Thread: Stevens 67 E series 12 ga. pump - problem

texasred777

Stevens 67 E series 12 ga. pump - problem

I looked thru all the Q & As and found several threads about the 67 E, but no reference to my problem. When I fire the gun, and try to eject the hull, the slide will not move until I press the release. It doesn't do this all the time, just sometimes. I have not took the gun apart to look at it yet. Thought I might get some info on what to look for when I take it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From what I can find about the gun, it is one of the later models. It has the choke tubes and the vented rib. The serial number is 3790xxxDN. Can anyone date it for me? Thanks for any info sent!

Oh, this is NOT when there are no shells left in the magazine. This is when the magazine has shells in it to be loaded that the slide won't move without pressing the release.

Sorry, wrong section. Please delete if this is the wrong section. I'm confused.

Red Bohica

Re: Stevens 67 E series 12 ga. pump - problem

Tex...

I have a Savage Model 170 that does the exact same thing!

The action of the 170 is derived from the model 67.

Go here...... (you may have to do a "cut & paste")

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...1702516-1.html

About halfway down the article is the paragraph.....
    -----------------------
    Another key part in this slide lock assembly is the slide lock release spring. Like the slide lock spring, this little spring can be damaged easily. Most of the time, the spring is damaged by not being properly in place when the rifle is reassembled and fired. This part is not hard to obtain and interchanges in several models. The springs for the two-piece slide lock are also different from those in the one-piece slide. It is usually easy to straighten these to their original shape but remember, they all have a small bend close to the center. If this bend is not there, it will not work right.
    -----------------------

I would guess that this spring has something to do with the problem. It shows as number 65 in the diagram in the article.

Hope this helps.

Red

texasred777

Red, I sure appreciate the info. I'll probably be 'caught up' with some things around the house later today and will check it out. I'll let you know what I find. Again, thanks!

wrangler

I have a 67-H 12 ga pump and a model 170 pump 30-30 (actually a Revelation model 260 which is the Savage model 170 series B). when the gun is fired, there is a lug on the left side of the hammer which catches a hooked spring on the slide lock and pulls the release down & unlocks it.

the guns are really easy to dis-assemble. remove the buttplate, remove the stock, loosen the trigger assembly screw, tap out the trigger assembly pin (only goes 1 way), take out the trigger assembly screw, pull out the trigger assembly being careful to hold the slide lock onto the assembly until you see how it fits so that you will know how to re-assemble. slide the forearm towards the rear & use a screwdriver to gently pry the pump arm from the bolt. the bolt will the slide out the rear.

My 170 in 30-30 was having a terrible feed problem. I took it apart and polished everything with #0000 steel wool and lightly oiled everthing. be sure to remove the cartridge stop on the inside of the receiver and clean really good behind it. (there is a small nut on the screw holding the stop to the receiver - don't lose it). Just this cleaning made my rifle operate like new with no feed problems. I think my biggest problem was the rust & gunk behind the cartridge stop.

this article talks in detail about the slide lock operation and the dis-assemble and re-assembly. once you dis-assemble the gun a couple of times, it will only take about 5 minutes to completely take the gun apart and put it back together including removal of the fore arm & magazine.

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...1702516-1.html

texasred777

Well, I finally got around to taking the 67E apart. I found that the hook of the spring was not even close to being caught by the 'pin' on the hammer. After about an hour of bending, rebending, etc., I think I have the problem solved. I won't know for sure until I get out to fire it few times. I may get a chance later today or tomorrow to try it.
    Red, Wrangler, I found the website you referred me to be a lot of help. Thanks to all and I'll let you know as soon as I find out how well it works.

texasred777

Got out with the pump yesterday. After a couple of shots, the slide started locking again. I'll try to get back into it again in a few days.

Basic Member
    Red.....I hope you can post a pic of the spring w/ the correct bend in it. My 67D has had the same issue. Depending on how I adjust it the slide either always locks...or never locks.

Jeff

texasred777
    Well, after much delay, I have some info. I took the gun apart, tried every bend and angle that I thought possible; but couldn't get the hammer to catch the spring properly. My hammer was worn and also the bushing that it works on. I ordered a new hammer, hammer bushing, release lever, and spring from Numrich. Got the parts, installed them, and if anything, it was worse than before I installed the new parts. I decided to call Numrich's customer service. I was told by a recorded message that if I had any questions about parts, that I should get in touch with my gunsmith. So much for 'customer service'. I guess Numrich is just a seller of parts. Oh, well. I got my pliers and bent the spring a little, then a little more, until it worked. I believe that the gun should work ok although I have not yet had it out in the field. I'll try to go out some time this week or next and check it out. I have some spent shotshells and loaded them into the magazine. I pulled the trigger, pumped the slide, and repeated for all 5 shells. No problems. I can't post pictures here. ??? Probably don't have enough posts or something. If you will send me your email address, you can have the pictures that I posted on another site, with the info inscripted on the photos. I posted the info on 'Shooters Forum'. I'll try to check after while to see why I'm not allowed to post here. Maybe I can post some after that.
    Well, I don't 'do' photobucket' anymore. So if you can see the post on the other web site- ok; if not, send me an email address and I'll send you some photos and info.
    Last edited by texasred777; 10-30-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Update about posting photos

texasred777
    After a year and a half, I finally got out with the 67E and shot it some. It worked just fine. I fired it, worked the slide, fired it, worked the slide, fired it, and ejected the last casing. No problems.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasred777 View Post
    After a year and a half, I finally got out with the 67E and shot it some. It worked just fine. I fired it, worked the slide, fired it, worked the slide, fired it, and ejected the last casing. No problems.
    I hear ya.....I haven't had mine out to shoot it since my last post. Glad to hear you got yours adjusted right.

texasred777
    lonestarjeff, I ran into the same problem that you did. If I bent the spring a little too far, the slide would not release, if too far the other way, it stayed released. I guess I just found the right angle. The pictures that I've seen showing this spring, show it bent almost in a very narrow 'V'. I found that if it was bent like the pics show, it doesn't work. If I straightened it a little, it was better.

Basic Member
    Thanks Red. I'll keep that in mind. The 67 lives at the farm, so it'll have to wait until I'm back up there next weekend.