Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 9.3x62 Euro model.

louielouie

Re: Savage 9.3x62 Euro model.

OK, this thread had been the first thing on my mind when the new Cabelas opened here in Marysville (north of Everett, Wa) and I saw one of these and I put it on layaway and now I have some questions:

Officejet - where did you find 220gr cast boolits? The lightest mold I've found is a 260gr GC design from NEI. Also, nobody makes gas checks for .366/9.3mm but on some boards they talk about crimping 375 - IF you can find a .366 sizing die or have it made.

Otherwise, Graf & Sons has Prvi brass & bullets for quite reasonable (I doubt I use this to drive tacks) which will wind up being cheaper I think than all the specialized casting equipment for it.

I'm pretty sure I'll be the coolest kid on my block either way...

officejet

Hello, The 220 gr bullets were purchased from a vendor on castboolits.com

There is also a group buy on that site for cast bullet molds that are designed to use a .375 gas check.

The Privi ammo is excellent. I have shot a lot of it in 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57R, 45 acp, 38 special, 9mm and 30-06.

If the rifle is capable, it will shoot MOA or better. In fact, in my Ruger No 1 light sporter in 7x57 with a 2-7 Leupold, the 175 Privi ammo is the most accurate in spite of fooling around with dozens of handloads. It will hold 5 in 1.25" or better.

This is the third 9.3 I own. Insofar as jackets bullets go, the 250 TSX and Accubond as well as the 270 Speer all shoot very well with 55 gr 3031.

Good shooting ! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie
    Otherwise, Graf & Sons has Prvi brass & bullets for quite reasonable (I doubt I use this to drive tacks) which will wind up being cheaper I think than all the specialized casting equipment for it.
    Don't sell the PRVI ammo short, my Husky in 9,3X62 shoots it very well and I've heard no complaints about it from other users either. PRVI is good stuff in my HO.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

louielouie

While I have plenty of '06 brass (maybe anneal them first) it's good to know I don't *have* to buy the Lapua stuff. I've been running Quick Load on a couple scenarios (285 Priv, 270gr Speer, 286 Hornady in order of price) and with Reloader 17 a good accuracy node for a 20" barrel still give 2300+ fps with less than max pressure. I'm sure that I won't fall asleep or stretch the cases too much.

Now for a really stoopid question: Is this a large or standard shank? I was too busy wiping drool to catch the finer points :-[

The Speer 270 grain bullet is a little soft, I suspect it was probably made with the 9.3X57 in mind. Reloader 15 works pretty well too. I think a small shank would be fine, that's the way I would go if I were building one, I don't know what the Euro model is though.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

officejet

The 270 Speer has fine sectional density and performs just fine on any lower 48 game with proper shot placement. I use the 250 TSX as I have never had one fail, regardless of caliber.

This is the Savage 116 Euro. It was made in 8x57 and 9.3x62. There were built to conform with some European countries rules on safety due to the popularity of driving game to shooters. They were intended only for "export" but a few "leaked" into the US market. As made only the stock was orange camo. I figured what the heck, if it's gonna be orange , it's gonna be orange so I bought a dip kit from Hydragraphics. It is a different "brand" of camo dip than the stock, hence the slightly different color. My only critique of the rifle is that Savage (according to them) uses the same follower spring for all their detachable magazine 30-06 length actions. As the action is a push feed, each round must be "popped up" to feed. In the 9.3x62, with a much heavier cartridge than say a 25-06 or 270, when the magazine spring is extended to push out the third round, it lacks enough power to raise the round and it tips and jams. Stretching the spring a bit has made it 50% reliable for magazine round three. The cure would be a stronger spring, but for now it's a failsafe three round rifle. You may note I used an inexpensive 2-7 Simmons on it as it was my first try at dipping. As with all Simmons I have ever used, they are an excellent value, never had one fail and IMO as good as many scopes cost 3X as much. They will also focus down to 25 yards as many non AO scope will not. I have only shot it @ 25 yards with the aformentioned cast bullts and 10 gr of Trail Boss. (all we have here is an indoor range). Loaded up 20 and shot them at the range yesterday (off hand).
    It works.

ellobo

Don't knock cast bullets. Millions of deer were taken with lead bullets. I used to load up .308 with Lyman cast bullets with gas checks, 250 grainers. using the lowest setting of charge listed and they shot MOA or sometimes better at 100 yds. I cast them hard and they never showed any lead in my model 70 Winchester. Cheap shooting. Wish I had the Winchester back. And my model 99 .308.

El Lobo

tatersalad
    I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to confirm that the 9.3x62 uses the same bolt head as the '06. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Pete

nsaqam
    Yes it does.

tatersalad
    Thanks nsaqam!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12