Thread: GPS recomendations ?

Basic Member

GPS recomendations ?

OK, we're heading to WY in Sept for our first DIY Pronghorn hunt.

I have a GPS for my truck but, I’ve never used a hand-held GPS for hiking/hunting. I've read some reviews and I know to avoid a monochromatic screen but, have learned little else useful. One person loves model X while someone else hates it.

I need to get a mid-entry level GPS. Someone fairly easy to use and reliable. Other than this hunt, I don't know that I'll use it that much so I'd like to stay under $200-$250 if that's possible.

I need to be able to put topo maps of the area we'll hunt on it but need it to remain fairly easy to use. For the most part, reasonably competent on the computer.

Any recommendations from what you're currently using ??

Re: GPS recomendations ?

My kids and i bought a Garmin Oregon 450 last summer and we love it. Very simple to use compaired to my old one. The screen is big and can be read in direct sunlight unlike a phone. The best feature it has that i would highly recomend no matter what model you buy is make sure it has a "tri-axis" compass. Basically what this means is you can be standing still for the compass to work , without this feature you have to be moving to get the compass to give you an accurate reading.

Garmin GPSMAP 62 (series) - the ST has preloaded topo maps.

Uses AA batteries (lithium will give better results) for about 20 hours run time.

Best, IMO, is no touch screen.

Starting price, without preloaded maps, can be around $300.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Here is what I did for my DIY pronghorn hunting trips!

I bought a Garmin etrex Legend HCX and a Wyoming PLAT4GPS map from Hunting Gps Maps http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

This combination along with a current BLM map works great and makes it much easier to know exactly where you are and the land status. Another plus with this combo is that there is no need to pay for preloaded maps you don't need.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member

If you have a Droid or I-phone, Backcountry Navigator is a cheap app you can download maps to run without needing to maintain cell phone service. Maybe not as nice as standalone gps but you cannot beat the price and convenience if you already have the right phone.

Also run ballistics apps too to account for changes in elevation, temperature, etc.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC
    If you have a Droid or I-phone, Backcountry Navigator is a cheap app you can download maps to run without needing to maintain cell phone service. Maybe not as nice as standalone gps but you cannot beat the price and convenience if you already have the right phone.

Also run ballistics apps too to account for changes in elevation, temperature, etc.
    Was thinkning about that but, i'm worrined that my battery won't last all day if i'm using it as a GPS.

Basic Member

I like my Oregon 450, my buddy likes his GPSMap 62. Frankly i could go with either. Both currently sell for 299 at REI where I purchased mine last year with a seemingly yearly rebate. I bought the basic model and downloaded free maps as needed from a site such as gpsfiledepot.com/. I also purchased a subscription to Birdseye Satellite Imagery, nuthin like overhead pictures when scouting new territory. It's amazing what you can do with these things.

Edited to ad - Dang, I didnt realize this thing was from April ::)

Basic Member

keeping our fingers crossed that we drew tags. The drawing was this week, hope to know soon.

CJ in WY

I bought a Garmin Rino thinking it would be great but my hunting partner bought the 450 Oregon. Good thing cause the more I used the Rino the more I disliked it=Not very user friendly IMHO. The 450 is more than enough GPS and easy enough to use but spendy for my needs.
    I just grab my Nuvi 350 out of my truck and use that as it is already chipped. The Nuvi is not waterproof and it dont take pictures but fits in my shirt pocket just fine, a ziplock bag keeps it dry.
    The Wyoming landowner chip is worth every penny!!

Also consider what type of "environment" you will be using it in. Touch screens seem really nice until they are covered in rain and you have to keep wiping it off, and changing your screen settings. I much prefer non-touch screens for GPS units I will be using on my motorcycle or handheld.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

1happyshooter

x2 for Oregon. Also the land status chip. It's much easier than a trespassing ticket.

slaroy

I worked at peddling these things along with other outdoor equipment for a number of years. The oregons are nice, but in your price range, and for what you do, there are a couple of good options. Garmin, made the e-trex series for a long time and only recently stopped making them, I would try to find one of the color e-trex like the Venture or Vista HCX. They are small/ lightweight, easy to use, fully waterproof,mapping capable, and are great on battery life. They will be pretty cheap too. You should be able to get the gps plus mapping software in a combo for your price max, $250 or even less. The only drawback is that they do have a small screen, sometimes the mapping is tough to read when "zoomed out".

YOu could spend a lot of $ on a newer model with some more bells and whistles, but the e-trex series will get it done.

Basic Member

Stop in at your local pawnshops for a GPS also. I found a garmin for $30 that was $200 new that I use for a backup.
    You can usually pick un one of the etrex units for under $50 and most will let you test it 1st.

Basic Member

good tip, thanks

Wife likes to use her I Pad for mapping and GPS