Thread: Rethreaded Barrels

jeepmann1

Rethreaded Barrels

Can a Remington 700 barrel be re-threaded to fit a small shank Savage action?

nsaqam

Re: Rethreaded Barrels

Only if there is enough shank to machine a new tenon after the original tenon is cut off.

This would of course mean a complete rechambering.

Team Savage

What is the dimension that you need to thread a barrel for a Savage small shank? I am looking for the length and diameter.

Bill

done a couple, but they were Hart and Douglas, making it worth the expense.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf
    What is the dimension that you need to thread a barrel for a Savage small shank? I am looking for the length and diameter.

Bill
    1.050-20TPI
    1.350 length of threads.

This is with the thread major diameter continuing beyond the threads. If you are doing a barrel nut delete you woud need to calculate in the thickness of your recoil lug and the depth the barrel needs to be threaded into the reciever. I am thinking a depth mic would be useful but the dificulty is allowing for the torque of the barrel and the lost thounsandths here and there. I have always thought of having the lug ground to make the headspace correct would be the easiest for the home gunsmith. What...? I am rambling again?

I've done a bunch.

It's easy to cut the remington tennon off and turn and thread the shoulder down to fit a Savage small shank.

Remington factory barrels are tougher to get nice threads. I suspect it is due to the hammer forging. I also don't feel that the work done on a factory Rem barrel is worth the time since you still end up with a factory barrel.

I've also done a few custom barrels that have turned out very good. I've done Hart, Krieger, Douglas, and a couple Shilen. I picked most of them up from shot out benchrest rigs.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

nsaqam

Like I said, if there's enough shank to cut a new tenon a 700 barrel will work.

My favorite Remington contours don't have enough shank but then I prefer sporter or lighter contour barrels over the truck axles.

The only savings gleaned from using a used 700 barrel is the difference in price of a new barrel over what you pay for the used one.
    You still have all the same machining to do to a used barrel as you would a new one and you still have a used barrel.

False economy unless the used barrels are nearly free IMO.