Thread: Muzzle Jump?

Josh Smith

Muzzle Jump?

Hello,

I've been playing with different types of rests for use with my heavy barreled Savage .22.

Even with a bipod and the heavy barrel, I still get a bit of jump, I would say about 1/4" to 1/2" at 50 yards.

I'd like to eliminate this.

The way I shoot is to let the front support (sandbag, bipod, etc) do the front supporting and use either a sock, fist or nothing in the rear.

Any which way, it jumps a bit.

I'm not a fan of porting or compensating.

I've thought about piling sandbags onto the front, but am trying to figure out how to do this without touching the barrel.

I could use help from benchrest shooters here.

Thanks,

Josh <><

82boy

Re: Muzzle Jump?

The rest set up you have just is not the best, I would get a rear bag, it will make a big difference. Protektor makes some nice bags, and if you have it shipped to a FFL they eat the shipping. http://www.protektormodel.com/

Anytime you shoot off of a bi-pod you need something under it to absorb the shock, like cardboard, carpet, or something like that. What happens is the force goes right don&#39;t the legs and into the concrete and cause the jump. MR F. uses a hard piece of foam rubber and it works great for him. Putting something under the bi-pod dampens the force coming down the legs, but it also allows the gun to recoil back, giving the feet of the rest something to slide on.

Josh Smith

Hello,

Below is the definition of the problem, better than I could word it. What I need to figure out is the solution, if there is one...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx
    when not set up with proper NPA even the small recoil of the .22 will make the cross-hairs &#39;jump&#39; off of the poa. (for me it is up and to the right) Adjusting your position and obtaining a good solid npa position eliminates this.
    I can even see the cross-hairs jump when dry-firing a centerfire if a solid npa position is not employed.
    THIS!!!!!

Thank you. This is what I&#39;ve been trying to get at.

Here&#39;s the deal: I want a cone in which I can be accurate - say 15 degrees on either side. I have no problem holding at NPoA when set up in controlled conditions - but if a squirrel were to go running and I should need to shift out of NPoA, well, I tend to shoot up and right a bit. I do not like this at all.

Maybe I&#39;m trying to achieve something that cannot be done. But I&#39;d like to think that, with work, I can at least improve upon it.

In other words, I need to be able to take a shot from a less-than-optimum body position if I don&#39;t have the time or room to move to NPoA.

Thanks!

Josh <><
    Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Bad Water Bill

I have shot with Pat. WOW Pay careful attention to what he says. See the 2008 Indiana Shoot out for pictures of what he and his friends can do.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...,14300.45.html
    These were 1K yard shots. Scroll to the bottom and you will see what I mean

If you live in the area join us next year.