Thread: Mark II GXP newb questions

arcticrobot

Mark II GXP newb questions

Hi guys.
    Decided to get into the shooting sport and looking at Dick's Sporting Goods budget offering: Savage Mark II GXP rifle. It looks like it does not have accutrigger and heavy barrel and equipped with 4x32 entry level scope.
    I know about accutrigger benefits, but what about not having heavy barrel? Is it really important for .22lr to have heavy barrel and would it significantly change the accuracy? I'm planning to use it as my training rifle and eventually build something heavier with .223 or .308 caliber.
    Sorry, if it is a double post, I've searched forums and couldn't see much info about GXP package.
    Thank you very much.

Basic Member

Re: Mark II GXP newb questions

I use my Mark II as a plinking, hunting and training rifle. Accutrigger, standard barrel with an inexpensive 4x scope.

I might hold out for a accutrigger model, a better trigger generally means better accuracy.

Jeff

arcticrobot

Later if I see I really like the sport I might upgrade the trigger. Is there a way to order accutrigger direct from Savage or my option is only aftermarket?

thomae

Look around for a used accutrigger rifle. They are available. I bought a Heavy barrel wood stocked one for less than $200. Here's one I just saw and thought of you. It doesn't say bull barrel, so I presume it is a sporter weight. However, at $125 it is a good price, I believe.

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/16...-308-22-a.html

arcticrobot

Re: Re: Mark II GXP newb questions

Thank you so much, but I already pulled the plug and got gxp. IM at the point when I just need to learn how to handle and service a weapon before bothering about hardware improvements. This little rifle will suit me for the first year and then I will realize what I need with it, upgrade it and get additional bigger rifle. Same way I did with my mountain bikes8)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk