Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 223 pet loads Lets see'em

Basic Member

Re: 223 pet loads Lets see'em

Yes sir it is I'm the black sheep of the family had a MARINE get me started reloading a few years back and well it's grown into quite the obsession..."um favorite past time" but I'll be danged if I've ever had a rifle give me this kind of fit before never in my wildest I've shot more 53vmax's trying to find a good load than anything else and I'm bout dun with it I have got to try a couple more things then it's on to bigger and better things a 52smk will kill a prairie dog just as dead as a vmax just aggravating!
    couple of savages

Basic Member

Don't feel bad. I've heard all the good stuff about that bullet and was never able to get it to shoot like many other 224 bullets. Sometimes you just need to write one off and keep moving.

but I'll be danged if I've ever had a rifle give me this kind of fit before never in my wildest I've shot more 53vmax's trying to find a good load than anything else and I'm bout dun with it I have got to try a couple more things then it's on to bigger and better things
    My 6.5x47L gave me similiar problems and I almost gave up! Then one day I tried a load, and within 2 more weeks, I had three loads that worked! I just had to find out what the gun wanted! RL15 was my 6.5x47 ticket! I almost wore the barrel out finding out what it wanted. One thing I wanted was to find a load for the 130 VLD Bergers! I never did, the gun flat out didn't like them in any way! I tried every primer, powder, COAL (.080 off to .020 in), etc., no luck.

FYI: I have my 223 53grn V-Max's loaded up on the table. I should try them out by Sunday, weather permitting!

I am shooting a Savage 9 twist BVSS! I will let you know!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

I briefly went over most of the prior 223 posts!

I have found in almost every case with A-Max's & V-Max's, they like to be "off" the lands a lot! I have two guns, this being the case with both.

I was shooting 178 A-Max's with my 308 a few weeks ago trying to find the guns favorite load. Several people I know are having good luck with them. I was either on the lands or off .010. Found a nice 1/2" group but noticed the ones backed off .010 were a little tighter.

I loaded up five more with the same charge and backed off .030. My 5 shot groups tighten up with the same powder load! Interesting!

I then loaded up some at .030, .050, & .080 off the lands! I shot two 5 shot tight clover leaf groups @ 100 yds .050 off being the key.

During the week, I loaded up 60 more rounds, .050 off the lands and went to the 600yd range! They were just as accurate @ 600yds! Inexpensive bullet to practice with at 600!

I know one person who backs off the lands .080 and his gun shoots awesome!

If the V-Max's don't work in your 223, try the Nossler Ballistic Tips! There devestating!

I haven't tried them in my 223, but in my 243 VLP using 55gr & 70grn NBT's, well they do some damage and are very accurate!

My 22-250 BVSS likes 55grn Varmit NBT's as well! Things just disappear in a cloud and they are "very" accurate! I had a hawk started hanging around the house all of a sudden. My pets didn't like this situation! I had my 22-250 dialed in with the 55NBT's. The hawk started leaving the power lines and landing on the fence. I couldn't let this go on! Unbelieveable what one 55grn bullet did to this hawk. My pets are happy again! I shot one about a year ago, same gun, 52gr Berger FB target bullet. Just put a nice hole in it, but did the job!

Basic Member

well i just got my hornady oal gauge. and done some checking to the lands with the bullets i have on hand. this is my figures to the rifling.

55nbt-2.972"
    53 vmax-2.870"
    52 smk-2.988"
    I had some 69smks in remington brass loaded for one of my sav-12's thats
    25-H4895
    rem brass
    seated at 2.275"oal shoots about 1/2" groups at 200 sometimes touching in the 1/4" size.
    my goal to get it to shoot lighter bullets for prairie dogs.
    best loads to date.
    25.7-H4895
    53vmax
    lc-11
    cci-400
    2.318"oal shot good once.....1/2" group@100

27-V
    lc-11/cci400
    53vmax
    2.269-1/2"...... once@100

22.5h322
    lc-11/cci400
    55nbt
    2.290"oal first 2 in the same hole last 3 in another hole 1/4" low and right ...once....

22.5H322
    lc-11/cci400
    53vmax 2.254"oal. first 3 in same hole next 2 verticle string up exactly bullet dia. apart so it looks like 3 shots verticaly.

