Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new scale...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Time for a new scale...

As the title says, it's time for a new scale. Anyone have a recommendation on what they're using?
    I'd like to stay away from electronic stuff. Balance type scales don't run out of batteries and they don't act strange near static materials, etc.

Also, balance type scales are what I've grown acustomed to.

Anybody recommend one that I won't need to take a mortgage out on?

Thanks in advance,
    Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

82boy

Re: Time for a new scale...

The best scale period is a RCBS 1010, it will run you around $150-160 new. Has the best warentee in the world. I personaly would not buy one new, they can be found on forum site, and on ebay for much less. RCBS doesn't make the sale it is actulay made by OHAUS, try that on an ebay search. OHAUS also made scales for Lyman that is why the Lyman m5 looks like a RCBS 10/10 because it is the same scale. You should be able to get a good one for around $60-$75 bucks used. If you desire the utmost in accuracy there was a guy on 6Br that would tuen the 10/10's to pick up on a grain of powder diference. He also sold tuned scales are great prices.

just a FYI OHAUS also makes powder measures, for some reason it is identical to the Forster becnhrest model.

For a balance scale I use a Lee.
    Inexpensive, accurate, repeatable, reliable.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker
    For a balance scale I use a Lee.
    Inexpensive, accurate, repeatable, reliable.
    While it is not my primary scale, I do agree. People beat up the Lee scale, but it works well for most everything as long as consistancy is the goal. It is NOT highly accurate across the entire "range" of it's own scale. (IE - not accurate at both ends of the scale). What I use it for is to have a tertiary check on the charges as I load. 1st is the Weight of the RCBS Charge Master (0.1 gr +- 0.1) then I tweak with my precision scale (0.01gr +- 0.005gr), and then lastly on the LEE Safety Scale balance beam. I ensure that the Lee is accurate by setting the Lee on the target weight and then adjusting the balance to be dead-nuts for the charge I'm throwing. That way, anything after that is calibrated on the LEE....

Just my 2 cents...
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

I too am using the Lee and MINE has been highly repeatable and very accurate. However a buddy just started reloading and the one he got would not repeat a charge if it was in the 40-50gr level. No idea why, but it just wouldn't. Lee is going to take of this and are supposed to be sending him a new one.

That said I have had good luck with Lee Equipment especially their dies and would not hesitate to give them a try.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I too like the Lee.
    Mine has always been accurate and has given me no problems in 15 years of use.
    I have had no problems with precision but if you want to make it even more precise you can tape a straight pin to the pointer.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I'm dumbfounded on the repeatability aspect. Doesn't seem possible (at least from the physics). Only thing I can think of is he is moving it too much and the fulcrum is disturbed enough to throw it off (very possible given the Lee design - I've done it and proved it). Accuracy - on the otherhand - is RARELY going to be that good (remember - across the entire scale). I find that the Lee scale is probably tuned in somewhere in the lower end. Even so, just the design of the 1/10ths right hand slide is NOT repeateable enough to get the accuracy MOST of us are looking for. Again... as for repeatablity, I think the Lee is excellent when used correctly.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member

Funny you guys should mention Lee scales. Mine has worked flawlessly. Right up to the point when my grandkid chased the cat, the cat ran across the room, the dog got involved, the cat looked for an escape route & my bench was it. After I picked up the scale, I noticed the blade that runs between the magnets broke off. I super glued all the pieces but....
    It won't repeat zero or any weight.

Like I said. Time for a new scale.

And, I have to agree completely. I hear the Lee scale described as everything from junk to toy like. Mine worked fine with no complaints.

It seemed especially accurate in the low end when I load .380's for my wife's carry pistol.

It served well..... :'( It will be missed.

I guess I'll look in the used area however, I won't rule out getting a new Lee. They only cost a few bucks.

Services for my scale will be held on Friday at 3pm if you want to attend.

Thanks for the input.

"Scaleless" Frank in Fla.

Florida huh? Will the burial be at sea? and are the wahoo biting yet?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member

I just checked my Lee balance scale compared to my equally cheap Hornady digital scale for various weights from about 20gr to about 90gr. Both compared well for all of the checks. I am confused by one would think the Lee is not accurate across its range, or why the means for setting the .1gr is not repeatable either. It is fine for a comparison operation, which is what most do when loading ammo. Now, for weighing something, the balance scale is not the easiest to use, but for loading I dont weigh things, I add powder till it balances and the tare setting is not changed.

Do you really care if you always put 55.5gr in and worked up to that level safely in your gun and are happy with the results, or that you always put that same amount in regardless if it is actually 55.3gr (doubtfull this is the case however). Just always do the same thing with the same equipment and you should be fine.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member

I have about 25 beam scales (and a few digial)
    The normal range of RCBS scales (502,505,5-10, 10/10) work well, They all
    share a common knife edge, floating Agate bearing system so none is more
    accurate than the other. I use a RCBS 502 for all my own reloading and it is sensitive
    enough to register a single kernel of varget.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dnVOoGd1bDU

The RCBS 5-10 scale is no longer made but is a good scale if you can find
    one. The 10/10 is a good quality scale but I think, a little over damped making it a bit sluggish in use. I like the Redding No 2 scale, it's a straight forward scale with easy to
    read markings, it's sensitive and accurate.

The Hornady/Pacific scale works well but is a bit "agricultural" and not so
    sensitive as the RCBS or Redding scale.

I'm not a lover of the newer Lyman scales, especially the later ones with a
    plastic base but the older Lymans were made by Ohaus (painted grey) and were
    fine.

Ohaus make all the RCBS scales so you may see any of the range painted grey
    and sold as Ohaus scales.

So - I would recommend a 502, 505 or a Redding No 2.

gotcha

WOW ! Don't know which impressed me the most. The trickler.... the scale or the TV monitor. Great video Allen

Basic Member

Allan - Very cool set up. Infact, extremely cool
    When did you say you'd like to come to Florida to set me up with something like that?
    It doesn't have to be quite that cool. I can get by with a smaller video screen

Basic Member

Thanks for the comments guys - The humble beam scale is a remarkable piece of kit for a mass produced item, there can't be many items that you can spend $100 on, use it every week and when you pass it on to your Grandson it still works as good as new.

If you are interested in scales or care about weighing your powder I have made another couple of videos about tuning scales;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gTElTMWgc3Q

The webcam cost about $12 and plugs straight into the usb port of the laptop and a bracket can be made out of a bit of Aluminium strip or could just be free standing in front of the scale. It elliminates any parallax problems and makes it much easier on the eyes.

You can do a google search and find out about the Targetmaster trickler, there is plenty of feedback on the forums.

efw

I got a Redding years ago... you just can't go wrong w/ their stuff. It's a bit more than RCBS ($80), but I think it is worth it, personally.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658...grain-capacity

Basic Member

I use a Dillon beam scale. Made by Ohaus. Works great and is $69 brand new!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    Funny you guys should mention Lee scales. Mine has worked flawlessly. Right up to the point when my grandkid chased the cat, the cat ran across the room, the dog got involved, the cat looked for an escape route & my bench was it. After I picked up the scale, I noticed the blade that runs between the magnets broke off. I super glued all the pieces but....
    It won't repeat zero or any weight.

Like I said. Time for a new scale.

And, I have to agree completely. I hear the Lee scale described as everything from junk to toy like. Mine worked fine with no complaints.

It seemed especially accurate in the low end when I load .380's for my wife's carry pistol.

It served well..... :'( It will be missed.

I guess I'll look in the used area however, I won't rule out getting a new Lee. They only cost a few bucks.

Services for my scale will be held on Friday at 3pm if you want to attend.

Thanks for the input.

"Scaleless" Frank in Fla.
    Now if that had been an RCBS 1010 they would have fixed it free. They did mine. Lifetime guarantee and they dont ask questions. Worth every penny.

Basic Member

Handi - Now that you mention that tid-bit of info, I think I'll call Lee Precision on Monday. They've been real good with replacing things I wore out or broke. Like the decapping rods in my FS dies. They replaced them twice. I just got a package today with the toggle piece for my press. It's cast garbage can metal & I snapped it while NSing some 30.06 cases. They sent both halves - no questions & didn't want the old pieces.
    Not a bad idea.... Worst case - they say NO!

Basic Member

Yup! That was what I figured when I called RCBS a few years ago. Had a stuck case, and all the stickers on my scale were peeling off. They sent me a new powder pan (old one had broken handle) new stickers, and cleared the stuck case AND sent a new sizing die. LEE just might do the same, worth a call for sure.

bigmig

The Gempro 250 is the most accurate scale I have found in my research. Consitently 0.01 grains from what I understand. I'll bet it beats any RCBS any day of the week. A bit pricey though.
    I use a Hornady Bench Scale. No problems so far. I just couldn't afford $165 for my first scale.

Basic Member
    This is the thread you were thinking of Frank - The trickler is a Targetmaster auto trickler.

Just google "Targetmaster trickler" and you will find loads of information and the website.

Ishooter
    I have been using the RCBS 502 for the past 20 years and it is as good as it gets. I think they are now up to about $80.00 now. I need to get a second one to check the first one. I don't trust the electric ones.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
    I have been using the RCBS 502 for the past 20 years and it is as good as it gets. I think they are now up to about $80.00 now. I need to get a second one to check the first one. I don't trust the electric ones.
    How about getting a set of checkweights?

Basic Member
    I had a RCBS 505, and used a buddy's 1010. Both worked well, but I ended up buying a Redding like the above link. Best scale I've ever used. It will read 1 kernal easily.

Clint KY
    Have you contacted Lee to see what if anything they can do to fix your scale? Many stories of Lee honoring their warrantee long after the time period is gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast