Thread: Action Screw Torque - 12 LRP w/ HS Precision Stock

CaptNemo

Action Screw Torque - 12 LRP w/ HS Precision Stock

When I took the action loose from the stock, I loosened the screws with a beam type inch / lb. torque wrench, and the fasteners broke free at about 30 - 35 inch / lbs.
    What is the factory spec so that I can put it back where it was or correct the undertightening done during final assembly ?

Re: Action Screw Torque - 12 LRP w/ HS Precision Stock

Captain...

I have 2 LRPVs with the HS Precision and while "hard" to find, the information I have (and works - for me) is the following...

Torque the action screws from front to back at the following values:

[Front] ...then.... [Back]
    35 inch# 35 inch#
    40 inch# 40 inch#
    50 inch# 50 inch#
    60 inch# 60 inch#
    65 inch# 65 inch# <<< (this set is optional) >>>

HS Precision recommends 60 to 65 inch pounds torque. Savage will never tell you to go more than 25-30 inch pounds; that is their standard answer on all stocks (except for their Mark II / 93 series).

I have followed this procedure and it works (for me). I stop at 60 inch pounds.

There are folks who will suggest differing torque values front to back (and at around 45 inch pounds) to achieve optimum accuracy. I do not know if this applies to the HS Precision stocks as they have the AL bedding block. I may try it one day to see - but the LRPV is so accurate to begin with that I don't think I will be able to definatively say one way or the other...

The rear trigger gaurd screw does not have a torque value. I would not go beyond 25 inch pounds myself.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

hound53

try torquing the front 2 to 30 then start at 5 on the rear with a load that you know works and shoot a group, increase to 10 shoot a second group and continue up and pick the torque setting that works best for your gun. Thw way I see it , if the captain of the Savage F class team claims that torque values can have a effect then they probably do.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

If you are looking for that little bit more from your rifle, then please read a method that I have found that works for me. For those of you that are familiar with tuning a receiver (such as a match rimfire action), this article will be nothing new. For the rest of you, this might be new material. The goal here is to find the “sweet spot” for the rifle in relation to the torque settings used on the receiver screws. The proper torque settings [can vary] from rifle to rifle, but they will usually have a noticeable effect on consistent group sizes. A properly-torqued rifle will optimize the “harmonics” of the barreled action using the receiver screws so that the gun delivers peak consistency

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

Reasonable suggestion - but do keep in mind that there is a difference in the stocks mentioned.

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth
    Reasonable suggestion - but do keep in mind that there is a difference in the stocks mentioned.
    I am using a Choate Tactical http://www.tacticalworks.com/New-Cho...cal-Stock.html full aluminum bedding on my Savage 10 and action screw torque has a effect, same on my 22 rimfires. But don't take my word or the word of the guy who wrote that article find out for yourself. Or ask any rimfire bench rest or prone competitor. Aluminum bedding, fiberglass bedding, wood or tupperware stock it will have a effect on barrel harmonics

Again... I feel the suggestion is reasonable. It is important to note that - while some/many may report there is a difference, tht does not always translate into "better". Stocks absolutly make a difference, even when comparing similar designs. As you noted,it's harmonics. What you are attempting to do in any case is to take the harmonics out of the equation such that there is a uniform (IE repeatable) distribution of the enregy release. That can also occur when an action is equally torqued to values which "lock" the stock and actin into "one". Which is NOT o say that high torque applied equally is THE solution either. HS Precision puts a reat deal of testing and energy into building a great stock. I think they have at least a fair idea of what works well with their stocks...

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth
    Again... I feel the suggestion is reasonable. It is important to note that - while some/many may report there is a difference, tht does not always translate into "better". Stocks absolutly make a difference, even when comparing similar designs. As you noted,it's harmonics. What you are attempting to do in any case is to take the harmonics out of the equation such that there is a uniform (IE repeatable) distribution of the enregy release. That can also occur when an action is equally torqued to values which "lock" the stock and actin into "one". Which is NOT o say that high torque applied equally is THE solution either. HS Precision puts a reat deal of testing and energy into building a great stock. I think they have at least a fair idea of what works well with their stocks...
    what I am doing is getting the most precision possible out of my rifles. Action screw torquing has long been known by the rimfire shooters and I can promise you that the Olympic teams rifles are far more precision than anything that HS Precision sells. The man who taught me how to tune a rifle with action screw torque is unfortunately deceased, however he still holds several national records so I think he probably knew what he was doing.

Bottom line is this , those who are content with MOA accuracy need not worry about it, but if you are trying to get from .3 groups to .1 groups then play with it along with perfecting your reloads.

Yes... we are in agreement. I'm just pointing out that there does not necessarily have to be a difference in the torque values. I'd be willing to bet that neither you noryou world famous mentor had the opportunity to tune the Savage HS Precision stock, so one can't comment on what that particular stock may like (even from stock to stock you will find variation, although composites will have less variation than say wood or wood laminates). No one is saying you guys are wrong. I'm just pointing out where it is appropriate that "here" is my experience and that is backed up from the manufacturer. We'd alos have to agree that one MUST find that perfect load before you try tuning the stock. I'm sure 'll get ther sometime iwhtin the year and I'll definately mess around to see what I find. But I won't tell someone else that they will need to do that to get the proper torque. They will have to go through the same steps.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying and realize I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just giving the best advice I can within the boundries of the OPs post. I just want to point that out to him and others so they can make a good judgement for themselves and follow a succesful path on finding the best accuracy from their Savage.

All the best,

Jim