Thread: Need help

Jwatson72091

Need help

Ok so I have a savage 112 fv in 223 and I'm wanting to get a new barrel in a different caliber like the 6.5 grindel. So my questions are how hard is it to do a barrel swap? Also with it being a internal magazine will it accept the 6.5 I know it works with AR mags but will it work for my gun?

Basic Member

Re: Need help

The barrel change is easy enough and the magazine will work with the grendal. You will have to change the bolt head and that is it.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Jwatson72091

Where will I get a new bolt head from savage?

Basic Member

I have mine coming from SSS. I am pretty sure you can't get it from savage unless you have a FFL but i could be wrong. You need the PPC or if you can get a factory one it is the 7.62x39 bolt head.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

bquillin

Midway sells them just type in savage bolt head in the search window , ordered one yesterday

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bquillin
    Midway sells them just type in savage bolt head in the search window , ordered one yesterday
    I bet a dollar to a donut it wasn't a PPC or 7.62x39 bolt head. All Midway carries is 223, 30-06, and magnum case head sizes.

bquillin

Will those not work for the 6.5??

Basic Member

the grendal is based on the ppc which ic based on the 220 russian and shares the same bolt head as the 7.62x39 which is an oddball size for most U.S. Shooters. I believe it is .429. I was on the road when i typed that. Home now and it is .444

The .473 (30-06) bolt head will work but is not the right size.

bquillin

Thanks for the info hope to learn something everyday

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.