Thread: And now the project begins

And now the project begins

Started as a 7 MM mag

It kicked as a mule, so..... I changed bolt head, firing pin and put on a 30-06 used barrel

Now the reason to buy the 7 Mag - New 257 Weatherby Criterion barrel with 1:10 twist Varment Taper, stock will be a Richard Microfit Wildcat Thumb hole Tigerwood Laminate, action will be Durocoated in Colt Grey

Now the fun will begin, disassemble will start, coating hopefully this weekend, stock should be in next week
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Re: And now the project begins

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

deerhunter85

+1 I have wanted a 257 weatherby for along time what cal. 110 can I buy and just change barrels

Any magnum caliber, 7 MM mag, 300 win Mag will have the correct bolt head, those two will be the easier calibers to find in the used market with the bolt head you need. FYI its not hard to change out a bolt head and firing pin, even I did it. :0
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

After taking everything apart

Painted parts ready to go back together, Paint turned out great, Colt Gray, Only complaint was the amount of propellant they sent was just enough to spray an ounce. Glad that was all I needed but, I ordered a kit that contained 4oz of paint. Would have not been good if I had planned on using the whole 4 oz.

Parts ready to go back together, still waiting on my Richards Microfit stock. This Savage stock will have to do until it gets in.

Put together, head spaced, just need a stock.

Dano5001

Very nice, I have wanted a .257 Wby for years, Is Criterion now offering this chambering? or did you have to provide the reamer?

Criterion had the reamer. I got the barrel through Jim at Northlands Shooters Supply. I think they use to supply barrels for Weatherby, so I guess they dusted off one of their old reamers laying around? Jim might could answer your questions better on where they got the reamer.