Thread: Ejector issue

solocycles

Ejector issue

Had a broken ejector on my model 10 .308 and replaced it with the kit from SSS. Went and shot 2 five round groups and only 6 ejected normally. Is there some kind of break in issue with this kit or am I missing something? Went home and cycled several dummy rounds through the action and things got a little better but still had issues. When cycling the bolt slow and watching it looks like the brass is coming off of the bolt face just as it exits the chamber. Also the brass is very scuffed after a few cycles (like the chamber is rough as hell and dragging on the brass)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The rifle is a great shooter but the ejection issue is driving me a little crazy.

Thanks,

Marty

82boy

Re: Ejector issue

I would guess that your spring is shot, did you replace it?

You might want to check your extraction as well. Sometimes, if the extractor doesn't hold the case against the bolt face during extraction, you'll get weak ejection.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

solocycles

New spring with the ejector. New extractor, ball and spring too. Hopefully will get better. Have owned Savage rifles in the past with no problems. Thanks

Basic Member

If you are getting scratches in the cases right at the shoulder, polish the edges of the action, where the bolt head relief is cut into the receiver, that groove just happens to be the right size to catch 308/243/6mm sized (~.450"-470")cases at the shoulder as the ejector tilts them out. Only takes a small burr or sharp edge to mess with ejection.

Mark a case with magic marker and slowly eject it, see if it 'catches' a few times, look where the scratches are.

gotcha

+1 What Scott says. Also, sharpshooter has a post w/ pics here somewhere regarding extending the cut on the ejector pin to allow the pin more "reach" to better wedge the case against the extractor groove. You can polish the areas Scott refered to by snaking a Dremel flex shaft through the action. Thats how I fixed mine

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    Also, sharpshooter has a post w/ pics here somewhere regarding extending the cut on the ejector pin to allow the pin more "reach" to better wedge the case against the extractor groove.
    The new ejector that SSS has is extended and doesnt need this mod. The thread containing the information your looking for is in the FAQs section.

solocycles

I will check it out. Thanks for the responses

noelfr

Had the same problem. Did all of above. Would watch as I slowly drew back bolt and it would drop into the action. Went through everything repeatedly. Still did it. Then I thought about how I would use it in the field. Tried pulling back bolt rapidly--threw brass across room. Tried again and it worked again. Now if I'm shooting from the bench I retract slowly and pick up brass from action. I told a Remington shooter next to me that this is a custom feature available only on savages. I think there is some drag as the brass exits and smartly actuating the bolt gets it past that and gives it extra "flip".