Thread: stevens upgrades

scott597

stevens upgrades

so, the tax check is on its way and want to do some upgrading of my stevens coyote rifle. I was thinking about an er shaw chrome moly varmint contour barrel (in .243 win.). then i will also need a new stock for the heavier barrel. What about a duramax? the stock has me a little stumped. i like the style of the medalist but like the price and color of the duramax. i have a rifle basix trigger on it's way as well. Will i need a new recoil lug for that barrel also? and maybe a new barrel nut? trying to do this without breaking the bank (the wife would like some things too!) or maybe just get the model 10 predator in mossy oak brush .22-250 i have been eyeballing!

29va

Re: stevens upgrades

Since you said coyote I wonder why you want a heavy barrel for a calling rifle? They get pretty heavy moving from stand to stand

hound53

If you go the upgrade route I would use a Criterion barrel from Northland which is a better barrel in my opinion than the Shaw. Then drop a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger in it and get a good wood stock from either Boyds or a composite

29va has a good point. Heavy barrels are favored by the P dog hunters and target guys because they don't heat up as fast a sporter barrel from rapid fire shooting. For coyotes it would just add weight. A sporter will be just as accurate for hunting and a lot easier to carry

scott597

thanks for the input. I too thought of the exra weight. maybe i will concentrate my efforts in other areas as you mentioned. The trigger for sure. i have a decent scope on it, a redfeild 4-12x40. i would like a little bigger obj. for picking them out at long range. i was thinking something in the up to 14 or 16 power with a 50mm obj. with a 30mm tube and an ill. reticle. i do quite a bit of night hunting for the yotes and the black crosshares are a little difficult in no light conditions. also looking at the "kill light" for the night hunts because now it's the old handheld spotlight. which if you and your partner aren't on the same thought path it can get a little hecktic. stock options for the stevens centerfeed are very limited with a sporter barrel. i did get a nice thumbhole laminate from stockys but that thing is heavy! a little too bulky for my likes in the feild also. thanks again for the suggestions

Basic Member

A good trigger and a good light on your gun will trump a barrel change ......... Give you more time to think about barrel contours and what you want to pack into the hinterland.

Three 44s

ellobo

I think Boyds thumbhole stock is made as a lightweight. Look up thier website and check it out.

El Lobo

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by scott597
    stock options for the stevens centerfeed are very limited with a sporter barrel. i did get a nice thumbhole laminate from stockys but that thing is heavy! a little too bulky for my likes in the feild also.
    Bell and Carlson Carbalite comes in a 4.27 screw distance for centerfeed 10's and 110's

try Stockys stocks, they were selling them for about 150

scott597

i have the 4.40 spacing on my action screws! choices=limited. does b&c make any type of syn. stock for these actions? with a sporter weight barrel?

You mean like this. Stevens centerfeed in a Boyds thumbhole, opened and fitted with DBM, criterrion (sp) heavy sporter 243 from Northlander that is nitrided, and a Nikon 4x12 BDC. Duracoat paint.

hunter2

How do you like the nitrided barrel? Shooting any faster?

In this barrel above it did not shoot faster. In my 243 wssm I had average 150-200 fps increase. Standard 243 was about a 50-75 fps decrease.

Basic Member

I got the CBI barrel in varmint contour on my Stevens and the extra couple of pounds wouldn't be too big of a problem to carry around. It's not like you are lugging around an M240 bravo. Thats just my 2 cents.