I've got more i appoligize for the long thread and all guys. I just got done loading up some more to try again tomorrow if the weather holds up. Im with you Dennis, Im sure Jim's got a better barrel sitting on the shelf and i know they shoot! I guess im just too picky. I want a powder thats the most temp stable and a bullet that will blow up prairie dogs and kill coyotes multipurpose ammo.. Just when i think i have a load ill load 5 more and it goes from shooting 1/4" to 1" have checked so far. base screws, scope mounts, put new stock on and floated the tang, made sure no contact at barrel, just about over it but thats why we do what we do sometimes its frustrating. and yes Dennis the nbt 55gns are probably the 2nd most consistant bullet ive shot to date 69smk's being the first in this rig. it just likes them but i didnt personally know how they would do on a light prairie dog? so i thought lighter the bullet the better.
    Thank you all again so much for the input this row is a long one to hoe but itl be worth it in the end. (i hope)
    couple of savages

and yes Dennis the nbt 55gns are probably the 2nd most consistant bullet ive shot to date 69smk's being the first in this rig. it just likes them but i didnt personally know how they would do on a light prairie dog? so i thought lighter the bullet the better.
    The 55 and 70 NBT's, well usually you just see a reddish clould . . . The 69smk will do the job! I can't say it does the job like the NBT's will. I even perfer NBT's over V-Max's, but I won't hesitate to take both of them on a hunt!

I am also a firm believer on "shot placement". Any bullet put in the right place will do the job, and I am mainly referring to larger game. I wouldn't advise using A-Max's or NBT's on ferrel hogs! JMO, Barnes triple shock, not the most accurate round in my guns, but will hold a 1" group and will definetly do the job on a hog!

It's just with PD's, the NBT's and A-Max's are more fun!

In my 308, 110 Tap and 168 or 178 A-Max's are "fun" to play with! I have more luck with these bullets in my 30 cal vs NBT's, can't tell you why! Maybe I had instant luck with these bullets and never gave NBT's a chance in the 308's!

A hot 110 tap in the 308, well you just have to experience it!

For the record, on serious large game hunts, I use Berger Hunting Bullets, and Accu-Bonds. Hornady "A-Max's" in my opinion are good for larger game!

I know this is a 223 thread, and believe me, I like my 223 and use it a lot. My 223, 22-250, and 243 usually make the hunts. I have a BR, (heavy barrel)but mostly use it for match practice! I might one day take it on a hunt, just the three I mentioned (all heavy Varmit barrels), I have perfected loads that never fail me on hunts!

Basic Member

Well if the NBT's are that good ill probably just go that direction the 69smks I took last year didn't do what I hopes they are very hard easily ricochet and out on the longer ranges were just pokin holes so I was looking for something a lil more visually satisfying and just to the pd's after all the time they spend working on their acrobatics shame not to see them use it. :) I will go back to the 55's this weekend and see what happens if they work I'll order a bunch
    couple of savages

1Shot

...Nosler 50gr BT's would be better...They will vaporize a hedge ball...lol... The 55's have a thicker jacket but they will make an orange disappear.. ;D

...Nosler 50gr BT's would be better...They will vaporize a hedge ball...lol... The 55's have a thicker jacket but they will make an orange disappear..
    Their bad to the "bone"!

Basic Member

couple of savages

All your doing is changing your COAL a few thousandths? Same powder load, etc.

Basic Member

Yes sir went through first thing with all my 223's and done ladder tests with varget from 24-27 in .2 increments at 26.2,26.4,26.6 were all touching so I started from an oal of 2.318 long so there would be no pressure spike when I got to the lands so I went with 26.4 and started with 3shot groups and changing the seatin depth after I got my oal gauge and it seems I've found something worth loading up a few more of... It's been a cluster screw to say the least but if all else fails I'll run 55nbts
    couple of savages

This is hard to believe about .010 is making this much difference in your groups.

Am I correct on this?

The 69smk's were easy to tume on my 223.

I am going to have to try this when dialing in my 53 grn V-Max! I guess I am going to start around 26.4 and a COAL of 2.892

I know A-Max's and V-Max's are sensitive to seating, but not this critical!

Basic Member

Unless I've screwed something up (very possible) I have shot more bullets out of this gun with just the 53's than all of the rest of my 223's test loads so yea it's been and still is a freaking nightmare.
    couple of savages

[quote]Post 1 off your best targets with the 53's...Maybe I can help you walk it in.. ...Here's 1 of my 3/100 55gr NBT, 26.1gr Benchmark loads...[/quote]

1Shot, I am going to try this as I like NBT's! What is your COAL?

Dennis

1Shot

...I'm +.015 off the lands....On my 55 grainers...

This has been a very interesting thread! As stated, I love my 223. I am going to find the perfect load for V-Max's and NBT's!

Just for the record, I love my 22-250 and use it for longer range shots! It was simple to find a load it likes compared to the 223's! My 243 BVSS was simple and as stated recently, it love 55 and 70 grn NBT's!

For even more fun, my 308 loves 110 V-Max.

Next, I might find a load for my 338 Edge, light bullets!

Basic Member

Well my other 223's have never gave me any problems like this turd within a couple weeks id have them shooting tiny holes at 100 with a crapy rest and homade table now I belong to a range with concrete tables and all that jazz and cant get this gun to shoot I've got probably 30 targets if not more from
    Just this gun barrel looks like corrugated pipe like others have had problems with so idk I went out yesterday and shot about 1.5"-10shot group unexceptable to me. May have a sav-10 and a few thousand 53vjunks for sale here in the near future :/
    couple of savages

I am embarrased to post the picture below, but I was tierd when I got in yesterday and mark it wrong. It's marked right now if you can read through the scribble scratch. The first target was shot with 52gr Berger Flat Based, disregard, the next three are 53grn V-Max's. I used your last load except used RL 15, but used the same COAL! This seems to be the ticket for the 53 v-max's. I might load up 10 with Varget just to see if a difference shows up! Definetly going to drop .1 grns and add .1grn, and will change the COAL to see the differences! Looks like we should be close on our loads!

This is the first round of 53 V-Max's through my BVSS 223 9 twist with 26.4 RL 15. The first shot in the 1pm position was the first shot, almost like a foul shot, the other four were on! I believe I can easily tune this bullet in with my gun! The second picture shows two other groups .2 grns off. This is really the first time I have tune in a 223. I still can't believe how delicate they are. I shot some at 27.0 grns and they "WERE" definetly too hot! FYI

Any suggestions, let me know.

Dennis

Basic Member

Now that's the kind of groups I am looking for but sadly I have tried jump jam varget, H4895,H322 and shot roughly 350 of the. And going 1k miles and loading up 2k rounds per rifle I'm not taking something that *****y I want somethin that runs and I can load up 2k of them and not worry about wasting my time loading up "shelf" accuracy ammo. I gotta get some more loaded and gonna try the 50nbt and work up the 55nbt some more I want somethin to run not shoot 3 and then take a dump keep me posted Dennis on what you find on your rifle.
    couple of savages

1Shot

...Your 6br shoots like my little .221AL... ;D...Time to give the 53's the apple or orange test...

Basic Member

^jelous :-[ dennis for poops and gigs if you get a chance i see you're using rl15 and a wlr primer, primers i have not changed had a bunch of 400's so i wanted to stay with them if you have any 400's see what it does with them im just straight up bewildered.
    couple of savages

I have 400's, 450's, and remmy 7 1/2's!

I have plenty of WLR's and just starting using them and have very good luck with them.

I will try some 400's, I know it will make a difference as picky as these two guns are!

But are you saying you would be happy with my 26.4 RL15 loads?

Just wondering, as I was going to try getting the 223 53 V-Max's to shoot like my 6br!

Dennis

I might load up 10 with Varget just to see if a difference shows up! Definetly going to drop .1 grns and add .1grn, and will change the COAL to see the differences! Looks like we should be close on our loads!
    Going to try the same with RL15, drop .1 and add .1 with both powders, see what happens, then change primers!

Basic Member

Awesome man keep me updated I'd be happy to see groups like the ones your rl15 is laying down especially after almost 400 bullets and 1/2-3/4" groups are the good ones! Lol I'm glad to see that your coal changing is doing the same thing mine is so its not just me maybe supercopin up as team we'll find something that runs the way we want is that rl15 an extreme powder? Heard alot about reloader just haven't tried it
    couple of savages

Basic Member

well maybe not a pet load but perhaps a pet peve. called savage as to chatter marks in the barrel. savage says a sav-10 tact. should shoot 1" at 100 I asked the plesant lady on the phone.. how many rounds? umm.... 3or5 she says. ok so no sense in wasting good money chasing bad by sending it back on my dime and them saying its ok! so broke out the ol snap on bore scope today.... yea chatter marks from He!! and the chamber itself looks like crap.. so i guess its gonna take another barrel to fix this gun.. it takes roughly 24 hours to get the copper out of it after shooting no more than 35 rounds through it. using butches 50 cal and wipe out and accelerator. over it tent stake. lol
    couple of savages

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast