AAC and notices no difference besides the one to his wallet. A 300mag capable suppressor is $450 as is a 223 cal. If you want him to customize it to a certain caliber I dont think he has a problem with it. He was going to put baffles in my 30cal for a 264 cal but decided to go with 308 and I am glad I did. If you are interested in suppressors, you might take a look at his website and give him a call.

Basic Member

I do.

pitsnipe

You did that dog a FAVOR!!!

Tony in SC

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat72
    I do.

GOOD LOOKING rig!!!! Which suppressor do you use? Tony

Basic Member

It’s an AAC Cyclone. The gun was made from spare parts. The scope is a cheap Luepold rifleman with Wal-Mart rings. The gun will shoot ½ MOA out to about 300 yards with $100 chrome lined barrel and a 40gr V-Max. I’ll be honest, I was shocked. The Cyclone is a 30cal suppressor, but it works great on sub calibers. In TN you can hunt with SBSs or suppressors, so I hunt with both. I have rarely shot without a suppressor in the last few years. I have several videos shooting supers and subs. All of them are cull deer and my video skills suck, but if ya’ll want to see what it’s like I could post some.

davemuzz

but if ya’ll want to see ...
    Ya'll???.....Oh yeah.....you did say Tennessee!!! HA!!....Just bustin your chops!! If you have video, post it. Would love to watch!!

Tony in SC

It’s an AAC Cyclone. The gun was made from spare parts. The scope is a cheap Luepold rifleman with Wal-Mart rings. The gun will shoot ½ MOA out to about 300 yards with $100 chrome lined barrel and a 40gr V-Max. I’ll be honest, I was shocked. The Cyclone is a 30cal suppressor, but it works great on sub calibers. In TN you can hunt with SBSs or suppressors, so I hunt with both. I have rarely shot without a suppressor in the last few years. I have several videos shooting supers and subs. All of them are cull deer and my video skills suck, but if ya’ll want to see what it’s like I could post some.
    I would like to see some videos. What kind of range do you get with subsonics. And I got more questions about that rifle too!! Thanks, Tony

Basic Member

This is a subsonic 75-80 yard shot in an open field. The rifle is a 308 Savage.

Same rifle and load. In TN you may shoot up to three does a day. The shots were in a hollow and the distance was 30 yards so the sound of the impact and the guns report occurred almost simultaneously.

Field shot at about 60 yards. Same load.

This is a AR 15 in 300 Blackout with a 10.5 inch barrel and a Cyclone. This was with a new weapon mounted camera I was testing. It sucks. The distance was 240 yard. You can't see much and the camera was never used again.

This is a 800 yards with supersonic with the Savage.

This is a high shoulder shot at about 60 yards. Savage with 168 A-Max @ 2660

Most of this was R/D for a friend that makes subsonic expanding bullets. I have tons of pics from the damage that the bullets did. I shot north of 40 deer in the last 3 years testing and fed 5 different families. Most were subs in the 30 cal and 458 cal.

davemuzz

;D Nice stuff!!! Thanks for the entertaining post A-C!! Some fine shooting there Bud!!! :D

Tony in SC

Cool videos!! Were all those shots with a 308? How far was the long shot on the white target? Tony

Basic Member

The steel target is or 800 yard target. The weapon mounted video with the semi trailers in it was a 300 Blackout. (AR, 10.5 barrel, Cyclone)
    This is the 308 @ 500 yards. It was about 20 that day and the target is a 2/3 or the kill zone of a IDPA target.

This is the 308

300 Blackout

Tony in SC

Nice rifles!! I wish this forum had PMs, there's alot of questions I would like to ask. Tony

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by Tony in SC
    Nice rifles!! I wish this forum had PMs, there's alot of questions I would like to ask. Tony
    Tony,
    PM's are part of this bulletin board. Since you are a paid member, click on the poster's name to the left of their post and their information will come up including a link that allows you to send them a personal message.

Feel free also to ask questions within in the forum (everyone else dies!) The rest of us may learn something from the your questions and answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast