Thread: question on differences between Model 12 and Model 16

GPM

question on differences between Model 12 and Model 16

Hi all,

Working on building my 1st rifle, and I'm looking for a stainless steel action as the base. Can someone help clarify the difference between the Model 12 and Model 16? Also, do all the current rifles have a DBM?

I'm looking through the threads and the Savage catalog, and it's still a bit fuzzy to me. My plan was to pick up a Model 12 action and use that as my base for a 7mm-08 build. Given how easy it is (I hear?) to replace barrels, I would then pick up barrels and bolt heads to fill out my collection.

However, I just saw an ad for a brand new 16FXP3 in 7WSM for $430 - delivered. I think it's time-sensitive, so I may not have much time to research. If the Model 16 action has the same features as the Model 12, then why wouldn't I just pick up the rifle, and use the action as the basis for my 7mm-08 build? That seems to compare fairly nicely to the $369 price for a Model 12 action - solo.

Any insight into the different actions, and build issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GPM

P.S. Comments - would the paid member subscription be worth it in my situation, to access the classifieds? Just wondering.

Basic Member

Re: question on differences between Model 12 and Model 16

The only difference between a model 12 action and a model 16 is the accutrigger.
    If I remember correctly, the M12 trigger will go down to 1-1/2lb and the M16 will only go down to 2-1/2 or 3 lb.

DBM is an option on most of the models, but blind mag is still pretty much standard.

The 7MM WSM action would not be the best for your 7-08 build. It is a large shank CRF action. To make it work, you would have to change the bolt head, magazine box and remove the standing ejector. Also, you would have to order an aftermarket barrel in large shank.

A far better choice would be to keep your eyes open for a 22-250/243/308 rifle. With that as your starting point, you would only need to swap out the barrel and you would be good to go.

Yes, the $12 would be well worth your investment. It will save you a lot of money, in the same way your wife is saving money while she is out shopping today!
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

The $12 is worth it but then lock up your wallet.
    Go to the vendors if you can and the Northlanders shooters supply he can fix you up with whatever you want to do, either action or complete rifle give a look.
    If you can't get in here is his # 1-763-682-4296 his name is Jim Briggs he is very personal and will set you on the right path.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

jwolf

If you don't buy the 7mm WSM do you mind saying where it is for sell from. I gave $450 plus tax for mine and thought that was a steal. I might want to buy another.

82boy

A model 12 can have either blued or stainless actions. a 12fv will be blued, a 12bvss will be stainless.

GPM

BrentWin,

Thanks for the response, that is tremendously helpful. I've spoken with Jim, he was really knowledgeable to speak with; I have no doubt I'll be buying some stuff from him in the future. However, it's a holiday and though I left him a message, I really don't expect to hear from him till next week. If this was a good deal, I wanted to move quickly.

So if I understand you right, the modularity of the Savage is actually based on at least 2 elements; either a long-action or short action, and either a small shank or a large shank. Can you tell me if my summary below is correct, and if not, point me in the right direction?

It sounds as if I have similar cartridges that match both those dimensions (e.g. short action, small shank), then changing out barrels between the two is very simple. So to switch between the .260, .308, 7mm08, .243, 22-250, etc., all I need is a barrel and bolt head (along with some tools.)

If I need to switch between calibers that have short actions but a small/large shank, it's more complicated. The larger shanks are for heavier calibers(?), so I need to change out the mag box, ejector, and bolt head. Plus, I need an aftermarket barrel with a larger shank.

A couple of questions, for those who are still here:

1. What exactly is the shank dimension, and what does it do? I'm not sure why this leads to a different size barrel.

2. Is switching the springs on the Accu-trigger easy? Are the parts readily available? I'd want to use a lighter spring for some target work.

3. Why is the classifieds a good deal? I don't understand why a vendor would post good deals behind a subscription price, instead of simply putting it out there to as many readers as possible. Wouldn't that decrease their selling price (which would, of course, be good for us subscribers?).

Finally, JWOLF, sure, I'll let you know. Hopefully, you don't buy the last 1 out from under me if I decide to go that route!

Here's the direct link.

Savage 16FXP3, 7mmWSM, $430 delivered:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...sort/5a/page/4

As an aside, if you don't want the scope, I just saw a 16FHSS in 7mmWSM for $419. It's 1 page before the one I linked.

Good luck, and thanks to all for the education and help...

jwolf

Thanks for the heads up. Bud's is where I bought mine at but at their retail store in Paris, Ky. I will have to pay sales tax since I live in KY. You might keep in mind that if you by the hinged floor plate model it's harder to find a good stock for it. Mine was blind mag & I put a B&C Medalist on it. It looks goofy now with the small barrel on it, but my varmint contour from Shilen should be here sometime in Feb or Mar.

GPM

Jwolf,

Wow, there are just all sorts of little things that I hadn't realized. So B&C did not have any of the Medallist in a hinged-plate option? I guess that's something else that I hadn't thought about.

Are the DBM magazine rifles also difficult to stock? Do you know how much heavier than a standard action it is?

Basic Member

I'm still new at this Savage stuff but I'll tackle your question on shank choices and just touch on the magazine box question.

The Short magnums and Ultra magnums of current manufacture in Savages utilize the Large Shank barrels .... you may be able to find the actual sizes in the FAQ section near the top of the home page of this web site.

As for magazines, there is stagger feed and center feed ........ and you may well find box and follower differences between say a .22-250 and a .243 .... but between a .243, .260 or other '08 based cartridges ..... no difference.

Now I believe that Savage target actions are large shank ...... and if that's true ... then if you could buy a target barrel from one of those you could have a standard chambering (non WSM or Ultra) in a Savage barrel. The contour would not be conducive to a sporter rifle ..........

You'll have to check on that last paragraph! ;D

Enjoy your Savage oddessy!

Three 44s

ellobo

I think you would be bet served by waiting for Jim Briggs to contact you. And if you want to do barrel swapping your best bet is stay with the small shank action. Jim can get you an action for less money than buying that model 16 and from there the sky is the limit on aftermarket goodies. As for triggers, go with one from SharpShooterSupply, also a vendor here. its the best out there. Talk to Jim and he will give you all the infomation and stuff you need with the exception of the trigger. Good luck.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by GPM

1. What exactly is the shank dimension, and what does it do? I'm not sure why this leads to a different size barrel.

2. Is switching the springs on the Accu-trigger easy? Are the parts readily available? I'd want to use a lighter spring for some target work.

3. Why is the classifieds a good deal? I don't understand why a vendor would post good deals behind a subscription price, instead of simply putting it out there to as many readers as possible. Wouldn't that decrease their selling price (which would, of course, be good for us subscribers?).
    1. The shank dimension is the diameter of the threaded shank on the barrel, it screws into the front of the action.

2. I guess that depends on how mechanically inclined you are but I wouldn't call it hard, I don't know about the availability but for serious target work I would not want an Accu-Trigger.

3. You get more than access to the classifieds with a paid membership, you can also access personal profiles and all the good technical stuff. The member classified section is THE place for screaming deals on all the stuff us junkies bolt to our rifles. Many times you can pick up hard to find parts on there also, of course the flip side to that is that serious damage can be done to the checkbook, credit card etc. but what the heck it's only money and you can't take it with you right!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!