Thread: Cleaning

Grit #1

Cleaning

We have come across 3400 rds of mildly corrosive WW2 30 carbine ammo. The discussion is the proper method to clean after firing. I am maintaining that a wipe down with Sweet's 7.62 followed by wiping out with hot water, like black powder, followed by several patches to dry the bore, then several patches of T&M bore solvent followed by a good oil. Pipe cleaner the gas hole and clean the piston, cylinder, and op rod in like manner. I believe this would work. What do you all think or would do differently?
    Best regards,
    Grit

82boy

Re: Cleaning

I been told that the corrosive salts used in old primers are quickly nutralized by ammonia. When I shot military rifles we would clean them with a mixture of ammonia and water,right after firing them, and then do a full cleaning with solvent latter on, now that I been doing benchrest (And talked and watched other shooters.) I would just use straight ammonia. Sweets is full of ammonia, I think just use of it would be fine, and everything else is just overkill. If I had to do all that work, I think I would sell the ammo, and shoot moderen stuff.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

I believe 82Boy is correct. Sweets has a high ammonia content. Also, if you can get some janitorial strength ammonia. I think it's around 10 - 12%. Household ammonia is only 3-5% (if I'm remembering that correctly.... It's been a while)

I guess I need to ask this ---- Considering what can happen from corrosive primers & the extra cleaning that MUST be done, is it worth the low cost of the ammo?
    I've talked with a couple old timers at the local shop & was told stay away from it. Way too much trouble.
    Corrosive primers can damage things that may be difficult or almost impossible to replace

Is this true or were they BSing me?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Grit #1

Hey look at all the carbines, Thompsons, Johnsons, Springfield, Garands, BARs, US model 1917s, etc. that that are out there today all have had this ammo fired through them, many under battle field conditions, and most shoot really really well. I have a Remington 1917 that I win Vintage matches with. The gun is 90 years old!!. I don't by the " It will ruin your rifle" line. I believe they have to be cleaned properly after use.
    Best regards,
    Grit

Eric in NC

There is no such thing as corrosive M1 Carbine ammo IF it is USGI. US factories turned out non corrosive carbine ammo from the beginning.

There is some Chinese stuff around with fake US headstamps that is corrosive and some French and other stuff as well.

What is the packaging? What are the headstamps?

You don't want to take down a carbines gas system on a regular basis - will not last if you do that (that is why they used non-corrosive ammo).

BTW - "mildly corrosive" is like "mildly pregnant"!

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Grit #1
    Hey look at all the carbines, Thompsons, Johnsons, Springfield, Garands, BARs, US model 1917s, etc. that that are out there today all have had this ammo fired through them, many under battle field conditions, and most shoot really really well.Grit
    I could not agree more. I woud add look at all the suplus rifles that are still around and still in shootable condition. Not only US but you also have all the Mausers, all the Russian stuff,( 91/30 etc.) and japanise, and from everywhere else. if this stuff was so dang corrisive, these guns would have been destroyed by shooting years ago. Something else to remember is most military rifles have chrome lined barrels, because of the corrisive stuff, and battelfield conditions. With that all said I would shot it but I would not go to all the pain staking detail in cleaning that you have been doing. I would be willing to bet that gun was fired with corrisive ammo in the past, and was not properly cleaned, and it has lasted around 70 years. Just wipe the barrel down with some amonia cleaner, and wipe the outside down with some CLP and call it good.

Eric in NC

I agree - I shoot corrosive ammo all the time in my Garands, Mosins, Mausers etc. BUT - LOTS of battle used (not cleaned properly) rifles did get trashed bores. That is why of the 4 million plus Garands made, almost all of them have replacement barrels on them now and the importance of cleaning thouroughly is why tons of Mosins and Mausers have counterbored muzzles (cause the troops SAWED those clening rods in and out).

No chrome lined barrels in WW2 either.

But as I said - the M1 Carbine was intended from the begining to use non-corrosive ammo (you can't easily take the gas system down and it isn't made of stainless like a Garand's so it won't withstand corrosive ammo) and all US made ammo for it is indeed non-corrosive.

Bamboolongbow

Windex. I was told by a friend that he cleans or flushes his bore with Windex after firing corrosive ammo.