Thread: Need some barrel reviews

mugsie

Need some barrel reviews

I'm wanting to build another rifle or maybe just switch barrels on one I've already built. I've used Shileen barrels on my previous builds and they all shot fantastic, but my nature just won't allow me to use what works - I need to tinker. I've been reading a lot on this forum about Criterion and McGowen as well as Shileen. I have a lot of first hand experience using the Shileen, but none on any other barrels other than the Savage factory ones. So? What say ye? Let's hear some opinions on other barrels. How they hold up, ease of load development, breaking in period etc.

I will tell you one thing however, building Savage rifles is like eating potato chips - ya just can't stop at one!

airaddict

Re: Need some barrel reviews

Ive used mcgowan and er shaw. Mcgowan are hand lapped and are good quality for the money. Shot well and cleaned easy.

Er shaw are good for the money as well. A more afordable option to try diff calibers without dropping to much cash at one time. Especially if u get in on the group buys. They are not lapped but my 223 AI stopped coppering at around 30-50 rounds amd only had very slight traces of blue when i ran butches thru it or the copper eating foam.

Brian

calling4life

What... Did you bother to look at the threads above this... Discussing this exact issue on several aftermarket brands ::)

82boy

I have had just about every barrel you can think of. (Krieger, Bartline, Brux, Douglass, Criterion, McGowan, Shilen, Hart.) I find that they all shoot the same, no one is better than another. Barrel have their own personality, what happens in one may be different than what happens in another, To put it this way you can have two identical barrels made by the same maker, one made right after another, you can have them chambered by the same smith, with the same tooling on the same day, and good chances are they will behave entirely diferent. So how they hold up, load developement, and break in is just depending on the barrel. I have seen good in bad in all of them, it truly is a crap shoot gambiling trying to find a true hummer barrel.

I will say, that it is a common beliefe that cut rifled barrels will last longer than button rifled barrels, and they they have less fouling. I cant say one (button rifled VS cut rifled.) is more accurate than another, they will both shoot, Most competition shooters say that a cut rifled barrel is the only way to go. I will say tis I am in the process of building another competition short range IBS/NBRSA rifle and I chunked down the cash for a Brux, My last Brux was a pure hummer, and it just kicks butt and takes names. I just feel that brux makes one of the best barrels. Most people I will compeate against will be shooting Kriegers, a few harts, and a few Barlines, but I have more confidence with a Brux, and that is why I choose it over the rest.

Basic Member

To start with most of my stock Savage barrels will shoot 1/2 to 1/4 MOA.

I have two Pac Nor barrels, one in 6.5x47 and one in 22BR. The 6.5 shoots 1/2" at 200 yards. The 22BR shoots 1/4" at 200 yards.
    My new Benchmark barrel is being completed now. It will be a .284 Shehane. Yes, I have a Shilen in 6BR that shoots 1/2" at 200.

Good Luck!

Terry