Thread: Does Savage still make the striker?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    scnewt

Does Savage still make the striker?

I'm looking for a pistol to deer hunt with since I was scope eyed twice this past season due to the short range they were when I shot. I'd like a new one and here are my options.
    Savage Striker, TC Encore pistol, or a Ruger Redhawk.

I'm open to other ideas as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Re: Does Savage still make the striker?

To my knowledge Savage has not made the striker for a few years now, however you can still get there from here. If you seriously want a striker, you can build one. Just get a dealer to order you an Undesignated Action and put one together. It will be a rear grip striker, but should have a similar feel as an Encore or Contender.

204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

tinkerer

I have been told you can speical order one from Savage, don't know for sure.

Check on GB for current for sale. Still a lot in circulation.

Larry
    Tinkerer

1jonzmith

GB has the best prices and is great to deal with.

The advantage of getting an undesignated Target action from Jim is that the action is the big "shank" and everything is SS. The Accutriger is the Target variety and mine broke at 1pound and 4 oz. Perfect!

My barrel will be a BenchMark in 6mmBR Norma.

Stock will be a cut down Boyds.

Time will tell.

This is not the cheapest way to go but is the only way to get the barrel you want and chambered with your own reamer.

tyler.woodard04

what do you mean you were scope eyed because the deer were close?

scnewt

I was in a box blind 10 feet of the ground and had to shoot off of a rail. The angle was so steep with the deer only being 15 yards away. I had about 2 inches of stock on my shoulder and with a 270wsm, I can't help it. I knew what was going to happen before I shot but I wanted the deer that bad! :D I'm wanting to get a pistol to kill out to a max of 50 yards and carry it as a side arm while hunting, this way I won't run into this circumstance again.

I like the Idea of building a Striker but that could get expensive compared to what I could get a used one for or the price of a Ruger Redhawk. Honestly, if I end up spending $1000 on a hunting pistol I think I would rather take that money to the local gunshop, where there is a used 500 S&W for $1000. All I really need is iron sights for the range I will be using it at.

You can get a Contender or an Encore a lot cheaper than that, although the Savage would be the one I would want if money wasn't a problem.

scnewt

Would I have an undesignated action if I sanded the serial # off of one of my rifles? :D

scnewt

Wait a second, I just had a thought. Does anyone make a folding stock for a Savage rifle? If there is one, I would not have to buy a new action. Instead I could simply fold the stock when needed and shoot it as a pistol, I guess it would need a 16" barrel though.

bquillin

I have a striker in 270 wsm bought for an area were handgun shotgun slug or muzzleloader was all you could use it is a great gun shoots moa out to 300yds it is a little big for a side arm but it would do the job short and midrange.

scnewt

Re: Re: Does Savage still make the striker?

How is the recoil on the 270wsm Striker? I'm convinced that this is the ultimate caliber for deer and I love the way they shoot.

tyler.woodard04

Quote Originally Posted by scnewt
    Would I have an undesignated action if I sanded the serial # off of one of my rifles? :D
    Not even funny to say.
    Wait a second, I just had a thought. Does anyone make a folding stock for a Savage rifle? If there is one, I would not have to buy a new action. Instead I could simply fold the stock when needed and shoot it as a pistol, I guess it would need a 16" barrel though.
    your barrel needs to be over 16 and overall lenght over 26 because it needs to stay a rifle. Folding stock is fine but its still a rifle. Can not make it into a handgun.

tyler.woodard04

Also without a brake scope eye is still going to happen with a rifle scope. If 50 yards is your max get a single action ruger ib 44 and you will be fine to double that ranger

Chote makes a folder. shotgun scopes have more eye relief if you can work with the low power range. 17" should keep you legal.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

scnewt

Re: Re: Does Savage still make the striker?

I'm thinking now that I will go with a savage if the price is right. Otherwise I will get a 44 mag.

Thanks guys!

Otherwise I will get a 44 mag.
    Elmer agrees. .44 mag .44 special and .44 russian all interchange for practice. 500 S&W is to much if you are not used to handguns
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Nothing wrong with the good ol' 44 Magnum. All of my pistol deer kills have been with a 44. My new favorite is my Taurus Model 44 in Polished Stainless.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Eric in NC

357 and 45 Colt will also work just fine at those ranges - especially if you hand load.

Jody777

I live in Delaware, you can only use shotguns, or straight wall pistol cartridges. I've used 357mag, 44mag, and the best so far 460 S&W with 8 3/8" barrel. With a 200 gr FTX @ 2200 fps. With a Leupold 2 1/2X8 scope I get less than 2" 100yd groups. Recoil seems less than 44mag S&W 629, and I killed a deer at 20yds. and 226yds this past season. Both one shot kills. For a practice load 460 brass a 270 gr lead bullet and Trail boss which is about a 45 LC load, still plenty accurate. Only gun I know that will do this. I know hunters use single shots, but I like to know I have a second shot if needed, and yes I have a Rem XP100 in 6BR that is great if I could use it in Delaware, but I still prefer the 460.

I'm wanting to get a pistol to kill out to a max of 50 yards and carry it as a side arm while hunting, this way I won't run into this circumstance again.
    For this kinda range, the Ruger SRH or a SBH would be a much better choice than either of the others. Maybe an Encore but for 50 yard shots a revolver is hard to beat. I hunt with all three mentioned.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member

With the way things are today I would be very careful in saying about filing the serial numbers off an action wven in a joke, Beside even if you file the serial number off they have an acid that will show what the serial number was.
    Question where can home made stocks for strikers be obtained? Model 12 target action, Heavy shilen barrel. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Basic Member

stocks for strikers be obtained? Model 12 target action, Heavy shilen barrel.

Center Shot Rifles have 358hammer's stocks, Joe Russo has new ones on his web site, some of the members on Specialty Pistols just ordered a group buy of McMillans, and there is another vendor on that site, check the banner ads. Here are a couple nice ones for that action: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,48632.0.html

I am still sanding away on a "home made" one, the next try is a boyds thumbhole cut down.

tinkerer

Ourway,

If you have a left hand Model 12 action in the 4.275 bolt spacing, Blueavenger found that the Choate Ultimate Varmiint stock cut down works great, and already has the aluminum bedding block built in. This is speaking of rear trigger only. I even know where one is if you need it.

Mid trigger there are several sources of stocks available.

Larry
    Tinkerer