Thread: 1927 300 Savage 99

1927 300 Savage 99

Hi all,

I've decided to give my grandfather's old 300 Savage 99 some much needed TLC. Until this weekend, I believe it hadn't been fired, or cared for, in about 20 years. The stock is dinged up and the bluing is pretty rusted.

Can someone point me to any existing advice, or provide some if there isn't, for cleaning up a gun in this condition? The bore is fine and it shoots fine, but I sure wish I could mount a scope easily on this guy since I don't expect to get enough accuracy for a 200 yard vital shot on mule deer here in NM. Stiths seem pricey and tapping seems rude. My main goal is to get rid of the rusting, if possible.

I have almost no intentions (never say never) of selling this, but I do hope retain value in addition to the sentimental value it holds. My favorite thing about it was opening up the buttplate and discovering my grandpa's survival kit. How cool.

Thanks, Ephraim

Above photo shows a broken, but retained, piece of the stock.

Some 0000 steel wool and some rem oil rubbed lightly on the rusted areas will help that a lot. You can find some stock kits online if you wanted to replace the original but I would hang on to the old ones so you could put it back to original if you wanted to.

I don't plan on doing much with the original stock other than gluing that piece back in. I'll give the 0000 & oil trick a shot and update.

Also, I bought some ammo. Phew. that sure took a lot of weight out of my wallet...

Uncle Jack
    Save the brass. You can probably get one of your buddies to reload it for you.

uj

stainless scouring pad and kroil rubed pretty firmly will take most of the rust off. the rifle is a take down, makes it worth much more.

Quote Originally Posted by melroych View Post
    stainless scouring pad and kroil rubed pretty firmly will take most of the rust off. the rifle is a take down, makes it worth much more.
    Thanks, the takedown fact explains the design but I didn't realize they even made them. Great info!

I don't know if I'd use a scouring pad, thats pretty coarse, the fine steel wool seems to be better in my mind but I've never used a scouring pad, just seems like it would take alot more finish off.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    I was taught to start with the minimum and go from there. You don't want do any more damage.

To start I'd use Kroil, Liquid Wrench or a similar penetrate on a paper towel or piece of a brown paper bag, both are mildly abrasive then move to 4-0 steel wool, 3-0 and finally 2-0 with the penetrate.

Bill

I was talking to my dad about this gun the other week and he told me it was his father's favorite rifle. At one point it had a octagon barrel but he swapped it out and regretted doing that from then on.

By the way, I cleaned it up pretty well thanks to all of the advice here. Not perfect, but I still need to find some Kroil.