Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much PSI could cause this?

stangfish

Re: How much PSI could cause this?

Thanks for elaborating gentlemen. That info might save my or someone elses extremities or life on day.

ellobo

There is nothing wrong with shooting cast bullets if you use your head for something besides a hatrack.. I have fired hndreds if not thousands of cast bulllets from a .308 using proper powders and min loading data from the manuals. I hard cast the bullets (using linotype metal or solder in the lead) lube and size them with gas checks. I have never had a problem with leading but then again I wasnt using a Savage with a rough barrel so with a Savage act accordingly. I never saw a sign of high pressure and some powders gave phenomonal accuracy out of My Winchester Model 70. Light recoil is good for kids and ladies as they are cheap and you can get a lot of practice for little money. By the way. The most accurate bullets I have cast came from wheel wgts that most garages will give you free.

El Lobo

RustyW

Here's a link if you want to read some more disscusion about SEE. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138177
    I don't blame the cast bullets for the bad experiance. I've been shooting cast for way to many years to blame them. It's a combination that didn't work out. I don't blame the powder either, it just wasn't the correct choice for this application & luckily I came out unscathed. I've been handloading for nearly 28 years, casting my own bullets for the last 5/6 years. Shot thousands of rounds both reduced & full power loads and have never had this sort of thing happen. I've never used Blue Dot in anything other than 44mag either. Trailboss, Unique, & 2400 is what I've always used for reduced/cast loads in rifle's and all has been good. One thing I have learned is Blue Dot & reduced loads don't go well together.

Basic Member

I have read about SEE, but never seen anything like that. Very glad you are OK!

That "phenominaly high rate" is actually an explosion. The rate of the burn/expansion determines if it is a low explosive or high explosive.
    More shooting, less typing.

airaddict

This is all very interesting cuz ive never heard of SEE at all but i have never loaded cast for rifle....yet. Only handgun. Gives me lots to consider when i do decide to tiptoe into it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by airaddict
    This is all very interesting cuz ive never heard of SEE at all but i have never loaded cast for rifle....yet. Only handgun. Gives me lots to consider when i do decide to tiptoe into it.

Brian
    Use proper powder your setup and follow the books and you will be fine.
    More shooting, less typing.

hound53

never used any blue dot but that sure looks like more than 8 grains in the picture of the pan. Might just be the camera angle. Anyway glad you are ok, I double charged a .45 ACP a while back, other than cracking a grip , damaging the magazine and ruining a good pair of boxer shorts I was ok but the incident made me come off the wallet to buy a powder cop die for my progressive.

Basic Member

I have read of/seen this same thing happeniing a lot with the 25/06 and light loads in several other calibers, using jacketed bullets in articles and books by PO Ackley. What happens , he thought, is that the gas/fumes present with any type of smokeless powder ignites first, and the powder in these light loads that is lying underneath ingites secondary when the primer is fired. The ignition of the powder gasses pushes the bullet into the bore so far, then the powder ignites/detonates and the bullet acts like a plug in your barrel or obstruction like mud or debri. A buddy of mine, a 25/06 lover did not believe this, and tried it in his 98 mauser 25/06, custom job, and warped the action, cracked the lugs, had to drive the bolt handle open with a hammer,completley wrecked the rifle. PO stated that the 25/06 was worst caliber for this to happen. Just chiming in, makes sense to me though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.