Thread: Lee case trimmer

308law

Lee case trimmer

I haven't heard much about these, does anybody use these? Are they accurate enough or is the standard lathe type that much better? They are defiantly cheaper and faster.

Basic Member

Re: Lee case trimmer

They are all I use. Fast and simple, use a light battery drill-
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

308 - You can't beat 'em for the money. I use them for all 8 calibers (pistol & rifle) I reload.
    AND.... If you want to adjust the length of the case, you can shorten the tip of the pin & make cases any length you want. If you need longer, don't screw it in all the way.I have a few for for my pistol cases as shorter length brass works better in my wife's .380.

Good stuff for the money. Simple to use for use "not too mechanically inclined" guys.

Have a go at it.
    You won't regret it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

irondog54

They are great! i have good success with them!

Take the money for a lathe type system, and spend it on the Lee system; for all 20 of your rifles!
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    308 - You can't beat 'em for the money. I use them for all 8 calibers (pistol & rifle) I reload.
    AND.... If you want to adjust the length of the case, you can shorten the tip of the pin & make cases any length you want.If you need longer, don't screw it in all the way.I have a few for for my pistol cases as shorter length brass works better in my wife's .380.

Good stuff for the money. Simple to use for use "not too mechanically inclined" guys.

Have a go at it.
    You won't regret it.
    That doesn't really work. I've tried that and during the trimming action the gauge ends up screwing itself into the cutter.

I used to use these.I found that they cut brass shorter than the minimum length. Now I have a Lyman mounted on the bench that came with all the pilots and doesn't use shell holders. Works really good.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

They work very, very well.

They are designed to trim brass to .002-.003 shorter than spec, which is how most brass, including Lapua comes from the factory in my experience.

Basic Member

Trent - spread the threaded shaft a wee bit (not too much or you'll break it off - don't ask me how I know that) and make sure you reduce the diameter of the guide so it doesn't rub on the shell. Works fine. Keep a good sharp cutter & work slowwwww.....

Good luck & have fun

Trent

fgw, I may give that another try. I have another 100 .243win cases that I need to cut most of the neck off to turn it into 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I modified a .243 rod and of course cut it a tiny bit too short.

Basic Member

Sounds intricate, Trent. If you have to remove that much material would it be easier to cut with something like a Dremel?
    Maybe rig up a jig to hold everything level, plumb & square and keep fingers out of the path of anything that rotates?

I have enough trouble reloading for the calibers I have. I'm not ready for modifications & wildcats.... Yet.

Besides, with busuness as slow as it is, my budget for gun stuff has been reduced.

Good luck with it.

EDIT- I forgot to mention the most important part.... I cut a short piece of 8 penny nail & stick it inside the cutter. The threaded part of the cutter is drilled deep enough to where you can make a spacer. I used soft steel (like a nail) so as not to damage the threads. It takes a little time to set up but, you only have to do it once...
    Have fun.

308law

I wonder if anybody makes a case length gauge for the 204 ruger. Lee does not make one, nor do they plan on it.

Burnin-Powder

Dont they make a 222 rem mag. Just cut it down with a drill and a file.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent
    AND.... If you want to adjust the length of the case, you can shorten the tip of the pin & make cases any length you want.If you need longer, don't screw it in all the way.I have a few for for my pistol cases as shorter length brass works better in my wife's .380.

Have a go at it.
    You won't regret it.
    That doesn't really work. I've tried that and during the trimming action the gauge ends up screwing itself into the cutter.
    Want it to trim a little longer without worry about it screwing down shorter again them just put a small washer under the cutter, tighten and trim.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by 308law
    I wonder if anybody makes a case length gauge for the 204 ruger. Lee does not make one, nor do they plan on it.
    Hornady makes a case headspace tool that is universal.

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    Hornady makes a case headspace tool that is universal.
    We're not talking about measuring gauges, we're talking about cutting gauges.

Trent

Like Burnin-powder said, the 222 Rem Mag gauge would do the trick with a little modification. Where you may run into a problem is what is the smallest diameter that the blades will cut. The center is drilled out in order to screw in the gauge rod. If that center hole is bigger than about .200" then you won't get great cuts. For my .204r I use my standard lathe type trimmer. I don't run my .204r that hot though so I don't end up needing to trim it very often.

Trent

Sounds intricate, Trent. If you have to remove that much material would it be easier to cut with something like a Dremel?
    Maybe rig up a jig to hold everything level, plumb & square and keep fingers out of the path of anything that rotates?

I have enough trouble reloading for the calibers I have. I'm not ready for modifications & wildcats.... Yet.

Besides, with busuness as slow as it is, my budget for gun stuff has been reduced.

Good luck with it.

EDIT- I forgot to mention the most important part.... I cut a short piece of 8 penny nail & stick it inside the cutter. The threaded part of the cutter is drilled deep enough to where you can make a spacer. I used soft steel (like a nail) so as not to damage the threads. It takes a little time to set up but, you only have to do it once...
    Have fun.
    What would probably work best would be a trim die and a hacksaw (normal way). But I only have 100 more cases to convert and then I am never doing this again. Converting .243win to 6.5 Creedmoor is not worth the work. I'm just buying factory brass from now on. I had a few hundred .243win cases I bought for this cause they were on sale. Way too much work though.